Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #41,057 of 41,152
@jonathan c.... Look familiar???

Teac-VRDS-701-System.jpg

I got the Teac VRDS 701 in yesterday. Got such a good deal on it was hard to pass up. Was shooting for the T (Transport), but vendor ended up offering me the 701 for the price of the 701T. This is a brand-new unopened unit gotten from an authorized dealer :relaxed:

It was never my intention to get this one, but the deal was too good to pass up. Glad I got it, and it turns out, it's just what I needed, especially now that I can run my active speakers off it. And the Delta Sigma DAC also sounds wonderful, so I don't mind listening to its built-in headphone amp with my Sennheiser HD700 Phones. Also, when I game, and don't need both the Pontus and Artemis powered up.

And yes, the most important thing... as a CD player its masterful. CD's sound just a tick better with slightly more detail. I suspect this is due to the VRDS mechanism. I have the 701 connected directly to the Pontus via coaxial cable (as I did the Rotel), and the Pontus going to the Artemis via XLR cables.
nice set up. have you tried the Teac on it's own, not going thru the dac, curios how good the built in dac is

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #41,058 of 41,152

Teac-VRDS-701-System.jpg

I got the Teac VRDS 701 in yesterday. Got such a good deal on it was hard to pass up. Was shooting for the T (Transport), but vendor ended up offering me the 701 for the price of the 701T. This is a brand-new unopened unit gotten from an authorized dealer :relaxed:

It was never my intention to get this one, but the deal was too good to pass up. Glad I got it, and it turns out, it's just what I needed, especially now that I can run my active speakers off it. And the Delta Sigma DAC also sounds wonderful, so I don't mind listening to its built-in headphone amp with my Sennheiser HD700 Phones. Also, when I game, and don't need both the Pontus and Artemis powered up.

And yes, the most important thing... as a CD player its masterful. CD's sound just a tick better with slightly more detail. I suspect this is due to the VRDS mechanism. I have the 701 connected directly to the Pontus via coaxial cable (as I did the Rotel), and the Pontus going to the Artemis via XLR cables.

nice! so clean..!
what rack is that? I really like it.

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #41,059 of 41,152
Thanks to all :relaxed:

Nice to see CD transports becoming more popular in todays streaming world.
Yeah. I a CD collector so it stands to reason that I'd need a good CD player :thumbsup:

nice set up. have you tried the Teac on it's own, not going thru the dac, curios how good the built in dac is
Yeah, via unit's headphone amp, and pre-amp to run my active speakers. Sound is excellent, though the Teac's headphone amp won't be replacing my Artemis headphone amp. Anyway, I thought that info was in the post.

nice! so clean..!
what rack is that? I really like it.
I got it from Amazon for $149 bucks. It's a 4-shelf modular rack, meaning you choose the shelf setup. Though I'm using 3 shelves, I really only needed two. The shelf on the bottom is simply a place holder to give more space to sit the rack on. You can see what I mean here. This is an older image with the then Rotel CD player.

Denafrips-Hi-Fi-Gear.jpg

Monolith 4 Tier Audio Stand XL

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #41,062 of 41,152

Teac-VRDS-701-System.jpg

Great setup! As for the 701, 👍. The delta-sigma DAC in 701 is a TEAC design. ☑️

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #41,064 of 41,152
Musical delight…Bokeh with Walkman
E1861F1B-45F8-480C-B0F8-B667279909DF.jpeg

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #41,065 of 41,152
Added my 90's Sony CD player to the Head-Fi setup today. One of my favorite prices of gear 👌
1000005733.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #41,066 of 41,152
1000031007.jpg

1000031008.jpg

1000031031.jpg

The 3 heavyweights (quite literally for the headphone on the left :L3000:)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #41,067 of 41,152
@BlakeT
Really nice.
Did you purchase them with the wooden sleeves--or make the sleeves yourself?
My friend in Hungary has a small side business, creating bespoke adapters for lots of different tube types. He does this for fun with his partner, as he has a very good day job, he is just a serious audio head and his partner is a retired, incredible tube expert, with an encyclopedic knowledge of tubes (I think his family owned a tube manufacturing business back in the day or something like that).

They are my most trusted source for tubes and adapters. If you are committed to a particular tube, then his adapters provide a very nice sonic uptick as compared to the cheap ebay ones. 7N ribbon silver wires, Shinkoh resistors, first rate parts and cool wood enclosures, with plugs for optional grounding wires, which they also sell. They open up a whole new world of tube options. Again, neither of them are really doing this for the money, they just enjoy it. They take requests if you need a certain adapter type.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #41,068 of 41,152
My friend in Hungary has a small side business, creating bespoke adapters for lots of different tube types. He does this for fun with his partner, as he has a very good day job, he is just a serious audio head and his partner is a retired, incredible tube expert, with an encyclopedic knowledge of tubes (I think his family owned a tube manufacturing business back in the day or something like that).

They are my most trusted source for tubes and adapters. If you are committed to a particular tube, then his adapters provide a very nice sonic uptick as compared to the cheap ebay ones. 7N ribbon silver wires, Shinkoh resistors, first rate parts and cool wood enclosures, with plugs for optional grounding wires, which they also sell. They open up a whole new world of tube options. Again, neither of them are really doing this for the money, they just enjoy it. They take requests if you need a certain adapter type.
Very interesting--and I find it great that your friends do it because they enjoy it.
If I ever decide on staying with specific tubes in the future, I will reach out.

Thank you,
Joseph

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #41,069 of 41,152
1000005212.jpg

1000005291.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back