Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 17, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #36,016 of 41,463
16739777745576682411904951531928.jpg

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #36,017 of 41,463
Wow, what a beautiful setup! I immediately recognized the brand of CD player-TASCAM. What is the other TASCAM component? I have a TASCAM DA-30 DAT deck but unfortunately the drawer/transport doesn't work anymore--those DAT mechanisms are inherently prone to wearing out before their time. Anyway, gorgeous system!

Jan 17, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #36,018 of 41,463
Wow, what a beautiful setup! I immediately recognized the brand of CD player-TASCAM. What is the other TASCAM component? I have a TASCAM DA-30 DAT deck but unfortunately the drawer/transport doesn't work anymore--those DAT mechanisms are inherently prone to wearing out before their time. Anyway, gorgeous system!

Thank you very much. I'm really not happy with the layout, the speaker position especially is textbook "how not to set up a 2 channel system." Although the apartment is roomy, there are closets, heaters, windows, and doors on every wall. Cable management is something I have to face at some point but I have no idea how. And the pile got worse tonight as I set up the clock I got today.

The TASCAM CD deck is a CD recorder that went out of production recently. It has a lot of nice features and good connectivity including AES/EBU. You can plug in a USB keyboard and do titling on CDs.

The other TASCAM box is a DA-3000 PCM/DSD mastering recorder which I guess is also out of production fairly recently. It's a really wonderful unit with some annoyances. It has very good connectivity and records to an SD card and a CF card. I can loop most of my system into it over AES/EBU. I use the Mutec 1.1+ to loop in and out of the MC-3+ USB so I can run AES/EBU into both the CD recorder and the PCM/DSD recorder.

I have two TASCAM combo CD/minidisc decks (not shown), one still in the box. Unfortunately the one I had in the shelf started dropping out and I guess it is because of the high level of airborne dust here, I live a few hundred yards from a forest. I need to figure out how to get it going again but it will be a while.

I never had a DAT deck but they are the cat's meow. There are guys who specialize in reviving them and media is still somewhat available (at a price, of course). I hope you can get yours in the hands of somebody who loves them and can fix it for you so you can get it back into service!

P.S. If you noticed, I taped the rack ears on the DA-3000 because the veneer on the shelves is so thin. I didn't want to bash the wood or the posts. Not very stylish, but... :p

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #36,020 of 41,463
Interesting!!!!

Will DI20HE pair better with REF10 than its own MC3?

I didn't want to know, I run the REF10 into both of them :D

The DI-20HE goes to the MC-3+ USB over AES/EBU, but I can also run the MC-3+ USB over USB from a PC. Most of the time, I run the DDCs in cascade, and primary source is a B100S bluesound box.

Jan 17, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #36,021 of 41,463

The DI-20HE goes to the MC-3+ USB over AES/EBU, but I can also run the MC-3+ USB over USB from a PC. Most of the time, I run the DDCs in cascade, and primary source is a B100S bluesound box.
Double DDCs? Interesting:) I tried different combo of DDCs only to find being too much and overdone.
I’m at a point of wanting different master clocks with different sources lol cause they sound too different, as DDCs.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #36,022 of 41,463
Thank you very much. I'm really not happy with the layout, the speaker position especially is textbook "how not to set up a 2 channel system." Although the apartment is roomy, there are closets, heaters, windows, and doors on every wall. Cable management is something I have to face at some point but I have no idea how. And the pile got worse tonight as I set up the clock I got today.

The TASCAM CD deck is a CD recorder that went out of production recently. It has a lot of nice features and good connectivity including AES/EBU. You can plug in a USB keyboard and do titling on CDs.

The other TASCAM box is a DA-3000 PCM/DSD mastering recorder which I guess is also out of production fairly recently. It's a really wonderful unit with some annoyances. It has very good connectivity and records to an SD card and a CF card. I can loop most of my system into it over AES/EBU. I use the Mutec 1.1+ to loop in and out of the MC-3+ USB so I can run AES/EBU into both the CD recorder and the PCM/DSD recorder.

I have two TASCAM combo CD/minidisc decks (not shown), one still in the box. Unfortunately the one I had in the shelf started dropping out and I guess it is because of the high level of airborne dust here, I live a few hundred yards from a forest. I need to figure out how to get it going again but it will be a while.

