Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Sep 25, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #2,236 of 4,748
Sep 25, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #2,238 of 4,748
Oh, sorry i was refering to the EX 1000. I live in the UK. You have exactly the same music tastes as me
regular_smile%20.gif
.  Actually i had just brought the Ortofon e-q7 which is very good for YUI, Aoyama Thelma and Emi Fujita songs but it wasn't quite as good for Zard or Ikimonogakari songs because they still sound too high pitched and harsh on the high notes so it is kind of painful to the ears. On reality they do sound like that on the high notes a bit but not that much so i want to buy another IEM that will be suited for those artists which is some of my favourites. Which one do you think is best for Zard the EX800ST's or the CK100. Thank you my friend.

Hello Love Music. Oh right silly me, yeah of course you are talking about the MDR-EX1000s in your original post, as this is originally the EX1000 thread review, I'm sorry for being so hopelessly inconsiderate here with my earlier comments. I have just dropped you a PM with regards to how females vocals performs on both my pair of CK100 and EX800ST, as well as how ZARD sounds like on the CK100, as I don't think it's very appropriate for me to go further off-topic on this thread topic created by james444, as this is a mainly a EX1000 discussion thread and I'm quite sure based on the earlier comments by music_4321 as well as some others who got "chided" by him previously, I think I should be slightly more considerate here and spare a thought for the threadstarter or any of the EX1000 owners. :)

Just to clarify, anytime you change the diaphragm material it is absolutely a new driver.  I don't know where the idea comes from that you can change materials or construction of a driver and it's the same thing as before.  Yes, they changed the materials under the housing.  With a new driver.  

FWIR, the polymer construction of the new driver diaphragm is nothing like the older bio cellulose driver which at one time had to be organically grown in a petri dish based on old Sony literature I recall from years ago.  Btw, that bio-celluslose composition also came in at least three different compositions.  You can PM leeperry I'm sure he still has the data sheets.

Thank you for the clarification and corrections there Anaxilus. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my previous post, but I don't exactly meant that the driver units in the EX1000 model are exactly the same as EX800ST/MDR-7550 as well as the EX600s. I do know about the actual differences in the diaphragm materials between all 3 models, although in the case of EX800ST/EX600 according to Sony Japan's/Sony-Asia's PDF brochures advertised information I had read awhile back since these products were already announced quite sometime ago since last year November, from what I remembered the EX800ST probably shares more similarities with the EX600 in terms of internal materials used, as both of its drivers units are based on ML, or simply known as Multiple-layer diaphragm.

Also, I'm not sure why you are asking me to PM leeperry here, although I may not have that many posts here on Head-fi because I'm more of a reader and lurker myself here, most of the time I don't speak up unless I'm pretty sure of what I'm talking about. The diaphragm materials or any form of coating used on the diaphragm designed by majority of speaker/headphone brand manufacturers are mainly used for reducing sound resonances and mechanical energy, such is the case for Sony's latest Liquid-Crystal Polymer film used in their MDR-Z1000 and the EX1000 models respectively. Since my Dad is a HT-enthusiast himself, I have also seen personally for myself how many various methods and materials are involved for damping a typical dynamic loudspeaker's diaphragm cone for improved sound reproduction, ranging from Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fibre-glass or Glass Wool materials etc. Sony's method of damping for the MDR-Z1000/EX1000s, is actually just building the diaphragm itself with their own developed materials in the form of LCP film for providing the purpose of internal damping/reducing resonance, it's really that simple. :wink:

Regarding the debate of the older bio-cellulose diaphragm vs LCP film diaphragm here, no doubt you might be correct here but I believe I didn't mention that the LCP film is anything like Sony's very own bio-cellulose diaphragms used in some of their older headphones/earphone products. I just said it was a newer and more developed version compared to their older bio-cellulose organic bio-technology, which seems to be joint venture co-developed with Ajinomoto Co back then, but of course since I never had the personal luxury to own those older Sony headphones products before, I will probably never understand how much hype is there to these bio-cellulose made Sony products. Also if I never recall wrongly from the time I had spent on Head-fi last time, japanese manufacturer Fostex has also made and produced some speakers and headphones based on bio-cellulose technology as well so it isn't anything new at all.

My 2 cents.

All 3 drivers are 16mm and all use a CCAW coil (which is used in about 90% of dynamic IEMs). The difference is in the diaphragm of the driver, the EX600 and EX800ST/7550s use regular polymer film in their diaphragms. With the EX1000 it may very well may have been same driver but it has had it's polymer dissolved in a polymer solvent which transform it into a LCP. So, the end result creates a different driver material, LCP is probably lighter and yet stronger which will translate into faster transients and other good stuff. Still, the only difference is in the diaphragm when it comes to the EX1000, the rest of the driver is most likely the same as it probably started out the same. Sony does prefer the use of polymer film over bio-cellulose nowadays. 

Hello Ink, alright first of all lemme apologise for creating a minor confusion there. Actually I was just referring to the 16mm Neodymium magnet transducers units used on all 3 EX models themselves as according to Sony's data they are all the same actually. I still stand by what I had said in my previous post though, IMO there's no rocket science involved honestly in regards to the EX1000s be it LCP film or bio-cellulose technology, probably the main reason for the differences in the sound some of us had perceived btw all 3 EX models might also be attributed due to the factors of manual sound-tuning because according to one of AV Watch Impress japanese articles although I'm sorry for quoting a japanese article here since not everyone are japanese literate, in that article it's mentioned according to them, both the EX1000 and EX600 as well as the non-removable cable version of EX510 in terms of its sound reproduction are manually hand-tuned by its sound engineers. Although the MDR-EX800ST/MDR-7550 were not mentioned by them, I'm quite sure the EX800STs were also manually hand-tuned by its sound engineers according to one of the japanese articles I had came across before on Phile-web, though I'm too lazy to look it up right now to give you guys for reference purpose.

