Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jul 20, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #3,287 of 4,748
No doubt. It's quite HD800ish.It's the easiest way I'm findind to describe it. Very wide, detailed, but not something for very bright recordings.

I considered it, but somehow it seemed to lack that EX1000 aura. Perhaps my initial choice (XBA-Z5) was the sweet spot. But I couldn't get myself to re-buy it after the fiasco of the first attempt, especially because it was more expensive than the EX1000 (at least in the sources I checked).

It is indeed. It's perhaps the first IEM that leaves me satisfied enough to be less voracious about trying new ones. That slowdown might continue until CA comes up with something substantially better. It would be hard not to want to try that.

Soundstage is great indeed, and I know what you mean regarding noise. The open design is a bit vulnerable to external noise, ruining low level detail.

SpiralDots don't work indeed,got the signature even brighter. I did notice a bit of warmup and less sibilance with the filtered Comply, so foam might work. The original silicones aren't bad tho.

Sill checking them out. Part of the problem is that the price ended up being very high, wish is making me more demanding than justified, maybe. At around $500 they're still really good. Have to keep in mind that the Andromeda used in the comparison costs more than twice than much. Still, have to determine if it will add enough to the collectionto keep them, otherwise I might let them go.

Something I noticed is that this big a@s driver and design seem to responde a lot to EQ tweaks. Actually wondering if it's possible to tame the treble a bit on some albums with a bit of EQ and get to keep the good parts with a bit more smoothness.

Interesting and tough call. The EX1000 vs Andromeda. Both would sorta fill the generally "neutral" category, or at least would make decent references. EX1000 has the DD sound, while the Andromedas sound characteristically BA. This being a preference call more than anything it seems. I would say that I do prefer the Andromeda more in this sense, speed and immediacy being the best aspects of IEMs for me.

I'd personally consider going either Andro-Vega/ EX-1000 Vega I suppose, though having the EX-1000 around is great! Vega vs AKT8iE is yet another worthy comparison, but one that I haven't had the opportunity to make yet.

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #3,288 of 4,748
Got a pair of those a few hours ago and currently listening to them through a Juli@ and a Sansui AU-7700 amp. They are very good, well balanced if a tad hot but I didn't feel I needed to use my amp tone controls so far. I was afraid the treble peak was going to be near unbearable but that doesn't seem to be the case gladly.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #3,289 of 4,748

Interesting. I've used Comply TX400 and TSX400 with them, and they do have a thin mesh filter, which along with the foam seems to smoothen the EX down a bit.

Got a pair of those a few hours ago and currently listening to them through a Juli@ and a Sansui AU-7700 amp. They are very good, well balanced if a tad hot but I didn't feel I needed to use my amp tone controls so far. I was afraid the treble peak was going to be near unbearable but that doesn't seem to be the case gladly.

They're definitely not as harsh as I expected based on the comments of some users, but it's no doubt still a very bright sound.

Bass is good in terms of overall quality and decay, but given the huge driver, it was not as impacting as I expected. Not necessarily a big problem by itself tho, especially given how well it EQs.

Interesting and tough call. The EX1000 vs Andromeda. Both would sorta fill the generally "neutral" category, or at least would make decent references. EX1000 has the DD sound, while the Andromedas sound characteristically BA. This being a preference call more than anything it seems. I would say that I do prefer the Andromeda more in this sense, speed and immediacy being the best aspects of IEMs for me.

I couldn't resist and ended up doing more comparisons with both. Late at night, in a quiet room where the EX1000 could play at its best. Not because they're in the same product area (different price, different design, even very different availability) but perhap because it's tempting to compare something new with your current favorite.

I cannot get past a mild sense of disappointment when I do the Andro>EX switch. I like the EX1000, but they are not giving me that sense of being a model I couldn't live without. A model I'd worry about losing and not being able to buy again for some reason.

Some quick impressions while 1:1 with the Andromeda...

Goods:
- Nice iconic charisma.
- Good build quality given the age, but nothing particularly amazing by present standards.
- Excellent air and soundstage, good width, but depth and height are a bit less impressive.
- Somewhat permeable to outside noise (might be a con, depending on perspective).
- Nice level of detail.
- Despite the weird shape, ergonomics and comfort are excellent.
- Reacts very well to EQ, easy to boost bass a bit if needed or smoothen the treble peak a bit.

