Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 17, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #5,686 of 13,350
Hey folks - quick question from a HD800/Essence STX owner. Am I able to run RCA out directly into a Valhalla 2? After the Tom's Hardware look at DACs, I have no interest in dropping hundreds on a duplicate DAC if my STX will be able to put out to the Valhalla. Thoughts?

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #5,688 of 13,350
Ah, I thought I could optical out into the Bitfrost, etc. I'd prefer to just directly RCA in so if it will work then I am looking forward to trying out the Valhalla 2!

vvv Great, appreciate the confirmation on that!

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #5,690 of 13,350
You could pick up a Biforst and connect it via the coaxial S/PDIF from the STX (I did that for a while on a business PC) or just stay with the STX as your source and use the RCA outputs to the headphone amp. It all depends on if you'd like to get into an outboard DAC or not. If you buy the (upgradeable) Bifrost with the USB input that would free you up to sell your STX. The STX is a good sounding card so it simply depends on which way you want to go. Best of luck!

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #5,691 of 13,350
This might be a question of placebo, but does the environment of the computer affect the d/a conversion on the STX?

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #5,692 of 13,350
  This might be a question of placebo, but does the environment of the computer affect the d/a conversion on the STX?

I don't think it should theoretically, maybe increased network traffic on a nearby wireless receiver might?

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #5,693 of 13,350
I used to have the STX card.
And i got rid of it when i got my Modi.
The modi for me is superior to the STX card.
Also the modi is not prone to interference inside the computer case.
Something that was a huge problem for me with my stx card.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #5,694 of 13,350

Does anyone have experience with the Musiland digital times? It is supposed to be purely digital out without any interference with the operating system, is this correct?

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #5,695 of 13,350
I don't know why you'd bother, no matter what you do the CPU will still have to process the file before it gets sent to the output device. Might as well use USB on a standalone in that case. Or use an internal sound card.

It's possible for sound quality to take a hit if your CPU gets loaded up or the PCI buss hits its bandwidth limit you'll get signal dropout and noise. This usually doesn't happen unless you set your buffer stupidly low.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #5,696 of 13,350
Mine is a lyr. No problem with my HE-400 (canare mini quad and alpha pads) but not the best with my W1000x. Too much noise with this one.
Does anyone know if there are (not expensive) tubes with very low noise or no noise at all ?
I wish my little woodie can be as good on my lyr as it is on the lake people G103 a friend lent me.
I know it is completely different but I want to keep my lyr and enjoy all my headphones at the same time. Is it possible ?

As you may have noticed I am french, so I need a seller who ships outside the US.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #5,697 of 13,350
Mine is a lyr. No problem with my HE-400 (canare mini quad and alpha pads) but not the best with my W1000x. Too much noise with this one.
Does anyone know if there are (not expensive) tubes with very low noise or no noise at all ?
I wish my little woodie can be as good on my lyr as it is on the lake people G103 a friend lent me.
I know it is completely different but I want to keep my lyr and enjoy all my headphones at the same time. Is it possible ?

As you may have noticed I am french, so I need a seller who ships outside the US.

My experience with mercedesman on Ebay has been excellent. I live in India. See of you can get the Amperex Bugle Boys tubes. They work very very well with the Lyr.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #5,698 of 13,350
My experience with mercedesman on Ebay has been excellent. I live in India. See of you can get the Amperex Bugle Boys tubes. They work very very well with the Lyr.

+1, installed a pair of Amprex, Bugle Boy, Hollands into my Lyr. 2 earlier this evening, an excellent pairing.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #5,700 of 13,350
New Member to the site and beginner to all of this. This community is the best thing I stumbled upon :D

Currently running Foobar, Xonar D2X, Coaxial to Bifrost Uber, Valhalla, DT880/600 ohms. I use them with the gel pads that got discontinued.

I love this setup but was hoping for opinions on whether my setup is actually correct and perhaps some suggestions for other headphones to horde as well. Don't really want to get a HD650 - I tried them and didn't care for them.

Fan of trance with female vocals. Love electronica as well as post-rock. Also a gamer at heart ^_^ so sound stage is very important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back