I never had a DAT deck but they are the cat's meow. There are guys who specialize in reviving them and media is still somewhat available (at a price, of course). I hope you can get yours in the hands of somebody who loves them and can fix it for you so you can get it back into service!
Thanks for the response, very, very interesting gear! Yeah, I miss having a DAT deck as sometimes you just want that feeling of putting in an old tape and sitting back. I previously had a SONY DTC-60ES (transport died twice--after a first repair it died again) and SONY TCD-D7 (dead transport). I bought the TASCAM DA-30 off ebay in 2014--it was a radio studio unit that they were clearing out as they upgraded. It worked long enough for me to digitize (save as higher bit rate MP3's to PC) many years worth of DAT tapes and then gave up the ghost. There's apparently a little kit that you can get to replace one of the belts but what with Hi-Res streaming, etc., these days, the strong motivation just isn't there. DAT tech is such beautiful engineering but with that one fatal flaw--the fast-wearing transports. But for sure something gained (the modern internet streaming era we're in) and something definitely lost!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #36,023 of 41,463

….when I read the above, I feel that I’m in a Van Allen radiation belt hurtling towards 🪐 .…🤪…. I’ll stick with a CD transport plus a resistor-to-resistor DAC…. 🤗

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #36,024 of 41,463

P.S. If you noticed, I taped the rack ears on the DA-3000 because the veneer on the shelves is so thin. I didn't want to bash the wood or the posts. Not very stylish, but... :p
Starting with paragraph-2, I tried & failed to understand how it all works. Paragraph-3 in particular baffles me.

FYI, it's 100% my problem: when it comes to systems like yours, I still haven't descended from the trees and learned how walk.

Re "textbook 'how not to set up a 2 channel system' " -- It's my bible. I've followed those instructions for years!

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #36,025 of 41,463
Double DDCs? Interesting:) I tried different combo of DDCs only to find being too much and overdone.
I’m at a point of wanting different master clocks with different sources lol cause they sound too different, as DDCs.
For me it was a matter of budget, the order I got the gear, and connectivity. The DI-20HE doesn't have great connectivity, it's mostly a hifi DDC. But it supports native DSD 512, DXD, 32 bit PCM etc. It does not reclock USB, only S/PDIF. It has IIS out which is how I use it when I don't have the Mutec in the circuit.

The MC-3+ USB is a pro device with much better connectivity, but does DSD->PCM (no support for native DSD) and only up to DSD 128, and PCM only to 24/192. It reclocks every input. It has a standards-conforming 75 ohm WCLK, while the DI-20/HE uses a non-standard 50 ohm selectable clock out.

I got the Mutec first and a year or so later I got a DI-20 which is now in my headstation and then another year or so later I got the DI-20HE. I didn't buy multiple DSDs to stack but rather for the non-overlapping feature sets.

The way I have things hooked up, and I can run with only the DI-20HE, only the MC-3+ USB, or DI-20HE -> MC-3+ USB in cascade. It's usually not because of how it sounds, I use various paths depending on whether I want to record, reclock, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #36,026 of 41,463
For me it was a matter of budget, the order I got the gear, and connectivity. The DI-20HE doesn't have great connectivity, it's mostly a hifi DDC. But it supports native DSD 512, DXD, 32 bit PCM etc. It does not reclock USB, only S/PDIF. It has IIS out which is how I use it when I don't have the Mutec in the circuit.

The MC-3+ USB is a pro device with much better connectivity, but does DSD->PCM (no support for native DSD) and only up to DSD 128, and PCM only to 24/192. It reclocks every input. It has a standards-conforming 75 ohm WCLK, while the DI-20/HE uses a non-standard 50 ohm selectable clock out.

I got the Mutec first and a year or so later I got a DI-20 which is now in my headstation and then another year or so later I got the DI-20HE. I didn't buy multiple DSDs to stack but rather for the non-overlapping feature sets.

The way I have things hooked up, and I can run with only the DI-20HE, only the MC-3+ USB, or DI-20HE -> MC-3+ USB in cascade. It's usually not because of how it sounds, I use various paths depending on whether I want to record, reclock, etc.
What clock cable do you use? I found Mutec perfect with Boomslang! Highly recommend! They offer free trails

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #36,027 of 41,463
What clock cable do you use? I found Mutec perfect with Boomslang! Highly recommend! They offer free trails

The 50 ohm cable I use is from ebay seller bydpete, the 75 ohm cable is Damar and Hagen.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #36,029 of 41,463
Hah we had snow last night too, this morning the ground was covered nicely. But not sure how long it will stick.

Love your place, looks wonderful! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back