Less good:
- Clean, quality bass, but not particularly visceral. Sub-bass is lacking. Something like "Why So Serious (Dark Knight OST) or Massive Attack's "Blue Lines" miss a bit of punch.
- Lots of low level detail is lost when not listening in a quiet environment (even AC/computer fan hums affect it a bit).
- Timbre is a bit on the metallic side, which combined with the bright signature can make them a bit fatiguing.
- Separation and layering, as well as position is quite behind the Andromeda. This is actually the aspect where I notice a big difference and it's something I miss.
- Feels a bit distant sometimes. Mid-range is good but somehow the whole signature can feel too lean, too distant. I noticed this makes me raise the volume more than I normally would.

I'd personally consider going either Andro-Vega/ EX-1000 Vega I suppose, though having the EX-1000 around is great! Vega vs AKT8iE is yet another worthy comparison, but one that I haven't had the opportunity to make yet.

I haven't been paying all that much attention to the Vega since I don't think I would particularly love the signature, but perhaps I should reconsider. Or maybe I'm a BA fanboy and was not aware. At the moment, I suppose surpassing the Andromeda in the same price range (or less) would be a good objective.

As for the EX1000, I'll spend some time with them this weekend, but at 500 EUR I'm seriously struggling. I wanted them for a long time after the XBA-Z5 purchase failed, but perhaps it was not the right model for me.

The biggest issues are those two points in the "less good". With the Andromeda instruments seem so well separated. Everything in its place, sounding natural. With the EX1000 everything feels a bit more bundled together, more normalized. It feels wide and airy, but less realistic. This is more obvious with quality acoustic recordings (think something like Doug MacLeod's "There's a Time" on Chesky).

Yup, I like them. But I don't 500 like-them, so sadly, I've already printed the return papers. Which believe me, is rare. I have never returned any ear-toys before, except for the Shure SE846 (good fun, lovely IEM, but the treble roll off was an itch I was never able to scratch and was driving me nuts).

You never know, might be missing something. A couple more days with the EX1000 should help prove or disprove this.

In the dynamid driver market, perhaps I should try the Vega. But I don't know any place around here that would allow a return or has a unit to test. Also not cheap to import them, we're talking around €1.350, Wouldn't mind parting with the funds if it is an Andromeda-like experience, but it's too risky to get them without trying.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #3,290 of 4,748
I haven't been paying all that much attention to the Vega since I don't think I would particularly love the signature, but perhaps I should reconsider. Or maybe I'm a BA fanboy and was not aware. At the moment, I suppose surpassing the Andromeda in the same price range (or less) would be a good objective.

As for the EX1000, I'll spend some time with them this weekend, but at 500 EUR I'm seriously struggling. I wanted them for a long time after the XBA-Z5 purchase failed, but perhaps it was not the right model for me.

The biggest issues are those two points in the "less good". With the Andromeda instruments seem so well separated. Everything in its place, sounding natural. With the EX1000 everything feels a bit more bundled together, more normalized. It feels wide and airy, but less realistic. This is more obvious with quality acoustic recordings (think something like Doug MacLeod's "There's a Time" on Chesky).

Yup, I like them. But I don't 500 like-them, so sadly, I've already printed the return papers. Which believe me, is rare. I have never returned any ear-toys before, except for the Shure SE846 (good fun, lovely IEM, but the treble roll off was an itch I was never able to scratch and was driving me nuts).

You never know, might be missing something. A couple more days with the EX1000 should help prove or disprove this.

In the dynamid driver market, perhaps I should try the Vega. But I don't know any place around here that would allow a return or has a unit to test. Also not cheap to import them, we're talking around €1.350, Wouldn't mind parting with the funds if it is an Andromeda-like experience, but it's too risky to get them without trying.

1) I think BA sound may partly be your thing. I'm going out on a limb here haha, but if you like that separation, immediacy, layering, etc. BA's tend to perform fantastically in those areas. DD has this generally more cohesive sound (and I say generally, bc there are atrocious DD's that sound, bad), but you'll lose out on the above.

