Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
May 15, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #181 of 4,821
If the $6k ones are as good as people report then maybe it's justified. It will be interesting to read the comparisons.

I really would love to hear the Traillii in terms of a $6k IEM, seems to have pretty much unanimous incredibly high praise... but I don't think I'll ever get to find out myself!

May 15, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #182 of 4,821
If the $6k ones are as good as people report then maybe it's justified. It will be interesting to read the comparisons.
Bet they still looking for another iem.

May 15, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #184 of 4,821
Maybe in a few years similar sounding products will cost much less.
Similar will sound later just average so yeah less for average.

May 15, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #185 of 4,821
As I've said earlier in this thread (or maybe the other one!), these are tiny IEMs, disappear into my ears... side by side below with the MEST MKII. Considering the sound quality in such a small unit, quite remarkable engineering!
Can you please comment on their isolation? How much do the IE900 isolate compared to the larger models? Thanks

May 15, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #186 of 4,821
Bet they still looking for another iem.
I think It's more about mental stimulation rather than actual sound for a lot of hardcore hobbyists. That's why they keep buying and are not fully satisfied for long. Not that I'm immune to it, lol.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #187 of 4,821
I think It's more about mental stimulation rather than actual sound for a lot of hardcore hobbyists. That's why they keep buying and are not fully satisfied for long. Not that I'm immune to it, lol.

I think it's more about dopamine addiction than mental stimulation.

May 15, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #189 of 4,821
Can you please comment on their isolation? How much do the IE900 isolate compared to the larger models? Thanks

Excellent isolation but I've been using the Comply TSX-500 instead of the stock tips... I didn't get a good seal with any of the silicone and even the large foam tips were a touch too small - the TSX-500 are perfect for me.

May 15, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #190 of 4,821
Aren't the HD 660S supposed to be the successors to the HD 600 (and apparently also the HD 650)?

Either way, I just noticed that Sennheiser also (recently?) changed the HD 600 and HD 650s' design to match the HD 660S', and the Sennheiser logos are not centered but on the head band's left hand side (which was by the way the deciding factor for why I removed the HD 660S from my wish list).

(Like many others, I really like my HD 600 (furtunately mine are still from the time when the Sennheiser logo was centered), and think that they are overall Sennheiser's best dynamic driver headphones. Aside from resolution and imaging precision where they are inferior, I definitely prefer their more natural tuning to the brighter v-shaped nature that my HD 800 have.)
Personally, the HD 660S adds just enough excitement and agility that it is (most days) my favorite of the HD 600 series, and good to great for any music (or gaming) I throw at it. With that said, Jermo and plenty of others at Sennheiser have a strong affection for the HD 600 tuning, and the first model Jermo did that honored that tuning (but for a lower price, more sub-bass extension, and angled drivers) was the HD 560S, which has set a new bar for the HD 500 series and IMO makes a nice baby HD 600. Who knows what the future holds?

While your taste is obviously your own, and I respect that, I personally really like the HD 600 series redesign. The asymmetrical Sennheiser logo on the headband is easier to catch the full word in photos and IMO adds a bit of visual interest, as well as the now 3D shaped grill on the HD 660S, and the flatter more angular pieces on the yolks and headband feel more modern and confident than the old rounded, bubble shaped mold. A part of me misses the blue-speckled-black of the very 90’s feeling classic HD 600, but the new HD 600 does look more serious and IMO the color choice is subtle but cool. Of course, all models retain their parts-repairability and sound signature.

I don’t feel like many would call the HD 800 or HD 800S “v-shaped headphones,” though you may have been referring to the HD 600 as V-shaped. The HD 600 were carefully tuned to sound like a good pair of monitor speakers inside a well-treated music studio environment, and for many, that type of tuning is their reference or their “neutral.” The IE 900 has just a bit more bass and treble quantity than that (and more bass than an HD 800S), so it has a mild v-shape, though it’s important to restate that the quality is so tight and well separated that despite being punchy, “airy” is the description that keeps coming to my mind.

I will be very interested to see what descriptions others come to!

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #191 of 4,821
I don’t have isolation measurements yet, so I would guess from experience that it falls in the (admittedly wide) range of 16-24 dB of isolation.

Yesterday morning, with my battery operated lawn mower (a bit quieter than a gas mower), I actually took out my IE 300 while listening to Wilco’s “Whole Love” album. I set the music volume before starting the mower (so it would be hearing safe!), and most of the time I could hear the mower quietly in the background... but at one point my battery ran out and I ran a line and a half before realizing the mower was off 😅 The IE 300 and IE 900 have similar isolation (and a body style derived from the Pro IEMs intended for stage use), and the foam tips provide more isolation than the silicon.

Excellent isolation but I've been using the Comply TSX-500 instead of the stock tips... I didn't get a good seal with any of the silicone and even the large foam tips were a touch too small - the TSX-500 are perfect for me.
Lucky you! I usually have the opposite problem, going for the smallest tips available (the small IE 900 tips work for me, but I may explore other ones), and I can’t even use some IEMs with large nozzles.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #192 of 4,821
Personally, the HD 660S adds just enough excitement and agility that it is (most days) my favorite of the HD 600 series, and good to great for any music (or gaming) I throw at it. With that said, Jermo and plenty of others at Sennheiser have a strong affection for the HD 600 tuning, and the first model Jermo did that honored that tuning (but for a lower price, more sub-bass extension, and angled drivers) was the HD 560S, which has set a new bar for the HD 500 series and IMO makes a nice baby HD 600. Who knows what the future holds?

