Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Sep 23, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #2,221 of 4,748
I just had to move one (in search for my midforward preference) but I have to admit its strength (at least for me) which is the bass! And I have to cover my expense :p

Awhile back someone in my local forum was actually comparing his pair of ES5 vs the EX1000s, and he was telling me that his EX1000 was considered bass light to his ears. :eek: Of course I'm puzzled myself since to this pair of ears (definitely not dog ears though ;P ) the EX1000/EX800STs never sounded bass light to me, then again it could be because all along I was never a huge basshead myself. (I have never heard of the hugely-raved latest XB1000 series by Sony though, even though I had the chance because I'm not on the search for bassy headphones. But among my current collection of IEMs, needless to say the EX800ST's bass impresses me the most. :) (still have my old and trusty CK9 around with me as well as a pair of Panasonic HJE70, even though I don't really use them anymore)

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #2,223 of 4,748

Quote:
@Love Music: Where do you reside my friend? The EX800STs are hardly 200 bucks more than Ortofons in Japan actually, according to Kakaku.com they are only at most 2000-3000yen more than the e-Q5s. I always rely on Kakaku website in order to check up on the latest retail prices for IEMs sold in japanese market. Depending on where you are, I still believe it may be cheaper for you to just buy the MDR-7550s straight from Amazon or B&H instead.

I got my EX800STs off Rakuten awhile back via my japanese friend's help, as I prefer to collect the japanese model instead. By the way I think I saw one of your previous enquiry in one of the CK100's related threads, where you were asking for recommendations of IEMs suitable for japanese female vocals? As I do own the CK100 as well as you can see from my signature, I can definitely tell you I personally enjoy the mids/female vocal songs on my CK100 much more instead.

Shiina Ringo, hiro, miwa, YUI, JUJU, Aoyama Thelma, aiko, ayaka, Minmi, mihimaru GT, Utada Hikaru, Emi Fujita, ZARD, KOKIA, Maaya Sakamoto are pretty much some of the female j-artistes I personally enjoy listening to, just thought it might be of some reference to you. Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, sorry i was refering to the EX 1000. I live in the UK. You have exactly the same music tastes as me
regular_smile .gif
.  Actually i had just brought the Ortofon e-q7 which is very good for YUI, Aoyama Thelma and Emi Fujita songs but it wasn't quite as good for Zard or Ikimonogakari songs because they still sound too high pitched and harsh on the high notes so it is kind of painful to the ears. On reality they do sound like that on the high notes a bit but not that much so i want to buy another IEM that will be suited for those artists which is some of my favourites. Which one do you think is best for Zard the EX800ST's or the CK100. Thank you my friend.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #2,224 of 4,748

Thank you Heretlc and dogears. Yes, I like the 7550 more than I even anticipated (although I did think I would like them). Someone mentioned the price. It would be a great bang-for-the buck at $200, but I wouldn't feel if I had been robbed if I spent $250. I actually spent $200 out of my own pocket, but that was because I had a gift certificate as a birthday girt. I think $250 is a decent price for these, and about $300 or a little under for the EX1000. Just my opinion though.
Quote:
Great read, ericp10! I had always thought I might prefer the EX800 / MDR7550 over the EX600/1000 and this impression of yours seems to reaffirm that. Alas, I won't really know till I've actually gotten a chance to listen to all 3.

Thanks for write up, eric!

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #2,225 of 4,748
Thanks for the impressions of the mdr 7750 ,very interesting read and thanks for being my Guinea pig with that one, if i do get a sony iem i think the 7750 will be more to my liking than the ex1000 which i was considering but now have ruled out based on your findings.
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2,226 of 4,748
You're welcome (president of my fanclub
deadhorse.gif
) .....lol
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the impressions of the mdr 7750 ,very interesting read and thanks for being my Guinea pig with that one, if i do get a sony iem i think the 7750 will be more to my liking than the ex1000 which i was considering but now have ruled out based on your findings.
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2,227 of 4,748
Just to clarify, anytime you change the diaphragm material it is absolutely a new driver.  I don't know where the idea comes from that you can change materials or construction of a driver and it's the same thing as before.  Yes, they changed the materials under the housing.  With a new driver.  

FWIR, the polymer construction of the new driver diaphragm is nothing like the older bio cellulose driver which at one time had to be organically grown in a petri dish based on old Sony literature I recall from years ago.  Btw, that bio-celluslose composition also came in at least three different compositions.  You can PM leeperry I'm sure he still has the data sheets.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #2,228 of 4,748

The EX700/600/800, on the spec sheets are just stated as "multi polymer" which is a bit vague, according to an explosion graph I've seen of the EX700 the diaphragm was ethyl or methyl something... the EX1000 is Liquid Crystal Polymer, like the Z1000. 

