Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
May 15, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #196 of 4,821
Listening to 'The Same Deep Water as You' by The Cure earlier, vocals definitely slightly recessed - I was keen to test an album/song I know very well, Disintegration certainly ticks that box having it for 30 odd years now. The vocals pushed forward on the MEST. It's marginal though and certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Another test right now is In Sides by Orbital - again an album I know and love for many years. This sounds excellent and a very accurate representation of what I expect to hear.

I'm often disappointed with older recordings on IEMs so very pleased they pass this test so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 15, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #197 of 4,821
FWIW the HD 600 is the measuring stick for diffuse-field equal open-back headphones. It was crafted to be the "clear glass" lens at the time, and for the way people listened as well. The way music is mixed and consumed has changed dramatically since then, however, and thus our expectations for what we can react to. It accentuates the 600's ability to say "here ya go, this is damn close to what the label wanted" regardless of era.

IE 900 seems to levitate between critical and enjoyable in a way I've never experienced. It's has a few 600-esque qualities but presentation is apples vs pears because of the coupling, but I don't think that will go against anyone's expectations of physics.

Can't wait for you all to try (and receive) it!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #198 of 4,821
IE 900 seems to levitate between critical and enjoyable in a way I've never experienced.

Yes absolutely agree, this is why I referred to it sitting somewhere between IER-M9 and MEST for me - the former has been my real critical listening IEM and the latter an exciting and fun IEM, IE900 definitely slots between them which is a fantastic place to be.

May 15, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #199 of 4,821
Yes absolutely agree, this is why I referred to it sitting somewhere between IER-M9 and MEST for me - the former has been my real critical listening IEM and the latter an exciting and fun IEM, IE900 definitely slots between them which is a fantastic place to be.
Amen. That Goldilocks zone is magical!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 15, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #200 of 4,821
Hello!
I was surprised to see IE900 coming. I'm trying to decide to pre-order or not and before i buy something i check for some things, i.e. accessories. Of coarse there is nothing specifically for IE900, so i checked accessories for IE300. Well i can not locate original tips for sale on Sennhiser website or even on Amazon. There is aftermarket ones on Amazon with a foam inside, but no original? I do not understand why. If you trying to order on their website it will tell you that it is not available and you need to call company to return your IEM. Very strange. Second problem MMCX cables which probably will not fit either IE300 or IE900 and i do not like the way original cables made like. They reminding me cables on Sure 846. But on those i was able to fit any aftermarket cable. May be i missing something? IE300 is $300 IEM, but IE900 is $1000!!! more and i hate if i will have same problems with those. For these kind of money i can order something like Thieaudio Clairvoyance + Thieaudio Excalibur and lets say Blessing 2 Dusk (if you count TAX) and NO ABOVE PROBLEMS (including tax). Please tell me I'm not right, but tell me why. :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #201 of 4,821
Second problem MMCX cables which probably will not fit either IE300 or IE900 and i do not like the way original cables made like. They reminding me cables on Sure 846. But on those i was able to fit any aftermarket cable. May be i missing something?
Maybe owners of IE300 have a list of compatible cables already, but for now it looks like finding a cable that fits might be a problem.
But it will be solved to some extent eventually i'm sure, and more companies will provide cables with slim MMCX connectors, especially if IE900 become really popular.

May 15, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #202 of 4,821
Excellent isolation but I've been using the Comply TSX-500 instead of the stock tips... I didn't get a good seal with any of the silicone and even the large foam tips were a touch too small - the TSX-500 are perfect for me.
Thanks, that's not so great news, as I prefer silicone tips over foam ones. Do you feel that the foam tips alter the sound negatively, and have you found any silicone tips which fit fine?

May 15, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #203 of 4,821
Maybe owners of IE300 have a list of compatible cables already, but for now it looks like finding a cable that fits might be a problem.
But it will be solved to some extent eventually i'm sure, and more companies will provide cables with slim MMCX connectors, especially if IE900 become really popular.
The IE900 designer pointed out to a third party cable he is using actively on the IE900 in his Q&A yesterday, and Headfonia have found some which work. So it seems doable, although with a restricted range...

May 15, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #204 of 4,821
Thanks, that's not so great news, as I prefer silicone tips over foam ones. Do you feel that the foam tips alter the sound negatively, and have you found any silicone tips which fit fine?

I'm not usually a fan of foam tips but these are perfectly suited. They actually came with the MEST MKII and I thought I'd try them... a wider bore than other foam tips I've tried in the past, I haven't found any negative impact to sound and I've just ordered another 3 pack. I haven't tried any other silicone yet, been no need as so happy with this pairing.

I've had about 5 hours listening today and I absolutely love them, spectacular IEM.

20210513_111850.jpg

May 15, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #206 of 4,821
Waiting for more impressions on these. If they're what Sennheiser expects them to be I hope I don't regret waiting as they may become scarce real quick.
Same. I've tried real hard to stop the habit of early adopting, as much as I'd like to pick these up right now. Would be awesome if there's a tour or better way to audition these without actually buying them, so you know you're making the right purchase. I guess a big problem with earphones in general that gets worse the more expensive they are.

May 15, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #207 of 4,821
I'm not usually a fan of foam tips but these are perfectly suited. They actually came with the MEST MKII and I thought I'd try them... a wider bore than other foam tips I've tried in the past, I haven't found any negative impact to sound and I've just ordered another 3 pack. I haven't tried any other silicone yet, been no need as so happy with this pairing.

I've had about 5 hours listening today and I absolutely love them, spectacular IEM.

20210513_111850.jpg
Since you are pretty much the only one to have them now, can you please give a better explanation how they work with movies? Subbass, micro details, soundstage etc? And if you can compare to other IEMs will be great.
Much appreciated in advance.

May 15, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #208 of 4,821
Since you are pretty much the only one to have them now, can you please give a better explanation how they work with movies? Subbass, micro details, soundstage etc? And if you can compare to other IEMs will be great.
Much appreciated in advance.

I've not listened at all for movies, I never do actually with IEMs! I'll hook them up to my laptop tomorrow and try them.

May 15, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #209 of 4,821
I've not listened at all for movies, I never do actually with IEMs! I'll hook them up to my laptop tomorrow and try them.
If you do, please give them a go with Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Make sure to use the Netflix app instead of Chrome, as the app outputs multichannel. If you have the right files, VLC as a player will also work. There are a few preferences in the Atmos settings, but try at default and give some time for your brain to acclimate. Also, not all shows on Netflix are multichannel but give a few productions a try.

I'm quite interested in the IE 900 and have read that they will work well for crosstalk/crossfeed and I'm interested in how well they do for binaural recordings as well as spatial DSP for stereo/multichannel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back