Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #3,154 of 13,350
Quote:
Just curious when you guys listen to music with your Schiit products do you put the volume high or not too loud and not too low?

Depends on the music I am listening to, and my mood.  If I am listening to something and want to rock-out (be it rock, metal, rap, hip-hop, country, etc.) I will usually have the volume knob around 9-11 o'clock.

If I am just chilling out or listening while I am working form home, it is usually between 7-9 o'clock (or as you put it, not too loud, not too low).

Also, since I am using HD518s at home, if my wife is also working in the and on a conference call, I will lower the volume so the phone does not pick up the leakage from the headphones.

(or I will just put on my HD428s instead and crank the volume...)

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #3,155 of 13,350
Quote:
All this DAC talk has me intrigued. What would I notice upgrading from an ODAC to a Gungnir? Using Mjolnir feeding HE-500s at the moment.

I think you would notice a major improvement across the board. When people say certain things sound like they have a "veil" in comparison, well it will be like this when thinking of your odac only more extreme. That's a big jump, so it would be very easy to notice differences in every category of sound IMO. I would be very shocked if there was any area where the odac was equal.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,156 of 13,350
I listen to death metal at 12:00 on the Valhalla at work sometimes but that's about the limits of what I can take before I suspect my hearing would begin taking damage. Usually I'm somewhere between 9:00-12:00, and over the day I slowly rise from 9-12 as I adjust

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #3,157 of 13,350
what the general feeling as to sticking with the optical(for which i would need a converter) or going with the usb on the bifrost ??
i'm seriously considering the bifrost, and if i had the cash, i'd go ahead and get usb and uber
but i'm thinking of getting one or the other for now

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #3,158 of 13,350
Quote:
what the general feeling as to sticking with the optical(for which i would need a converter) or going with the usb on the bifrost ??
i'm seriously considering the bifrost, and if i had the cash, i'd go ahead and get usb and uber

schiit recommends spdif. Why not get the uber considering that will be an improvement in sound. I doubt you would find much of a difference using usb.

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3,159 of 13,350
Quote:

If you have to spend money on a converter... then screw it, save up a bit more and go straight for USB and the Uber (why pay again later for shipping and possibly installing fee?). You eventually will likely pick up the uber anyhow.

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #3,162 of 13,350
If you have to spend money on a converter... then screw it, save up a bit more and go straight for USB and the Uber (why pay again later for shipping and possibly installing fee?). You eventually will likely pick up the uber anyhow.

Yes! $100 for usb gen 2 and $70 for uber analog are bargains just for the versatility you'll have over the next year or so to do whatever you want input-wise.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #3,163 of 13,350
So, this seems a good a place as any... 

I've got JH13pros, grado sr225is and am soon to have akg k701s, he400s and ath-a900x (to audition, dunno if I'll keep them all, but found them all used in good condition sooo).  I mainly use a fiio x3 to listen to what I currently have and am curious if I need/should get a modi to go along with a magni if I'm using the x3 as my source, what with it's decent DAC.

Thanks for any advice.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #3,164 of 13,350
If you're powering IEMs as detailed as JH13... I'd argue go Asgard 2 and Bifrost. Or at least A2... the low gain and high gain versatility makes it a better "do all" amp for your collection of cans... so in the end, your HE 400s and your JH13s will thank you.

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #3,165 of 13,350
Quote:
If you're powering IEMs as detailed as JH13... I'd argue go Asgard 2 and Bifrost. Or at least A2... the low gain and high gain versatility makes it a better "do all" amp for your collection of cans... so in the end, your HE 400s and your JH13s will thank you.

Amusingly (to me at least), I was able to find cheaper used he400s, ath-a900xs *and* a used A2 which has only got me spending ~$30 more than I'd originally had planned, instead of the $150 I was debating.

So yeah, I'll be getting an Asgard 2 lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back