1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Owners Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hodgjy, Mar 15, 2012.
First

Back
200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209
211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220
Next

Last
  1. tuna47
    Always found schiit great at getting back to you real fast

2. IorekByrnison
    Way back when, when I first became interested in this but couldn't afford anything, I thought that a nice DAC was the domain of the moneyed. In this hobby as in any hobby, the more you spend, the more you experience diminishing returns. I always thought a good DAC was that expensive last 5% of min-maxing perfectionism, and cans came first.

Now that the Uberfrost has proven my newer understanding true, I had a crazy notion. In cleaning my room, I found an adapter that has a male 1/8th on one end, and RCA on the other...

I unplugged my old Logitech 5.1's front-2 cable from the onboard Realtek, and instead used my adapter to plug the Modi into the Logitech, and set it to 2.1 mode (routes front input to the other 3), effectively using the Modi as a stereo sound card for my computer speakers.

I thought the mediocre Logitechs were as much a bottleneck of muddiness as the Realtek, if anything... I mean, I liked the way it sounded well enough but it definitely had a lot of room for improvement, and since my entire 5.1 was $99 four years ago I figured that was the weakest link...

whoa

literally 10x better. the range extension, the clarity, the slam, i can't believe these speakers can do what they're doing. They're no hi-fi system but WOW. I knew onboard Realteks weren't the greatest but I never realized just how utterly it had been murdering everything that came out of my audio ports.

This is less praise of the Modi, and more of a "what the **** Realtek?".

3. ab initio
    Quote:

Why? Modi is an awesome USB DAC. I don't know of anything that gets better sound out of a computer for less than 3.5x the cost of Modi.

Cheers!

4. IorekByrnison
    Quote:
    well, there is that but i already knew that

what i didn't know is just how horrifyingly the realtek mangles the output

5. Llloyd
    Quote:

Maybe you mean super bass heavy, but both of those phones have really great bass.

6. RMiller
    Quote:

Since both of those new and revision 2 would cost around 600$, it's not much of a deal I think.

7. jexby
    Quote:

Have to say I agree.  a 5 year warranty can be pretty "valuable" just in case bad electronic luck strikes the Schiit.
    It's one reason I haven't jumped on any Lyr for sale in the forums at the $400 price point, for a mere additional $49 + shipping I can have 5yr product protection?
    yes please.

8. Hedonism
    All this DAC talk has me intrigued. What would I notice upgrading from an ODAC to a Gungnir? Using Mjolnir feeding HE-500s at the moment.

9. joebobbilly
    Quote:

My 2 cents: YES and YES.

Edit: Actual reasons... ODAC isn't fully balanced... Gungnir has an awesome clock system, output stage, etc. etc.

10. jmsaxon69
    Quote:

You'd see god.....

11. IorekByrnison
    I can read jargon about the effects all day, but, functionally from the perspective of a person who is listening to music... what does balanced do for the sound that unbalanced doesn't? I've never been entirely clear beyond "it's better/clearer" which can be said for basically every upgrade... and balanced seems complex, expensive, requires different cabling etc. so I gather there's a bit more to it than that. 

12. joebobbilly
    Quote:

Mmmm TBH, it'll be different results for different rigs, ears, preferences, cans, etc. You really just have to try it out yourself.

For my HD 650, it not only gave better resolution... but the biggest change was the soundstage. Made a big difference and now I feel a much better sense of being in the concert hall with the symphony playing in front of me.

13. TheChosen0ne
    Just curious when you guys listen to music with your Schiit products do you put the volume high or not too loud and not too low?

14. noobandroid
    Quote:
    in clock hands, i put it at 9 o clock + -

15. Tuco1965
    Quote:
    Depends on the output voltage from source.  I'm anywhere from 10:30 to 1:30 

First

Back
200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209
211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220
Next

Last