Info on bio-cel:

"Sony apparently tried every conventional material used for forming diaphragms,
found nothing which would yield the 'broad, deep sound of a room
speaker system' and eventually stating that (and I quote):

'...After a frustrating stalemate, we discovered "bio-cellulose."
We found that when fed saccharides, a 2-micron-long bacterium,
called Acetobacter aceti, produces very fine cellulose fibres
200-400 angstroms in diameter which are called bio-cellulose.
With leading-edge biotechnology techniques, the bio-cellulose
culture becomes 2mm thick in about two days. It is then
dehydrated and compressed to a thickness of 20 microns in a
diaphragm die.'

Yeah, I know: if this were the April issue...but it isn't.
Apparently, this material, straight out of the cyberpunk epic
Neuromancer, provides the velocity of aluminium or titanium with
the 'warm, delicate sound' of paper. Whatever the stuff is, it's
the subject of a joint patent between Sony, the Ajinomoto Company
and the Research Institute for Polymers and Textiles of the
Agency for Industrial Science and Technology."

source: http://hometheaterreview.com/sony-mdr-r10-headphones-reviewed/

AFAIK... bio-cellulose diaphragms are featured in the Sony R10, CD3000, CD1700, E888, Denon D1001, Creative Aurvana Live, Fostex Keyaki, Everglide S500, Panasonic RP-HC700S and Vsonic GR07.

I'm not sure about the last three, the Vsonic is a winning proudct if it uses bio-cel and 99% pure silver cables, it's amazing the gr07 is priced where it is really, I think the silver cable alone is worth $150, I really love their company values too <3, they are so exceptional <3, did you know they import their machinery from Japan? I think they deserve some free recognition and publicity from their own site http://www.vsonic.com/company/company-profile.htm

Let's not overlook Dunu though, another serious Sony competitor as far as their technology is concerned, let's give their company profile some serious time in the limelight too http://www.dunu-topsound.com/about.html
See "equipments" here http://www.dunu-topsound.com/overview.html

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #2,229 of 4,748

Quote:

I'm not sure about the last three, the Vsonic is a winning proudct if it uses bio-cel and 99% pure silver cables, it's amazing the gr07 is priced where it is really, I think the silver cable alone is worth $150, I really love their company values too, they are so exceptional, they even import all their machinery from Japan, I'm going to send them a fanmail <3 http://www.vsonic.com/company/company-profile.htm

I really wish the GR07 sounded like the 7550 or EX1000.  I really want to own a pair but the sound isn't for me.  I love everything else about them.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #2,231 of 4,748

Quote:Haonan
Not too sure where you guys got the initial idea that the MDR-7550s uses an entirely different driver compared to EX1000, but all 3 EX models actually utilises the same 16mm dome-type CCAW dynamic driver actually. EX1000 just has the liquid crystal polymer film diaphragm material wrapped beneath under its housing, which is a newer developed, thinner version of the older bio-cellulose organic diaphragm Sony has always been using in some of their older earphone/headphone products such as the MDR-E888LP Fontopias, MDR-CD3000 and the very classic MDR-R10.
This organic fiber membrane material supposingly suppresses sound resonance/reduces distortion so Sony has been using this as some form of internal damping for its audio products, and because I have read online before that this material also weighs less than the usual aluminium material but has half the stiffness of aluminium and also comes with absolute elasticity, it is a very good damping material specifically for use in IEMs/headphones/speakers. As far as I know, Sony also uses their latest LCP film diaphragm in the MDR-Z1000 headphones as well.

All 3 drivers are 16mm and all use a CCAW coil (which is used in about 90% of dynamic IEMs). The difference is in the diaphragm of the driver, the EX600 and EX800ST/7550s use regular polymer film in their diaphragms. With the EX1000 it may very well may have been same driver but it has had it's polymer dissolved in a polymer solvent which transform it into a LCP. So, the end result creates a different driver material, LCP is probably lighter and yet stronger which will translate into faster transients and other good stuff. Still, the only difference is in the diaphragm when it comes to the EX1000, the rest of the driver is most likely the same as it probably started out the same. Sony does prefer the use of polymer film over bio-cellulose nowadays. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #2,232 of 4,748
Sep 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #2,234 of 4,748
Fixed...lol

I'm confused, neither link mentions the 7550. Just makes it clear the EX700 uses polyethene and the 7520 uses LCP in their diaphragms. The 7550 is clearly a multiple-layer polymer diaphragm like the EX600, but the tuning seems to be more refined. Which by the way isn't vague, it's a diaphragm made of polymer in multiple thin layers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back