1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Owners Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hodgjy, Mar 15, 2012.
First

Back
203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212
214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223
Next

Last
  1. Byronb
    Seriously every thread on this forum at one point or another devolves to an argument about cables. Everyone that can't hear the difference is deaf and everyone that does is stupid. Can't we just talk about the gear and agree to disagree when it comes to connectors?

BacHolz likes this.
  2. tjcaustin
    Quote:
    So I found a first version Asgard for $40 less than the A2, is the only difference the gain switch and they have the same/similar sound or is there more to it that would make the additional $40 adviseable?

3. jmsaxon69
    Quote:
    No, it just kills me that facts about audio gear and cables are regarded as "things to believe in" and the amount of people that are either too stubborn, cheap or can't hear the difference treat these things like believing in Bigfoot, aliens or Jesus.  It's a bit maddening to someone who has been in the business for so long and knows that DACS sound different, let alone one that costs $150 and one that costs $500 and cables make a difference.  I think I just need to stay away or like I said there needs to be an audiophile section to this website.

4. jaywillin
    Quote:

what about summit fi ?

5. jmsaxon69
    Quote:

I'll check it out, thanks...

6. tuna47
    JM I knew that the bifrost would make a difference but not the amount it did
    I think you should start your own forum just audio genius allowed

BacHolz likes this.
  7. tuna47
    And by the way this is a help blog also so if you have some wisdom share it nicely

8. nfslmao
    Has anyone used the Valhalla with low impedance headphones?

And has anyone tried using Ortho's on the Valhalla? I know it's not right, but i just want to know what happens.

9. jaywillin
    Quote:

don't sweat it tuna , as someone who is seriously thinking about getting a bifrost, i appreciated your comments and found them useful !!

10. Taliesin
    Between the Asgard 2 and the Lyr, which do people recommend for the HD700?

11. jmsaxon69
    Quote:

That's a good idea!

12. mazzelectra
    Heya,

Just wanted to chime in as a relatively new audiophile disciple - got my Magni/Modi stack (driving Senn Momentums) running as my work station last week, replacing an FiiO E07k. Really loving the sound; seems to have widened the stage a bit and sends the lows down harder (listening to the new NiN "Copy of A" right now - nice compression/balance play [​IMG])

Also, the stack does seem to be breaking in; smoothing out. Not a ginormous amount, but it seems less brittle this week - is that a thing with SS, or am I just acclimating?

Only 4 weeks ago, I was just learning about DACs and AMPs. having devoted so much of my life to music, I can't believe I had gone so long without more appropriate signalChain intervention! Until I get my home rig configured and setup, this makes me anticipate going to WORK now...(must...prioritize...home...setup...!!1)

Also, just a quick aside on the strife in this thread of late, if I may : the reason I was drawn to this community in the first place was that with knowledgable peeps hanging out ready to help those of us who are learning as well as debate those among us who have more knowledge and experience, we have such a wonderful space to explore the finer things in the audio universe. Let's not start putting up walls and judging anyone based on their current state of Head-Fi'ness - this place rocks too hard to start devolving into that sort of trollspace [​IMG]

13. Raptor34
    Quote:

Yes, I tried both of my Ortho's with the Valhalla.   The V just wasn't designed to power them.   It puts out 100mw at 32 ohm so the sound was weak and undynamic.   No puffy white smoke mind you but I don't think the amp or the HP's liked the pairing.   [​IMG]

Whoops,  must edit:   The V puts out 100mw @ 50 ohms.  I doubt it would survive a 32 ohm load. 
    Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 100mW
    Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 420mW
    Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 210mW
    Looks like 300ohm HP's are an ideal match for it.
    cheers.

14. IorekByrnison
    Quote:

It's not pretty.

Muddy, low volume, microscopic soundstage. Makes my HD580s sound like $20 trash. 
    Makes the 600 ohms of the T70 sing like angels, though. It's an amazing amp, it's just really, really not for low impedance. 

15. Raptor34
    Quote:

Switch to decaf JM.   [​IMG]   

First

Back
203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212
214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223
Next

Last