Sennheiser HD439 review
Jun 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #107 of 167
Pretty Sure, however the experience with this thing may vary, obviously do not cover all the driver. With my headphone, this tape put in this mode, seems to work, however i will try to remove it to see if the tape is doing something right now.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #108 of 167
Don't know why you guys mod these, they are perfect stock IMO: great soundstage, width and depth, for closed phones, especially in the price range, and surprisingly good separation as well. Maybe not the best imaging or speed, but these are Sennheisers we're talking about. Pretty balanced, a bit on the warm and dark side, but I love it. They are a very comfortable, relaxed, natural listen without being boring.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #110 of 167
to my ears the hd439 is a low budget momentum equivalent. not as refined, but and that is quite interesting soundstage is wider and deeper by a mile. the kid of these two phones might be a perfekt phone.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #112 of 167
Quote:
Don't know why you guys mod these, they are perfect stock IMO: great soundstage, width and depth, for closed phones, especially in the price range, and surprisingly good separation as well. Maybe not the best imaging or speed, but these are Sennheisers we're talking about. Pretty balanced, a bit on the warm and dark side, but I love it. They are a very comfortable, relaxed, natural listen without being boring.

Simply because they sound sooo much better! Going back makes them sound like a cheap useless set...
For me, a 3 open hole for HD-439 and a 3 open hole with the towel mod for the HD-449 are the PERFECT sound listening mods for these headphones.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #113 of 167
Quote:
Simply because they sound sooo much better! Going back makes them sound like a cheap useless set...
For me, a 3 open hole for HD-439 and a 3 open hole with the towel mod for the HD-449 are the PERFECT sound listening mods for these headphones.

I think that a 3 open hole for the HD439 is for bass-heads, not PERFECT. Stock, this headphone is great for the price and not a cheap useless set...
Quote:

I Agree with you, partially. Without the bass mod (with one hole without the tape for example) this headphone is better, The bass lacks punch  when is stock IMO, with the bass mod sound similar (but not equal, by far) to my HD 558. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #114 of 167
Ok, definitely not doing the bass mod...the HD558s were too bassy for me. The bass could be a bit tighter/punchier, but it does fine with all of the music I use them for; sure psytrance could use a little extra kick, but I rarely think about it.
Quote:

I think that a 3 open hole for the HD439 is for bass-heads, not PERFECT. Stock, this headphone is great for the price and not a cheap useless set...
I Agree with you, partially. Without the bass mod (with one hole without the tape for example) this headphone is better, The bass lacks punch  when is stock IMO, with the bass mod sound similar (but not equal, by far) to my HD 558. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #115 of 167
Im suprised to hear your state that says "the hd 558 were too bassy for me", very surprised because all the graphs shows a different thing, however the graphs dont show everything (For Example: The graphs says that the hd 439 have more bass than hd 558 and my ears hear the opposite)

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #116 of 167
Well to my ears the HD439 has a tighter, punchier bass presentation, whereas the lows of the 558 sounded more atmospheric and loose/uncontrolled, coloring the mids heavily and making the whole sound a bit thick for my tastes. The HD558 were also darker to my ears, which could explain greater perceived bassiness. The 439 is warm in tonality, but relative to the 558s they sound more balanced.
Im suprised to hear your state that says "the hd 558 were too bassy for me", very surprised because all the graphs shows a different thing, however the graphs dont show everything (For Example: The graphs says that the hd 439 have more bass than hd 558 and my ears hear the opposite)

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #117 of 167
Quote:
Well to my ears the HD439 has a tighter, punchier bass presentation, whereas the lows of the 558 sounded more atmospheric and loose/uncontrolled, coloring the mids heavily and making the whole sound a bit thick for my tastes. The HD558 were also darker to my ears, which could explain greater perceived bassiness. The 439 is warm in tonality, but relative to the 558s they sound more balanced.

Surprising.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2861&graphID[]=4001&graphID[]=3741&scale=30

Because this graph shows the opposite. I put the graph of the v-moda M80 because its known for be polite in the highs department, and have much more highs than hd439.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #118 of 167
*shrug* Graphs don't tell everything, I suppose, but I do see the mid bass hump of the HD558 extending further up in the 250-700 range, which could very easily be the cause of the perceived thickness. Its bass is also not as linear extending below 100hz as the HD439, which, combined with its open design, probably explains why the HD439 bass seems punchier. I do think its highs are brighter than the HD439, it is more balanced in terms of relative frequency emphasis, but the tonality is not as neutral IMO.
Surprising.

=2861&graphID[]=4001&graphID[]=3741&scale=30]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2861&graphID[]=4001&graphID[]=3741&scale=30

Because this graph shows the opposite. I put the graph of the v-moda M80 because its known for be polite in the highs department, and have much more highs than hd439.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back