Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 11, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #33,182 of 41,104
Presumably it’s a very low-torque belt drive system with a lightweight platter.

Seeing that it is aimed at "music production", I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually direct drive.

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #33,184 of 41,104
Seeing that it is aimed at "music production", I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually direct drive.
With 5V USB power?

Good luck with that!

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #33,185 of 41,104
IMG_20220611_220040.jpg

Meze Elite stepping up and performs pretty well, as long as you give some effort to choose some quality up front gear. Every single component matters and will affect the performance.

Elite is actually quite dynamic and punchy, vocals are lush and emotional. Just a tiny tiny bit of sparkle up top.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #33,186 of 41,104
IMG_20220611_220040.jpg

Meze Elite stepping up and performs pretty well, as long as you give some effort to choose some quality up front gear. Every single component matters and will affect the performance.

Elite is actually quite dynamic and punchy, vocals are lush and emotional. Just a tiny tiny bit of sparkle up top.
Care to share any thoughts between the two Mytek boxes you got there? As far as a dac goes, got amplification covered for now.

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #33,189 of 41,104
IMG_20220611_220040.jpg

I've heard the Niimbus amp in a couple of show situations, but never owned one. What do you think of the build quality, reliability, and usability? How do you find it performing with the Susvara?

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #33,190 of 41,104
With USB-only power, this thing has the potential to completely redefine what are considered acceptable levels of wow and flutter! Presumably it’s a very low-torque belt drive system with a lightweight platter.

Frankly, we are talking 80s Amstrad levels of performance here (at best!)… I’m amazed it comes with a MM cartridge, rather than a ceramic!

It was a good idea (still is), and could have been done so much better. As it is, it looks like it’s going for the Crosley market.

I would have gone for a modern, minimalist design in the Dieter Rams idiom and dropped in a Chinese-made direct drive system… Something like one of the entry-level Audio-Technica decks in a nice package, with line level, headphone and Bluetooth outputs. It would have hit a different market segment, but I am convinced that the volume potential is there.
Good points, but could your design still be assembled at home with a single allen key:grinning:

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #33,191 of 41,104
Good points, but could your design still be assembled at home with a single allen key and cause even moderately religious people to scream long strings of profanities during the assembly process? :grinning:
FTFY. :laughing: :laughing:

Jun 11, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #33,192 of 41,104
Jun 11, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #33,193 of 41,104
I've heard the Niimbus amp in a couple of show situations, but never owned one. What do you think of the build quality, reliability, and usability? How do you find it performing with the Susvara?

I have actually posted on the Niimbus thread, ther you go.

Impression of the Niimbus US 5 Pro and Ferrum Hypsos OOR. Impression is based on the paring with the Utopia and Susvara.

I will be solely focussing on the sonic aspect of the two amps.

The width of the sound stage with the US 5 Pro slightly ahead of the OOR. The stage with the US 5 Pro slightly sounded wider to the left and right. This characteristic also gives the upper hand to the US 5 Pro in terms of separation. Whereas for the depth of the stage, the OOR has a slightly upper hand, some instruments sounded further back at the stage. It may be due to tuning and the blacker background in the OOR, it sounded there are more contrast between black areas and color, this creates a deeper stage. The black background contributes to the presentation of the stage and positioning of instruments on the stage.

For both amps. The size of all instruments and vocals are very well controlled with an accurate amount of space added between them, as if the resolution is enhanced slightly.

The tuning and tonality of the US 5 Pro is very neutral. I really agree with the sonical description that it is a reliable " tool " for music amplification. It does not have much sonical character or coloration to it. It is studio monitor quality neutral, it does not exaggerate your bass, does not add any additional emotion to the vocals, highs are extended and articulated as a studio monitor reference signature. It reveals exactly what is given to it from your upper front gear. It is extremely transparent to it point that it makes everything up front counts including your DAC, XLR analog cable, power cable and even your power source. It is a reliable Tool or a professional device for you to evaluate and compare your headphones and DAC. It is the most neutral and well balance amp that I have came across. Perfectly studio monitor neutral and reference quality in all aspects including tonality, details and staging.