Cheers.

You quoted me but I didn't write any of that just FYI

Haha, my deepest apologies for dragging you into all these Kiteki! I wish I had some kind of bio-technology expertise under my arms to help create that real-life like composite model of Nozomi Sasaki just for you! Because it seems that from your various avatars you had used in this forum, I can probably guess you are a really huge fan of her! As I usually watch alot of japanese shows myself I really liked the Lotte Fit's japanese CMs she's has appeared in from time to time on japanese TV. :D :D

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #2,239 of 4,748

Quote:
...I don't think it's very appropriate for me to go further off-topic on this thread topic created by james444, as this is a mainly a EX1000 discussion thread and I'm quite sure based on the earlier comments by music_4321 as well as some others who got "chided" by him previously, I think I should be slightly more considerate here and spare a thought for the threadstarter or any of the EX1000 owners.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure james444, like me, values your posts. You hardly ever post here, and when you do, I find your posts quite valuable and always a good read - wish there were more HF'ers like you. I do think, however, that this thread got badly derailed and spoiled over 2 months ago and never quite got back to the fine thread it once was. I think that anyone wanting to find out about the EX1000 can find the most valuable information in the first 70 pages or so.

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #2,240 of 4,748

Quote:
No worries, though I think there is a disconnect between what you think you said and what you actually said.  Just to clarify, you said the 600/7550/1000 use the same driver.  We know this isn't accurate but I think you are trying to make a more nuanced point but the result is the same, they are different.  I am inclined to believe from the literature the 600 and 7550 share more mechanical similarities than the 1000 but the refinement in tuning certainly is closer to the 1000 to my ears.  Nobody here knows for sure as we are all making best guesses.  It would not surprise me if all three drivers had actual differences as Sony has done that before in their bio-cellulose lineup.  I asked you to PM leepery if you wanted to learn more about them, I'm not sure what your dad has to do with that.  Which brings me to the point about their bio cellulose drivers.  The current drivers are not related to the bio-cellulose drivers or evolved from them as you said 'thinner versions of the older bio cellulose'.  One is organic, the other is a plastic polymer. You don't derive a Ferrari from a Porsche.  Hopefully that makes more sense.  

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2,241 of 4,748
Just wrote something on one of james444's other posts about the FAD FI-BA-SS. All I'll say here (not to get too much off topic) is WHOA!! Stunning!!

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #2,242 of 4,748
I decided not to order new cable and let to reterminate the 3.5 mm jack. In this way you can buy quality jack and I paid only 17 euros for the new Neutrik jack and for the work. The new cable would have cost me around 40 euros + shipping and I still would have had the cable with flimsy jack, which clearly is EX1000's weak point.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2,243 of 4,748
So I picked one up new for a bit more than $300 shipped. I really need to sell off my extraneous audio crap. I've only had the EX600 for a week!

How long do these need to be burned-in for would you guys say?

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #2,246 of 4,748
I got them from CE Showroom. Was a bit dubious at first, but everything turned out fine. I placed my order Friday after work, they called me like 30 minutes later telling me that the last UPS shipment had already gone out, and they wouldn't be able to ship them until Monday. Asked me if I still wanted them. I didn't complain or anything, just expressed a bit of disappointment. Then come Monday I find out they've upgraded me to some faster FedEx shipping for free. So yeah, no complaints and they're in my ears now.

They're already sounding pretty special, with less upper-mid harshness than my 600s have with like 80 hours on them. Soundstaging is bigger than on the 600s by a decent margin, which is not to slight the 600. It has pretty pretty prettyyyy good soundstage. Clarity and timbre are just superb. Already.

(me upon first hearing these)

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2,248 of 4,748

Lol funny as hell. Glad you're liking them, too bad the EX1000s just didn't work out for me. On a plus note; I'm finding my new FX700s to go really well with the Sony Hybrid tips everything is more focused and controlled. Bass goes deeper and is nice and tight with these tips. Very much enjoying the FX700s.
Quote:
I got them from CE Showroom. Was a bit dubious at first, but everything turned out fine. I placed my order Friday after work, they called me like 30 minutes later telling me that the last UPS shipment had already gone out, and they wouldn't be able to ship them until Monday. Asked me if I still wanted them. I didn't complain or anything, just expressed a bit of disappointment. Then come Monday I find out they've upgraded me to some faster FedEx shipping for free. So yeah, no complaints and they're in my ears now.

They're already sounding pretty special, with less upper-mid harshness than my 600s have with like 80 hours on them. Soundstaging is bigger than on the 600s by a decent margin, which is not to slight the 600. It has pretty pretty prettyyyy good soundstage. Clarity and timbre are just superb. Already.

(me upon first hearing these)

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #2,249 of 4,748
So these Jays large silicon tips (transparent) give a great seal and open up the treble more on the 7550...Nice as it give me just the right amount of extra treble without being too excessive. But now I've found on large pair of blueish transparent silicon tips (single flange). I can't for the life of me figure out where this tips set came from, but it to be from some IEM I've owned. The silicon is pretty firm, and it's a blue color, but transparent. Any ideas out there? 

Anyway, these open the treble even more on the 7550 (as the highs tend to be a little recessed compared to the EX1000 and EX600, but that's how I prefer it instead of having the piercing highs of the EX-series). Bass seems a bit deeper with these tips and the mids are still excellent as usual. These tips put the horn instruments to a more realistic sound on par with the W4. And these tips along with the Jays give me the best seal and isolation with the 7550 (even better than with the Sony hybrid tips). There is not pushing out or sliding around slightly in my ear canals. Funny, but I preferred this bluish silicon tip on my DDM too. Any idea who makes them based on the description?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back