Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 27, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #35,687 of 41,239
Why is he sitting alone in his living room with a mask :wink:

Dec 27, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #35,689 of 41,239
Dec 27, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #35,690 of 41,239
Why is he sitting alone in his living room with a mask :wink:
He's not alone. He's with someone (Asian, I believe), and they are discussing the Susvana and a new amplifier (I believed designed by the Asian gentleman).

Dec 27, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #35,691 of 41,239
if-its-tuesday-this-must-be-belgium-1969-1080p-largecover.jpg

Dec 27, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #35,692 of 41,239
1672170624594.png

From the bottom to top:
Marantz CD63mkII
Flux Lab FA-12
Sinus Audio OTL (6n13s but I have different than stock tubes)
+ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ohm and Quad Era-1
It sounds equally good on every setup of above three, literally beautiful, each different, each stunning. This 30yo Marantz has an awesome/well sounding headphone out!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #35,693 of 41,239

Is this you in these videos? If yes, I compliment you on comparing this audio system to art--the fact that we can discuss art's "technicalities," but there's always something more than just that. There are words that nearly (but not fully) describe this: aesthetics; beauty; creativity; inspirational.

The fact that no audio system can come close to equalling real music IRL, yet some audio systems or components please us so much...it all hints at that mystical "something more than technicalities."

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #35,694 of 41,239
Is this you in these videos? If yes, I compliment you on comparing this audio system to art--the fact that we can discuss art's "technicalities," but there's always something more than just that. There are words that nearly (but not fully) describe this: aesthetics; beauty; creativity; inspirational.

The fact that no audio system can come close to equalling real music IRL, yet some audio systems or components please us so much...it all hints at that mystical "something more than technicalities."
It is not me nor my self entitlement. The guy in this video is a friend with ears, gears and manners and knows what he was listening to, which seems to be very rare in this circle of headphones audio. But he still shocked me by how accurate he could elaborate and pinpoint the nuances in and among my systems. I think he is entitled to say anything he feels based on his listening.

Regarding the “fact” you mentioned about, it is nothing new or ground breaking. The accusation per se is rather meaningless and worthless. The crux is to find the key to approach the goal, even can’t 100% reach it admittedly. My friend Dr Larry Borden published papers insisting that the current Hifi sources are all flawed, which I can’t agree more after hearing that many so much so that I tend to ignore the external factors and only focus on the sonic features.
The fact that no audio system can come close to equalling real music
Therefore for my SUS system in this video, I might appear to be very not Hifi in the source link. I didn’t heavily resort to DACs, streamers or cables to tune the system even I did tried and abandoned tons of them. Instead I keep the source as netural and invisible void of colorization as much as possible. What I did is that I try to use the preamp to tune my susvara system with much better results that DACs, streamers and Cables could catch up with in terms of naturalism, dynamics, and void of colorization. That is how the friend in the video couldn’t hear any house sound throughout the source, which is the result I worked very hard to reach.

I even tried Rivera flagship integrated speaker amp Levante with Totaldac flagship source via speaker out which could not rivals the dynamics, bass, vocals, naturalism, and neutrality that this particular preamp could do, and as a matter the gap is not small. The preamp is way organic, and superior toner than Hifi cables and DACs. The fact is any gimmicks, voicing or “house sound” at the source, no matter how mesmerizing and impressive, will come with strawbacks and side effect. The even worse resort is via Hifi cables which I do use as well, but it is even less natural and organic than DACs/ Streamers. Any improvement made with cables is very likely coming with errors. Don’t get me wrong I still use cables and such, after weighing the pros and cons, and give and take.

That is only the short answer behind years of research, practice, and hard work. The final results are very rewarding to myself. While I don’t care to prove to anyone, I am glad that there are friends who can recognize and appreciate it. I know this underestimated format can generate high level of works to truly represent the beauty of music, of which as many loudspeakers people are suspicious.

Plus I agree with everything he said, there is nothing wrong with the analogy he used! It is my honor to share my years of hard work with him. I’m as selective to my guest as to my systems especially with my current setups.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #35,695 of 41,239
Dec 27, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #35,696 of 41,239
D70EA857-BD23-4751-80D0-31C07AD41F9C.jpeg

Dec 27, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #35,698 of 41,239
Dec 28, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #35,699 of 41,239
Just spending some time with the DT1770's last 3 days that I finished upgrading/modding...etc the other week. Looking at them I thought maybe I should make a main cable that matches/reflects the cans new internal/external headband silver/copper mix braided wiring.....

JYXaAfz.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #35,700 of 41,239
Just spending some time with the DT1770's last 3 days that I finished upgrading/modding...etc the other week. Looking at them I thought maybe I should make a main cable that matches/reflects the cans new internal/headband silver/copper mix wiring.....

JYXaAfz.jpg
…. whew! the satisfaction from better sound and from having done this yourself! …. 🥲

Users who are viewing this thread

Back