The tuning and tonality of the Hypsos and OOR stack leans slight to the side of coloration for enjoyment. As most of us here have a general consensus that the tuning of the Hypsos and OOR leans slightly warmth of neutral. The higher frequency is also very detailed while being very well controlled in quantity to ensure no excessive hotness or brightness for particular headphones, while maintain the details it some how may masked off some unwanted artifacts in the remix. The tonality characteristic of the Hypsos OOR and tuned with one sole purpose in mind, is to create a musical amp that enables you to enjoy music at the top level of detail and transparency for an extended period of time without fatigue. The Hypsos OOR is not a neutral amp, it has a very slight tasteful coloration to it.

Though the two amps are placed at different price points. Both the US 5 Pro and Hypsos OOR are solid choices. If your preference leans towards the raw performance and wanted to reveal the original track as it is recorded as in the music mastering and production studio, the US 5 Pro is prefered. I would also give the upper hand to the build quality to the US 5 Pro. The amp is masive, heavy duty and the volume nob is like a tank. You are getting a Germany made level of craftsmanship and this tool will last literally more than half a centry.

Jun 11, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #33,194 of 41,104
You were blinded by the lights and didn't notice the Meier!?
That's exactly right. I missed that.

At the last CanJam/NYC pre-pandemic, I spend an extremely interesting 15 minutes talking with the top guy/chief designer of Meier. He was explaining the engineering principles behind his TOTL amp. It was the size of this one in the picture but it might have had a different name. I know it had more controls. Fascinating fellow.

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #33,195 of 41,104
I have actually posted on the Niimbus thread, ther you go.

Impression of the Niimbus US 5 Pro and Ferrum Hypsos OOR. Impression is based on the paring with the Utopia and Susvara.

I will be solely focussing on the sonic aspect of the two amps.

The width of the sound stage with the US 5 Pro slightly ahead of the OOR. The stage with the US 5 Pro slightly sounded wider to the left and right. This characteristic also gives the upper hand to the US 5 Pro in terms of separation. Whereas for the depth of the stage, the OOR has a slightly upper hand, some instruments sounded further back at the stage. It may be due to tuning and the blacker background in the OOR, it sounded there are more contrast between black areas and color, this creates a deeper stage. The black background contributes to the presentation of the stage and positioning of instruments on the stage.

For both amps. The size of all instruments and vocals are very well controlled with an accurate amount of space added between them, as if the resolution is enhanced slightly.

The tuning and tonality of the US 5 Pro is very neutral. I really agree with the sonical description that it is a reliable " tool " for music amplification. It does not have much sonical character or coloration to it. It is studio monitor quality neutral, it does not exaggerate your bass, does not add any additional emotion to the vocals, highs are extended and articulated as a studio monitor reference signature. It reveals exactly what is given to it from your upper front gear. It is extremely transparent to it point that it makes everything up front counts including your DAC, XLR analog cable, power cable and even your power source. It is a reliable Tool or a professional device for you to evaluate and compare your headphones and DAC. It is the most neutral and well balance amp that I have came across. Perfectly studio monitor neutral and reference quality in all aspects including tonality, details and staging.

The tuning and tonality of the Hypsos and OOR stack leans slight to the side of coloration for enjoyment. As most of us here have a general consensus that the tuning of the Hypsos and OOR leans slightly warmth of neutral. The higher frequency is also very detailed while being very well controlled in quantity to ensure no excessive hotness or brightness for particular headphones, while maintain the details it some how may masked off some unwanted artifacts in the remix. The tonality characteristic of the Hypsos OOR and tuned with one sole purpose in mind, is to create a musical amp that enables you to enjoy music at the top level of detail and transparency for an extended period of time without fatigue. The Hypsos OOR is not a neutral amp, it has a very slight tasteful coloration to it.

Though the two amps are placed at different price points. Both the US 5 Pro and Hypsos OOR are solid choices. If your preference leans towards the raw performance and wanted to reveal the original track as it is recorded as in the music mastering and production studio, the US 5 Pro is prefered. I would also give the upper hand to the build quality to the US 5 Pro. The amp is masive, heavy duty and the volume nob is like a tank. You are getting a Germany made level of craftsmanship and this tool will last literally more than half a centry.
Thanks very much for responding. (I should have thought to check the Niimbus thread first!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back