Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #35,881 of 41,068
You are cordially invited to attend the annual voting gala for all headphones you have ever known.

The 2022 Head-Fi Members' Poll for headphones begins at 0.00 GMT on the 7th of January 2023.
Venue: Thread 'The Head-Fi Members' Poll for IEMs - 2022' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-head-fi-members-poll-for-headphones-2022.966400/

Come dressed for fun, and bring your own popcorn.

Screenshot_20230104-225210_Gallery.jpg

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #35,885 of 41,068
A mix of old and older

Little dot MKV and Topping D10s connected to JVC HARX900

Need more bass...just don't know where to start

20230105_161917_HDR_(1).jpg
Well, if you need more bass the problem almost certainly isn't your amp. Probably not the DAC, either. My vote would be the headphone.

Hadn't heard of this particular headphone until you mentioned it, but just read a couple reviews, and both mention that it's shy on bass.

What to do? Well, the classic budget work-around for headphone bass is to get an inexpensive closed-back headphone that can actually serve up bass. For that, my vote is one of the ISK MDH9000 clones--4 or 5 headphones that are identical to that ChiFi classic, but are rebranded or have slight color/design variations from it.

My favorite of these is the Marantz MPH-2: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Marant...es-1500000006703.gc?cntry=us&source=4SOS0DRBA

<$100 headphones always have their issues, but I've always found these (I own or owned 3) to have a very pleasant, balanced sound, slightly warm, with a pleasingly rich bass.

Here's another of the clones that I owned (gave this one to a friend). It's indentical in sound and design to the Marantz, only differing slightly in accent colors. It's also cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-HAS-30-Professional-Headphones-Entertainment/dp/B018Y5CVO0

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #35,886 of 41,068
Well, if you need more bass the problem almost certainly isn't your amp. Probably not the DAC, either. My vote would be the headphone.

Hadn't heard of this particular headphone until you mentioned it, but just read a couple reviews, and both mention that it's shy on bass.

What to do? Well, the classic budget work-around for headphone bass is to get an inexpensive closed-back headphone that can actually serve up bass. For that, my vote is one of the ISK MDH9000 clones--4 or 5 headphones that are identical to that ChiFi classic, but are rebranded or have slight color/design variations from it.

My favorite of these is the Marantz MPH-2: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Marant...es-1500000006703.gc?cntry=us&source=4SOS0DRBA

<$100 headphones always have their issues, but I've always found these (I own or owned 3) to have a very pleasant, balanced sound, slightly warm, with a pleasingly rich bass.

Here's another of the clones that I owned (gave this one to a friend). It's indentical in sound and design to the Marantz, only differing slightly in accent colors. It's also cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-HAS-30-Professional-Headphones-Entertainment/dp/B018Y5CVO0
Thank you for the recommendations.

What would you consider the next step up? I have around $300 to play with. Primarily listen to Rap, R&B, and House.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #35,887 of 41,068

What would you consider the next step up? I have around $300 to play with. Primarily listen to Rap, R&B, and House.
If you are ok with a V signature and can grab a Drop TR-X00, they're easy to drive, are very fast in the price range, and slam. Very fun cans.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #35,888 of 41,068

@gimmeheadroom beat me to it by recommending the Drop TR-X00. Early on I bought one of those from Drop (think it was mahogany), and that was my first introduction to strong bass that stayed level/flat all the way down into the sub-bass. These were sold at various times in mahogany, ebony, purpleheart, and maybe other woods I'm forgetting.

BUT...(there's always a but)...if you're at all sensitive to upper midrange & treble sonic nasties (I am), you might notice that the upper mids and treble of the TR-X00 sound somewhat elevated and grainy-sounding.

IMO, a more enjoyable sound signature from a nearly identical headphone is found in the E-Mu Teak. This has the same frame and driver as the TR-X00, but the wood (teak) is lighter and permits a bit more resonance, which is welcome in such a matter-of-fact sounding design. Best of all, the teak earcups are slightly deeper than the TR-X00's as a result having more interior volume. That really does change the sound. I loved the sound of the E-Mu Teak. It trades a very minor amount of sub-bass for a slightly fuller mid-bass and better, more pleasing upper mids & treble (all welcome to my ears).

The genres you listen to really put an emphasis on bass quantity & quality; both are quite good with any of these headphones based on the Fostex frame w/biodynamic driver.

I just searched via HiFiShark.com and don't see any E-Mu Teaks F.S., but that could change. BTW, these typically go for somewhat more than your budget of $300) but if you can swing another $50-$75, they're probably worth it.

Jan 6, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #35,890 of 41,068
Ampapa A1, featuring the Two-DAC-Stack :registered::tm::copyright: !!!

Using the DAC Box E for MP3 320's, and other harsher or relatively less well-produced FLAC, since due to its low output whatever it's hooked up to has to supply the gain/volume... and in this case there are tubes to do just a little smoooooothing :) ...this is actually the first time my MP3's have had the honour of a desktop rig outing.

324461582_525758746286264_8742645426437378798_n.jpg

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #35,891 of 41,068
@Roasty care to share a quick comparison between your Wavelight and Wavedream Signature? Did you ever listen to the regular Edition?

Thanks!

sure man. I think the Wavelight is a fantastic dac for the money. it has, what I feel, is the classic NOS sound. I can listen with the wavelight for hours and still not get enough of it. I recently revisited i2s vs aes/ebu into the WL and I definitely prefer the aes connection; organic and natural sounding, great space and depth, and better bass all round and more extension down low.

the Wavedream seems more immediate and more dynamic. slightly more upfront in presentation, with a more V shaped sound than the WL. there is more sense of space, and it seems easier to pick out details with the WD too. I'd give both micro and macro dynamics to the WD. in contrast to the WL, I actually prefer the linear filter on the WD over NOS. hybrid filter is occasionally enjoyable; there is some added bass boost but also comes with some smear, less bass definition and less clarity. NOS mode seems a bit flat sounding for some reason..

given the chance to do it over, I'd still take both/either the WL and WD over the May KTE. sorry, never had a chance to try the regular WD edition.

*bonus
I got the Meitner Audio MA3 as a blind buy and went for it because it was offered at an unbelievable price. I also wanted to mix things up and get an upsampling dac to complement my r2r lineup. man, what a lovely unit this is. looks great, functional, no nonsense, convenient (streamer and roon ready). sounds so clean and accurate but far from boring (I had the Benchmark DAC3B and know what that sounds like). the clarity, airiness, sense of space is really impressive; I suppose that may be due to the internal dsd upsampling. definitely leans more towards neutral than both the WL and WD.

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #35,892 of 41,068
52606679305_4e977a70e9_k.jpg

so the Raal in the lounge was a bit short-lived.

WA33 and PhoenixUSB returns.. this is probably the most all rounder combo I have right now. pretty much everything I play sounds great on this setup. with the Rockna Wavelight, Elrog 5u4g/we417a/kr2a3 and the Utopia 22 + Cardas Clear hp cable. I know Cardas isn't the first that comes to mind for hp cables, but this one really is a great pairing with the Utopia 22.
Nice! What specific we417a tubes are you using?

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #35,894 of 41,068
Nice! What specific we417a tubes are you using?

I got these western electric 417a tubes and Woo adaptors from a member here off the classifieds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back