Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #3,181 of 13,350
Seriously every thread on this forum at one point or another devolves to an argument about cables. Everyone that can't hear the difference is deaf and everyone that does is stupid. Can't we just talk about the gear and agree to disagree when it comes to connectors?

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3,182 of 13,350
Quote:
If you're powering IEMs as detailed as JH13... I'd argue go Asgard 2 and Bifrost. Or at least A2... the low gain and high gain versatility makes it a better "do all" amp for your collection of cans... so in the end, your HE 400s and your JH13s will thank you.

So I found a first version Asgard for $40 less than the A2, is the only difference the gain switch and they have the same/similar sound or is there more to it that would make the additional $40 adviseable?

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3,183 of 13,350
Quote:
JM did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today awful judgemental

No, it just kills me that facts about audio gear and cables are regarded as "things to believe in" and the amount of people that are either too stubborn, cheap or can't hear the difference treat these things like believing in Bigfoot, aliens or Jesus.  It's a bit maddening to someone who has been in the business for so long and knows that DACS sound different, let alone one that costs $150 and one that costs $500 and cables make a difference.  I think I just need to stay away or like I said there needs to be an audiophile section to this website.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #3,184 of 13,350
Quote:
No, it just kills me that facts about audio gear and cables are regarded as "things to believe in" and the amount of people that are either too stubborn, cheap or can't hear the difference treat these things like believing in Bigfoot, aliens or Jesus.  It's a bit maddening to someone who has been in the business for so long and knows that DACS sound different, let alone one that costs $150 and one that costs $500 and cables make a difference.  I think I just need to stay away or like I said there needs to be an audiophile section to this website.

what about summit fi ?

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #3,189 of 13,350
Quote:
JM I knew that the bifrost would make a difference but not the amount it did
I think you should start your own forum just audio genius allowed

don't sweat it tuna , as someone who is seriously thinking about getting a bifrost, i appreciated your comments and found them useful !!

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #3,192 of 13,350
Heya,

Just wanted to chime in as a relatively new audiophile disciple - got my Magni/Modi stack (driving Senn Momentums) running as my work station last week, replacing an FiiO E07k. Really loving the sound; seems to have widened the stage a bit and sends the lows down harder (listening to the new NiN "Copy of A" right now - nice compression/balance play
wink.gif
)

Also, the stack does seem to be breaking in; smoothing out. Not a ginormous amount, but it seems less brittle this week - is that a thing with SS, or am I just acclimating?

Only 4 weeks ago, I was just learning about DACs and AMPs. having devoted so much of my life to music, I can't believe I had gone so long without more appropriate signalChain intervention! Until I get my home rig configured and setup, this makes me anticipate going to WORK now...(must...prioritize...home...setup...!!1)

Also, just a quick aside on the strife in this thread of late, if I may : the reason I was drawn to this community in the first place was that with knowledgable peeps hanging out ready to help those of us who are learning as well as debate those among us who have more knowledge and experience, we have such a wonderful space to explore the finer things in the audio universe. Let's not start putting up walls and judging anyone based on their current state of Head-Fi'ness - this place rocks too hard to start devolving into that sort of trollspace
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,193 of 13,350
Quote:
Has anyone used the Valhalla with low impedance headphones?

And has anyone tried using Ortho's on the Valhalla? I know it's not right, but i just want to know what happens.

Yes, I tried both of my Ortho's with the Valhalla.   The V just wasn't designed to power them.   It puts out 100mw at 32 ohm so the sound was weak and undynamic.   No puffy white smoke mind you but I don't think the amp or the HP's liked the pairing.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Whoops,  must edit:   The V puts out 100mw @ 50 ohms.  I doubt it would survive a 32 ohm load. 
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 100mW
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 420mW
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 210mW
Looks like 300ohm HP's are an ideal match for it.
cheers.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #3,194 of 13,350
Quote:
Has anyone used the Valhalla with low impedance headphones?

And has anyone tried using Ortho's on the Valhalla? I know it's not right, but i just want to know what happens.

It's not pretty.

Muddy, low volume, microscopic soundstage. Makes my HD580s sound like $20 trash. 
Makes the 600 ohms of the T70 sing like angels, though. It's an amazing amp, it's just really, really not for low impedance. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3,195 of 13,350
Quote:

Switch to decaf JM.  
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back