Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jul 25, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #3,301 of 4,748
Very true. The EX1000 can only shine when the background noise is low. It's probably the price to pay for the airy signature.

Yep isolation is poor with the ex1000s. So far nothing beats its timbre and coherence, I was slack-jawed when listening to FKA Twigs' Pendulum.

I'll make a trip to Akihabara e-earphones to check out the Ocharaku Flat4s and Donguri which are also DD.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #3,302 of 4,748
of all the iems i currently own (andros, fitear parterre, ibasso it03, ex1000, f111, ex800st, noble X just sold my tg334), only fitear F111 and ex1000 qualify as "desert island" iems i don't want to be without. Only caveat is that ime, the ex1000 benefits from quality linear power more than most BA iems.

And of all the DD iems i have tried (Vega, Lyra 1&2, Xelento, AK8T, Pioneer SE CH9) the sony siblings still strike the best balance between cost, sonic and technical compromises, tho the beyer/ak are possible the most comfy iem i've worn.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #3,303 of 4,748
After long wanting a decent iem,i finally bit the bullet and ordered these today. I was going for either .ca jupiter, akg n40, or Sony xba z5, somehow I kept seeing ex1000, and after much reading the last 2 days, decided why not give it a shot. I'm not looking for strong isolation, so I'll be good with that aspect. For mowing my lawn, things of that sort, I'll still use my havi b3 or magaosi k3pro. Can't wait to hear them. I'm hoping these can be my hifiman he4 equivalent in iems, in terms of price to performance, and relative popularity, or lack thereof. Happy to join the club of ex1000 owners

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #3,304 of 4,748
0728171622a[1].jpg

Meet my girls, Sonya and Audrey.

One does what the other can't, so they both satisfy me in there own special way.

Love them both

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #3,305 of 4,748

Meet my girls, Sonya and Audrey.

One does what the other can't, so they both satisfy me in there own special way.

Love them both

Is that the 10 or 20? I was also interested in the i20 but held off for now, as it serves as more of a replacement to an open back headphone for me than an iem. Nonetheless they are extremely appealing to me.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #3,307 of 4,748
After long wanting a decent iem,i finally bit the bullet and ordered these today. I was going for either .ca jupiter, akg n40, or Sony xba z5, somehow I kept seeing ex1000, and after much reading the last 2 days, decided why not give it a shot. I'm not looking for strong isolation, so I'll be good with that aspect. For mowing my lawn, things of that sort, I'll still use my havi b3 or magaosi k3pro. Can't wait to hear them. I'm hoping these can be my hifiman he4 equivalent in iems, in terms of price to performance, and relative popularity, or lack thereof. Happy to join the club of ex1000 owners

Hemi, when you get the ex1000s make sure you use spinfits tips. I just received the Symbio tips and the ex1000s sound a little thin.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #3,308 of 4,748
Ya I need to order some spinfits, I thought I had some, somewhere, but can't seem to find them. I also need some time with the ex1000 to figure out tip size in the 1st place. Luckily I have a little collection of tips, nothing special, but should let me know what size will work with the 1000. I always wore mediums, with everything, but the magaosi k3 actually is best for me with large, so it'll be interesting to see what the Sony needs. I have a feeling it'll take a while, but thanks to the years of info from everyone, seeing as the 1000 has been around for so long, I'm prepared to not let myself be disappointed early on.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #3,310 of 4,748
Got mine today, ohhh ya, that treble detail, no sibilance here, but admittedly I am sort of a clean treble detail freak, as long as the rest of the spectrum has balance to it. Exactly the reason I love my he4. Not going to really comment on these besides that's until I get a good chunk of listening on on different sources. Hey just so I don't feel like I got ripped off, what is a good price for these nowadays? Used of course, but these are in like new condition.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #3,311 of 4,748
Got mine today, ohhh ya, that treble detail, no sibilance here, but admittedly I am sort of a clean treble detail freak, as long as the rest of the spectrum has balance to it. Exactly the reason I love my he4. Not going to really comment on these besides that's until I get a good chunk of listening on on different sources. Hey just so I don't feel like I got ripped off, what is a good price for these nowadays? Used of course, but these are in like new condition.

Used in mint condition? 250$ is a fair price for these. I had luck to get them for 200$ over a year ago now and it was the best buy in my audio life. They love Sony Walkmans, Im waiting for my WM1A now.

Despite overall balance of EX100, these have the best subbass and an outstanding depth.

I also had a chance to compare EX1000 and EX800ST and the only difference I noticed is a little more smoothness of upper midrange on 800ST. My prefered tips are new triple comfort tips.

Best synergy I found so far is ZX100 so I have high hopes on WM1A :)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,312 of 4,748
Which spin fits work

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #3,313 of 4,748
I'm am absolutely in love with bass on these. It is, perfect(to me). The quality is just stunning. I was listening with my x3i on shuffle yesterday, and rhcp- dark necessities came on, I have never heard the bass line on that song sound so natural and detailed. It literally brought a large smile to my face. I'm obsessed with these things right now, and I really hope it's not just a honeymoon stage that tends to occur with new gears. Either way, amazing in ears, very happy my wallet found it's way to these.20170801_124334.jpg

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #3,315 of 4,748
Thanks. Enjoying my SONY's so thanks for the tip.

Also, you should check out the site below, they have balanced cables and the correct tips to fit the EX1000's. Here's a pick of the tips they use.

Beat Audio -www.beataudiolab.com

getPart

Which model of cable from Beat Audio would be a good choice to go with for the EX1000?

Will send Peterek a note as well to see other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back