Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #35,716 of 41,450
@ThanatosVI @zen87192 Definitively also one very hard to beat :) Indeed such pairing is a pure pleasure IMHO. @zen87192 congrats on brilliant setup. :)
Many thanks to you for the kind comments. It is also with thanks to all on the HeadFi forum pages that I have reached this stage. Without their knowledge and assistance my setup would never have been this great. May you all find your Audio Nirvana in this coming New Year of 2023 together with Good Health, Good Hearing and Good Fortune! 🎧

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #35,717 of 41,450
Icon Audio BA3 arrived today. Giving it a run to make sure it works before I stash it away for the 'endgame' chain. It's a big boy. Far bigger than I imagined. Big, chonky, heavy thing. Solid chungus... hefty.

The 6N6 tubes sound okay. I think the quality of the components around them elevates them. Considering pin adapters so I can drop some superior tubes in there. Have to figure out/ask whether a 12au7 would work in the circuit. Regulator tube is sitting a bit wonky, which triggers me. The bypass switch certainly soothes me again, for now. It's the first time I've bought second-hand. But I think it's worked out okay. Certainly saved myself something like $700.

But all-in-all, it sounds good. And when I've got it chained with better gear, it should sound great.

321634840_683939249904297_2123488070658160770_n.jpg
Very interesting post! I have an Icon Audio amp that impresses me greatly (HP8), but had no idea this product existed.

I'm a big fan of tube buffers and can't wait to read your comments on the sound of this one.

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #35,718 of 41,450
Thank you! It’s a pair of Tannoy Precision 6.2s - sadly no longer made, but replaced by another model that also punches above its weight class. The 6.2s are highly recommended if you come across a pair.
I thought the speakers looked like Martin Logan, the ones that can be wall mounted.

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #35,719 of 41,450
I thought the speakers looked like Martin Logan, the ones that can be wall mounted.
Yes, unfortunately my photo does not do the speakers justice at all. Since I don’t have a good shot handy of mine, here’s a photo of the same model/finish as mine (with the magnetic grilles removed). They not only sound good, but look great too.

5660DC0A-B76B-47BF-B2A4-345D623282D4.jpeg

Dec 28, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #35,720 of 41,450
Very interesting post! I have an Icon Audio amp that impresses me greatly (HP8), but had no idea this product existed.

I'm a big fan of tube buffers and can't wait to read your comments on the sound of this one.
Well, it's pleasant in its stock form. Punchy, weighty. Percussion has an organic thwackiness. Synths sound heavenly. There's a sort-of-effortless low-key power to the whole thing.
Instrument separation and definition are a little less, but the organic mass of the music takes up enough space that my mind can fill in the details of outlines. And it really is marginal except with busier music, and even then it doesn't seem congested, just... natural. Like, yeah... that many noises are going to meld a little. But just a little. Some smoothing of detail is present, but again, nothing drastic.

The 6N6's do impress me now that I've spent more time with them. But I'm gonna roll them. 12au7's and 6N6's are both low gain tubes, so that's the start of my rationale for believing it should be fine to do. I think my pair of matched late-60's RFT tubes would make this thing absolutely beastly. Somewhat less 'tubey', but a bigger, clearer sound.

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #35,722 of 41,450
Well, it's pleasant in its stock form. Punchy, weighty. Percussion has an organic thwackiness. Synths sound heavenly. There's a sort-of-effortless low-key power to the whole thing.
Instrument separation and definition are a little less, but the organic mass of the music takes up enough space that my mind can fill in the details of outlines. And it really is marginal except with busier music, and even then it doesn't seem congested, just... natural. Like, yeah... that many noises are going to meld a little. But just a little. Some smoothing of detail is present, but again, nothing drastic.

The 6N6's do impress me now that I've spent more time with them. But I'm gonna roll them. 12au7's and 6N6's are both low gain tubes, so that's the start of my rationale for believing it should be fine to do. I think my pair of matched late-60's RFT tubes would make this thing absolutely beastly. Somewhat less 'tubey', but a bigger, clearer sound.
…RCA ‘cleartop’ 12AU7s may be helpful here; and they are not expensive (💪 & 🦵) …

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #35,723 of 41,450
…RCA ‘cleartop’ 12AU7s may be helpful here; and they are not expensive (💪 & 🦵) …
If I was gonna buy some more tubes for it, I'd be chasing Tungsrams... I have a thirst to hear the legend in action :p

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #35,724 of 41,450
Will be a busy few days as I put a prototype U-amp running KT170 through the pace. Was also loan a HE1000 v1 and Audeze LCD3, both pads are long past due for replacement but nevertheless sounding perfect. I was very surprised by HE1000 v1. I've heard V2 and SE but not V1 before and I must say I do like the V1. But the biggest surprise is the LCD3. This must be pre fazer and it sounded very good ! I've had LCD3f and LCD4 before but hearing this now is a wow moment.

Both Odyssey and the U-amp make these headphones sound amazing. The clarity and sweetness of high frequencies just beg you to put up a sign on the door 'Do not disturb'.

IMG_5547.jpg

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #35,725 of 41,450
This is all I've turned up so far: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283119072561

s-l1600.jpg

I just... get a bad feeling about it. They're all 9 pin tubes, so what kind of space magic is happening in that in-betweeny bit.

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #35,726 of 41,450
This is all I've turned up so far: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283119072561

s-l1600.jpg

I just... get a bad feeling about it. They're all 9 pin tubes, so what kind of space magic is happening in that in-betweeny bit.
Nothing magical, just wires. The pinout for 12a-7 and 6n2 will be different (I'm assuming - I haven't actually looked it up), so the internal wires will do the "re-wiring" for you

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #35,727 of 41,450
Nothing magical, just wires. The pinout for 12a-7 and 6n2 will be different (I'm assuming - I haven't actually looked it up), so the internal wires will do the "re-wiring" for you
Mmm. I feel distrust. I don't understand enough about it.
I don't think I'm going to try rolling to another type of tube in the end. I mistook what I was working with- hadn't really looked into the 6N6 until tonight. And there's not a dearth of info except to say that there are no equivalents and you most likely shouldn't try to get clever with rolling them to other tubes.

Capture6n6.JPG

Luckily enough these tubes sound/the unit overall is sounding better and better to me. Probably just needed a couple of days to blink away its hibernation.

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #35,728 of 41,450
Mmm. I feel distrust. I don't understand enough about it.
I don't think I'm going to try rolling to another type of tube in the end. I mistook what I was working with- hadn't really looked into the 6N6 until tonight. And there's not a dearth of info except to say that there are no equivalents and you most likely shouldn't try to get clever with rolling them to other tubes.

Luckily enough these tubes sound/the unit overall is sounding better and better to me. Probably just needed a couple of days to blink away its hibernation.
Might be a wise choice, considering those tubes are kind of a one-off oddball. The adapter would allow the 12a-7 to work, but if it would function well (ie. sound good)… I'd defer that to smarter folks than me

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #35,729 of 41,450
Nice looking tubes!

Wish I had a brother. 🤣
maybe rather the brother :o2smile: I have 2 and they would probably not qualify for this.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back