Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3,271 of 13,350
  I strongly doubt the large, large majority of people can tell the difference between a V0 and a 320 without Bifrost-tier gear or better

Nobody should be able to tell the difference. It's the same thing just using different technologies. The variable bit rate is to save space but can go as high as 320 when it needs to give that much information. Unless you meant between either of those two and FLAC? I know I can't tell the difference between 320 and flac anyway. I don't think that most people can even with exceptional gear.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #3,272 of 13,350
the bifrost has landed !

it just got here, its taken the place of the peachtree dacIT for the time being, let the games begin !

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #3,273 of 13,350

Nobody should be able to tell the difference. It's the same thing just using different technologies. The variable bit rate is to save space but can go as high as 320 when it needs to give that much information. Unless you meant between either of those two and FLAC? I know I can't tell the difference between 320 and flac anyway. I don't think that most people can even with exceptional gear.

I can definitely tell V0/320 from FLAC on my Bifrost/Valhalla/T70 rig... on some music, but not all. Complex, layered death metal with synth bits and dual vocalists? Not so much. Well mastered jazz in an otherwise dead quiet room? Absolutely.

As I understood it, V0 shaved a bit off the very top, the frequencies that are inaudible to anyone but children pretty much, in addition to VBRing at max fidelity - which should make it indistinguishable from 320 for any of us, but if it doesn't even do that and just cuts out true silence, then yeah it'd be literally impossible to tell. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3,274 of 13,350
  the bifrost has landed !

it just got here, its taken the place of the peachtree dacIT for the time being, let the games begin !

Hey Jay! So, are you preferring the Bifrost on first blush?

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #3,275 of 13,350

Agreed for the most part. I did some blind A/B testing with a friend on Foobar. (320kbps files ripped from FLAC files then compared to the FLAC) For the most part I was able to hear the difference about 80% of the time or more. The difference is very, and I mean ear straining, immediate A/B switching listening. So yes... normally when just listening to music and not trying to analyze and hear the difference, it is basically negligible.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #3,276 of 13,350
  Hey Jay! So, are you preferring the Bifrost on first blush?

well, lets start by saying, the bifrost i have, is usb2, no uber(yet),
the first thing that jumped out at me, was a little more bass, highs , while not harsh, not as smooth as the dacIT
now, when i had the modi, i did notice quite an improvement in its top end smoothing out over a few days
so far, so good, can really say one's better than the other though, just different

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3,278 of 13,350
Sep 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #3,282 of 13,350
Should I have to manually adjust the sample rate in the Audio MIDI Setup with the Bifrost? I have been playing mostly 44.1/16 in iTunes but when I went to the MIDI just now I saw it was set at 96/16. Isn't the Bifrost supposed to match all this up automatically with the clock? 

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3,283 of 13,350
Should I have to manually adjust the sample rate in the Audio MIDI Setup with the Bifrost? I have been playing mostly 44.1/16 in iTunes but when I went to the MIDI just now I saw it was set at 96/16. Isn't the Bifrost supposed to match all this up automatically with the clock? 

I was doing that for a long time, then realized that when I didn't, I got a message from Jplay "dac switched sample rate" at the beginning of playback of whatever files. So yes, I believe Bifrost does that when it recieves the data. It just doesn't have indicator lights to say so.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #3,284 of 13,350
I was doing that for a long time, then realized that when I didn't, I got a message from Jplay "dac switched sample rate" at the beginning of playback of whatever files. So yes, I believe Bifrost does that when it recieves the data. It just doesn't have indicator lights to say so.

Thanks, yeah it looks like when I switch from 44.1 to 96 it changes automatically, but it doesn't change 16 to 24. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #3,285 of 13,350
Jason or mike.... could you PLEASE check the emails? I just want an answer one way or the other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back