Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
May 14, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #151 of 4,821
I'm a little skeptical about single DD being able to match the layering and separation M9 is capable of, but i'm curious enough to try and decide for myself.
M9 is middle of the road sound.

May 14, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #153 of 4,821
I find the M9 requires full attention to properly appreciate, I can't use them as an all-rounder. Choose a detailed album, sit back and focus, they are stunning.
But here you are.

May 14, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #156 of 4,821
The IE900 achieves a wonderful balance for me - excellent bass with non-fatiguing treble and stunning, natural sounding detail and soundstage. It at times feels like a more exciting IER-M9, adding extra energy but remaining analytical and intimate. It's an unbelievably addictive IEM and at this point I feel probably the best all-rounder I've heard.

The IER M9 is one of the most thoroughly "meh" IEMs I've ever heard. I'm really excited to hear the IE900...I've wanted a single DD in my collection for a while and this one seems like it may fit the bill. The tech described in the video that they're using for the highs sounds quite enticing.

May 14, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #158 of 4,821
It certainly divides opinions that's for sure!

Yeah it should be said in fairness that people who go for the sort of sound the M9 puts out tend to love it...but it's not for everyone.

May 14, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #160 of 4,821
I have original IE800 in my ears right now. I can wear them over ears, so I have no cable issues. Do we already have comparisons to the IE800? Because if you have a proper fit like I have they sound incredible good. Also already very strong and clean bass fantastic mids and treble. It is all there no peaks nothing is missing.
Btw, did Axel Grell have some influence on the IE900 in his late days at Sennheiser? From the impressions I see here, it seems so to me.

May 14, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #162 of 4,821
Does anyone know if the IE900 accepts standard MMCX third party cables?
Depends, because of the recessed sockets. The connector itself is standard. It's just a matter if it'll fit just fine. I imagine for most it won't be a problem.

May 14, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #163 of 4,821
I have original IE800 in my ears right now. I can wear them over ears, so I have no cable issues. Do we already have comparisons to the IE800? Because if you have a proper fit like I have they sound incredible good. Also already very strong and clean bass fantastic mids and treble. It is all there no peaks nothing is missing.
Btw, did Axel Grell have some influence on the IE900 in his late days at Sennheiser? From the impressions I see here, it seems so to me.
The IE 900’s designer just compared them in the Q&A thread!

May 14, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #164 of 4,821
That helps me a lot. I have very little knowledge about reading these graphs.
A V-shaped tuning has emphasis in the low and high notes, relative to the midrange where we hear voices and most instruments (we’re extra sensitive to mids, and will usually base our volume dial off of our perception of mids – think vocals). Raising the extremes of the frequency spectrum emphasizes those sounds that are a little more “special” and rare to us, often only heard in music, so things feel more exciting.

Using the IE 900, my first impression was that it was a fairly airy, somewhat bright signature, and the bass was there when it was called for, but not emphasized over the mids and dominating all songs. With further listening, I realize that comes in large part because the bass is so tight and has so little “bloom” over other notes, but there is a fair quantity amount. So, overall, MY ears (ymmv) hear it as a mildly v-shaped sound, with a good perception of depth and distance, very tight and clear bass, but the wow factor (for me) comes from the sparkling upper mids and treble extension.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #165 of 4,821
Love my HD 800S. I'm not looking for better. I am looking to purchase some spare parts from Sennheiser, like "Article No. 534406 headband padding"(https://spares.sennheiser.com/en-us/catalog/sparepart/534406). It's been out of stock for months.

When?
FOUND YOU!
I’ve been looking for this post for at least an hour and a half, naturally I checked the HD 800S thread first 😅

Apparently, it IS in stock, and now that I’ve alerted them they’re going to look into why it’s not showing. Best process (USA) to get one (and I need one too!):

Part # 534406 $30.27 HD800 headband cushion
Call 1-877-736-6434 extension 1, and reference the part #.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back