Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #5,657 of 13,350
Interesting finding, just received my 1/8 to 1/4 adapter from TTVJ that was missing on my PSB M4U1's that I have been using out straight out from my IPhone or with an E17 for portable use. OK HP's, for that use, fairly linear with a bit of a leaky treble, the opposite of my 650's. Well for Schiit's and grins hooked them up to my Valhalla, that combos not supposed to work, right? Wrong! Who knew these Star Wars props could actually put flesh on the bones, have realistic weight in the bass, and have a smoother (not smooth) treble?!? New appreciation for the original Valhalla, my Lyr 2 is supposed to be here tomorrow, can't wait! I am seeing a Valhalla 2 in my future as well.

That would be "peaky" treble, damn spell checker

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #5,660 of 13,350
Regarding the hum in my Valhalla 2, is it odd that the hum gets amplified ie gets louder when I turn the volume up? Does this finding suggest a ground loop problem or amp problem?

IMO, either your source or DAC is the site of the hum and your Valhalla is just amplifying it. Do you have all three plugged into a noise suppressing power source/strip?

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #5,662 of 13,350
The hum is there in both channels (seems louder on the right) even without the RCA cables connected, and gets louder as volume is increased. The hum is reduced significantly when RCA cables are plugged in.

Don't have a noise suppressing power strip - worth investing? Any recommendation?

Thats a grounding issue , your plugging something in and it is acting as a bit of a grounding cable.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #5,663 of 13,350
I have a Valhalla 2 in for review now, the result of a chat I had with Jason in LA in March. Apart from an Asgard at a meet years ago, I've never owned or even tried any Schiit products.

A quick run-through of the headphones I have on hand has the Vahalla working with even the LCD-X I have here, but it isn't a great match, though I'll probably give them another go once it has had some hours of use. The HD-800s on the other hand are much better, not surprisingly.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #5,664 of 13,350
  I have a Valhalla 2 in for review now, the result of a chat I had with Jason in LA in March. Apart from an Asgard at a meet years ago, I've never owned or even tried any Schiit products.

A quick run-through of the headphones I have on hand has the Vahalla working with even the LCD-X I have here, but it isn't a great match. The HD-800s on the other hand are much better, not surprisingly. I'm using a Geek Out as the DAC for the rig.

Amos,

how do you connect the Geek Out to the Valhalla (or any other amp) ?

Thanks

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #5,667 of 13,350

A quick run-through of the headphones I have on hand has the Vahalla working with even the LCD-X I have here, but it isn't a great match. The HD-800s on the other hand are much better, not surprisingly. I'm using a Geek Out as the DAC for the rig.

Amos,

how do you connect the Geek Out to the Valhalla (or any other amp) ?

Thanks

I use a mini-to-RCA cable. Years ago I bought an Audioquest Mini-3 for this kind of thing, but anything like it will do (eg: Monoprice), or you can get something simple or fancy from any of the headphone cable makers here.

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #5,669 of 13,350
I've made some really nice TRS split out cables with nylon multifilament sleeving they cost about $20 to make depending on connectors. Not sure how much shipping is to India but unless you need something super durable and with good aesthetics your generic cable is about the best bet.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #5,670 of 13,350

I use a mini-to-RCA cable. Years ago I bought an Audioquest Mini-3 for this kind of thing, but anything like it will do (eg: Monoprice), or you can get something simple or fancy from any of the headphone cable makers here.

Don't get me started on cables...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back