2) May not be the right model. I recognized that it was good, but there's a reason I took the less well-known/loved EX-800ST. Granted, EX-800ST technical capabilities don't punch beyond its weight class like the ER4 does, but it's pleasant and when driven correctly in a quiet environment it does good work. Fit for me is still difficult and annoying at times.

3) 846 was hyped a lot. Decent, but not good enough. Noble 6 (old one) was superior, personally.

4) if it doesn't work out, return is a great option. The Vega is great fun - lacks the same timbre and textural accuracy (dare I say) as the Andromeda. But overall, it's got a bass-boosted, pleasing, signature. Hard to hate really unless you're vehemently opposed to bass. I do agree you might want to try it before buying just in case - sounds tricky where u are m8. AKT8iE mk2/ Xelento are certainly worth a try too - they're interesting and a fellow enthusiast friend of mine swears by them. Apparently the DN-3001 is amazing (and this is coming from someone whose ears I trust).

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #3,291 of 4,748

I think BAs may just be your thing. I feel the opposite regarding realism, the separation on BAs tends to sound exaggerated and artificial to me, comparable to an oversharpened photo. That said, the Andromedas are among the best BA based IEMs I've heard and I'd only rate the ProPhile 8 even a tad higher.

As @thatonenoob says, you might like the Xelentos, they're more tuned towards utmost separation / detail than the EX1000. In general though, DDs offer a slightly more blended sound than BAs.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #3,292 of 4,748

The ex1000s just need to be burned in and your opinion will change, they're reference quality, if I lost them I'd buy them again without any hesitation.

Btw the ex1000s are around 330 euros in Japan, you could always purchase from Rakuten.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #3,294 of 4,748
20170723_123556[1].jpg

I love mine.
Find them to be superior to all other IEM without qualification (besides tip rolling, crap stock wire)

There are my ref set. I can pick out the finest minutia on any track if it is there and other IEM don't seem to show it the EX1000 always do.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #3,295 of 4,748
Have you heard the andromedas yet? You may really like it!

I tried all the Campfire Audio including the Andromeda and prefer the ex1000s, they have a wider soundstage and more accurate time alignment. The one IEM that I found superb was the Nobile Encore, they're just above what I'm willing to spend for an IEM. I have a pair of Fitear TG334s ordered and should have them in 1-2 months.

I love mine.
Find them to be superior to all other IEM without qualification (besides tip rolling, crap stock wire)

There are my ref set. I can pick out the finest minutia on any track if it is there and other IEM don't seem to show it the EX1000 always do.

Same here. The only things I don't particularly like are the ergonomics and looks, but when they sound this good... who cares. I'll see if Brise Audio can make me a set of balanced cables.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #3,296 of 4,748

I love mine.

Wait, is that... Already!? Some people just get all the new toys first

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #3,297 of 4,748
1) I think BA sound may partly be your thing. I'm going out on a limb here haha, but if you like that separation, immediacy, layering, etc. BA's tend to perform fantastically in those areas. DD has this generally more cohesive sound (and I say generally, bc there are atrocious DD's that sound, bad), but you'll lose out on the above.

I'm starting to get that impression. But I like some DD traits too. Perhaps it's time to try more hybrids.

May not be the right model. I recognized that it was good, but there's a reason I took the less well-known/loved EX-800ST. Granted, EX-800ST technical capabilities don't punch beyond its weight class like the ER4 does, but it's pleasant and when driven correctly in a quiet environment it does good work. Fit for me is still difficult and annoying at times.

I skipped the 800 totally as the descriptions about the signature seemed to match my preferences more with the 1000. Didn't fully work out in practice tho. Perhaps the problem is that I like them, but was expecting to really like them a lot.

In terms of fit and comfort, I have to say I have zero issues with the EX1000. They're very comfy for me and I like the way they don't even touch your ears and just kinda float there held by the soft rubber.[/QUOTE]

846 was hyped a lot. Decent, but not good enough. Noble 6 (old one) was superior, personally.