While your taste is obviously your own, and I respect that, I personally really like the HD 600 series redesign. The asymmetrical Sennheiser logo on the headband is easier to catch the full word in photos and IMO adds a bit of visual interest, as well as the now 3D shaped grill on the HD 660S, and the flatter more angular pieces on the yolks and headband feel more modern and confident than the old rounded, bubble shaped mold. A part of me misses the blue-speckled-black of the very 90’s feeling classic HD 600, but the new HD 600 does look more serious and IMO the color choice is subtle but cool. Of course, all models retain their parts-repairability and sound signature.

I don’t feel like many would call the HD 800 or HD 800S “v-shaped headphones,” though you may have been referring to the HD 600 as V-shaped. The HD 600 were carefully tuned to sound like a good pair of monitor speakers inside a well-treated music studio environment, and for many, that type of tuning is their reference or their “neutral.” The IE 900 has just a bit more bass and treble quantity than that (and more bass than an HD 800S), so it has a mild v-shape, though it’s important to restate that the quality is so tight and well separated that despite being punchy, “airy” is the description that keeps coming to my mind.

I will be very interested to see what descriptions others come to!

I hadn't even realised that the HD 600s' colour scheme has changed as well until reading your post, but indeed, they look different now. While I personally really like my HD 600s' blue granite appearance, the new colour scheme looks visually more professional as well as refreshing to me, and most likely also more pleasant to most people.

Personally, I would definitely not refer to the HD 600 as "v-shaped" but rather "natural neutral"/"warm-neutral", but nonetheless find the HD 800 to be more on the v-shaped side of things, albeit with a more treble-oriented tilt in combination with a reduced but still natural sounding upper midrange/presence range (my personal perception of flat neutral when it comes to headphones and in-ears is fairly close to the diffuse-field target (I don't find a moderate boost of the lowest registers for the compensation of the lack for mechanical vibrations in headphones/IEMs compared to speakers necessary, but others may and do feel otherwise), hence most headphones that are considered as "bass-light" by many don't sound lean in the lows to me at all but sometimes even moderately boosted (while I clearly prefer models that are closer to the diffuse-field target for "serious" CD rig headphone/IEM listening, this doesn't mean that I don't own and use heavily bass- and/or treble-boosted headphones and in-ears for recreational music listening and/or other purposes such as occasionally watching a film - in fact, it's actually even rather rare that I use neutrally tuned in-ears and headphones for this purpose)).

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #193 of 4,821
Does it sound like the ie800 given they have a similar driver? Does the shape of it make any difference? I wanted an expensive ($2000) new sound design IE80 I guess.... that would be the ultimate. Not a rehashed ie800. Should I buy a Dita Dream instead?

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #194 of 4,821
I hadn't even realised that the HD 600s' colour scheme has changed as well until reading your post, but indeed, they look different now. While I personally really like my HD 600s' blue granite appearance, the new colour scheme looks visually more professional as well as refreshing to me, and most likely also more pleasant to most people.

Personally, I would definitely not refer to the HD 600 as "v-shaped" but rather "natural neutral"/"warm-neutral", but nonetheless find the HD 800 to be more on the v-shaped side of things, albeit with a more treble-oriented tilt in combination with a reduced but still natural sounding upper midrange/presence range (my personal perception of flat neutral when it comes to headphones and in-ears is fairly close to the diffuse-field target (I don't find a moderate boost of the lowest registers for the compensation of the lack for mechanical vibrations in headphones/IEMs compared to speakers necessary, but others may and do feel otherwise), hence most headphones that are considered as "bass-light" by many don't sound lean in the lows to me at all but sometimes even moderately boosted (while I clearly prefer models that are closer to the diffuse-field target for "serious" CD rig headphone/IEM listening, this doesn't mean that I don't own and use heavily bass- and/or treble-boosted headphones and in-ears for recreational music listening and/or other purposes such as occasionally watching film - in fact, it's actually even rather rare that I use neutrally tuned in-ears and headphones for this purpose)).
Perfectly justified and well explained reasoning! The diffuse field target does indeed have a bit less bass than the bit of room-reinforcement in studio monitor setups (and even less than many home hifi setups, but of course as a whole those have widely diverse signatures!).

I think it’s interesting to go back to 90’s and earlier music. Synthetic bass-drenched music seemed (IMO) less common back then, and the midbass and sub bass of the HD 800S is plenty for Nirvana, Paul Simon, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, etc... The rare exception like the famous and taste-setting “Angel” by Massive Attack still lets you hear the deep opening notes and has air-pushing impact, but I think part of what we expect in more modern music is to hear a track like that with the bass blooming, dripping down and over the whole track like a thunder cloud to convey a sense of threat and power overwhelming.

I think the IE 900 has a bit more bass than the HD 800S, but it is also very tight and low distortion. I like it stock, but it also provides a clean baseline (bassline?) where people have the option to add distortion and crosstalk with software if they are in the mood for a more overwhelming emotion. Personally, so far I haven’t wanted to change it yet at all, and found it very emotional.

Does it sound like the ie800 given they have a similar driver? Does the shape of it make any difference? I wanted an expensive ($2000) new sound design IE80 I guess.... that would be the ultimate. Not a rehashed ie800. Should I buy a Dita Dream instead?
Oh, you should check out Jermo K’s post in the Q&A thread for details! Other than sharing the 7mm diameter, everything about the driver membrane polymer, permanent magnet, em coils, back volume, diffusion with the acoustic vortex, tuning with the Helmholtz resonators, external shell and detachable cables, is all new from the ground up.

EDIT: there’s a couple posts of info, here’s one of them: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/live-q-a-ie-900-with-jermo-koehnke.957764/post-16353757

Also, not to disparage anyone who loves the sound, but the IE 900 absolutely slays my IE 80S on a technical level. The IE 300 would be the most direct upgrade to the IE 80 and IE 80S, with similar bass quantity around the IE 80 at its lowest setting (which was still strong), but the quality and distortion is on another level.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back