Yes. It's such a fun IEM, but only for some times of music. The treble roll off makes it sound as if it is lacking so much detail and resolution, I'm surprised it still costs so much.

if it doesn't work out, return is a great option.

I haven't had time to listen much in the past days, so there's still the possibility I'll hear things differently. But the return papers are printed.

if it doesn't work out, return is a great option.
The Vega is great fun - lacks the same timbre and textural accuracy (dare I say) as the Andromeda. But overall, it's got a bass-boosted, pleasing, signature. Hard to hate really unless you're vehemently opposed to bass. I do agree you might want to try it before buying just in case - sounds tricky where u are m8. AKT8iE mk2/ Xelento are certainly worth a try too - they're interesting and a fellow enthusiast friend of mine swears by them. Apparently the DN-3001 is amazing (and this is coming from someone whose ears I trust).[/QUOTE]

All interesting suggestions. I've looked into the Xelento before. But it will be tricky to be able to listen before buying, with all of those.

I think BAs may just be your thing. I feel the opposite regarding realism, the separation on BAs tends to sound exaggerated and artificial to me, comparable to an oversharpened photo. That said, the Andromedas are among the best BA based IEMs I've heard and I'd only rate the ProPhile 8 even a tad higher.

I'm not sure the type of sound I like is realistic, but to me it sounds more natural, as what I would listen at a small room with different instruments playing. In many of Jordi Savall's recordings you can pinpoint which instrument is playing and where. They sound as if they're in different layers, but it all combines cohesively in the Andromeda. With the EX1000 the tone is more linear, There's a lot of air, but less difference between the timbre of instruments. A DD trait, certainly.

The ex1000s just need to be burned in and your opinion will change, they're reference quality, if I lost them I'd buy them again without any hesitation.

That's a good sentence to define IEMs one likes. "I'd buy them again if I lost them". That's the feeling I'm not getting, although I like them. It's as if they're rated "quite good" but not "my precious". :D

Unsure about burn-in. Might change tone but after these years in the hobby I haven't had a single case where burn-in made enough difference for me to start liking (or disliking) something.

If you mean a more mental burn-in, that's possible for sure. I haven't listened to the EX1000 long enough to learn all its particularities and really strong points (although some of the weak are faster to notice). If the afternoon at the office is a bit quiet today, I'm definitely going to check out a few good albums with them.

Btw the ex1000s are around 330 euros in Japan, you could always purchase from Rakuten.

That's almost the same I paid. Well, I paid a lot more, but that's because it got the VAT added (+23%), plus a few minor fees and shipping.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #3,298 of 4,748
One thing not mentioned here is isolation. Andromeda will be substantially better as the Sony has both front and rear registers (vents). Not a sound quality issue when in quiet environments but something to remember. Funny how so many of this type of large dynamics had all the supposed benefits of Adel/Apex long before it was introduced to other IEMs. Personally, I like high isolation but that's a choice and not a qualitative decision.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #3,299 of 4,748
One thing not mentioned here is isolation. Andromeda will be substantially better as the Sony has both front and rear registers (vents). Not a sound quality issue when in quiet environments but something to remember. Funny how so many of this type of large dynamics had all the supposed benefits of Adel/Apex long before it was introduced to other IEMs. Personally, I like high isolation but that's a choice and not a qualitative decision.

Very true. The EX1000 can only shine when the background noise is low. It's probably the price to pay for the airy signature.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #3,300 of 4,748
I don't think beowulf's pair will change with burn-in as I bought a used pair that has probably hundred of hours or more considering the wear of the paint on the shells and my impressions match his.

I too have the option of returning them but I I am keeping them as I don't have anything else that's so resolving, now I know that the lack of resolution /tizziness/fuzzyness in highs I experience with everything else I have is not down to limitations of my dac and amp nor to resonance in my ear canals, it's just that all my other iems aren't good enough. this said they probably won't become my go-to pair as they are a bit too smooth for my taste and are terrible on poorly recorded or mixed material which I have a lot of.

I am getting a pair of IE800 later this week and it'll be interesting to compare them. Not sure if either still qualifies as TOTL those days with all that's out there but that's going to be the best I will have for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back