Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #5,672 of 13,350

Don't get me started on cables...

Don't get yourself started. 
tongue.gif

Anyhow, I wanted to ask what people's experiences were with tube rolling the Valhalla. I thought I might hit eBay or the tube shop in Taiwan (since it is near Fukuoka and cheap) to find some inexpensive tubes to roll, for fun.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #5,673 of 13,350

tongue.gif

Anyhow, I wanted to ask what people's experiences were with tube rolling the Valhalla. I thought I might hit eBay or the tube shop in Taiwan (since it is near Fukuoka and cheap) to find some inexpensive tubes to roll, for fun.

When I had the Valhalla 1 (rollable edition), I thought the stock Russian tubes were the best. I tried Sylvania 6DJ8 and Phillips JAN 6922, and the Russians had less grain and more bass.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #5,674 of 13,350

tongue.gif

This is the beginning of an addiction. First you'll start on inexpensive tubes and then you'll be looking for the good stuff. Back in the '70s I had a nice box full of audio tubes for guitar amps that I gave away to friends. Who would know they'd be in such demand today.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #5,675 of 13,350
I got my Asgard 2 this morning. After two hours' use it has become really hot that I think I can cook on the amp. Is this normal to other amps? I can't even adjust the volume because of the temperature.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #5,676 of 13,350
  I got my Asgard 2 this morning. After two hours' use it has become really hot that I think I can cook on the amp. Is this normal to other amps? I can't even adjust the volume because of the temperature.

Yes, this is normal. Welcome to Class A amplification.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #5,677 of 13,350

My Lyr 2 came this morning, same here, biased well into class A. My main system has a giant Krell Amp, same result, a great space heater during the Winter, a sauna during Summer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

This beast has a chokehold on the 650's low end, no muddy, diffuse bass here, mid's have a bit of tube magic, haven't listened to any jazz or classical yet, so the top ends a bit of a mystery yet. Now if I can have the patience to learn the amps basic sound before I start rolling tubes!!!

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #5,679 of 13,350
My Lyr 2 came this morning, same here, biased well into class A. My main system has a giant Krell Amp, same result, a great space heater during the Winter, a sauna during Summer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

This beast has a chokehold on the 650's low end, no muddy, diffuse bass here, mid's have a bit of tube magic, haven't listened to any jazz or classical yet, so the top ends a bit of a mystery yet. Now if I can have the patience to learn the amps basic sound before I start rolling tubes!!!

I like the sound on Asgard. I can hear more detail now with my HE400 than when I used K550 with a op amp Cmoy, but there seems to be some humming sometimes. I listen to CDs, so does the noise come from the source(recording problem)?

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #5,680 of 13,350
I like the sound on Asgard. I can hear more detail now with my HE400 than when I used K550 with a op amp Cmoy, but there seems to be some humming sometimes. I listen to CDs, so does the noise come from the source(recording problem)?

Probably a ground loop, you could plug it in with a two prong "cheater" or I am using a Sound Wedge that isolates and "traps" (so they say) noise. Though with everything plugged into my two "wedges" I have never had any hum issues. Monster and others make similar, less expensive products.

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #5,681 of 13,350
Probably a ground loop, you could plug it in with a two prong "cheater" or I am using a Sound Wedge that isolates and "traps" (so they say) noise. Though with everything plugged into my two "wedges" I have never had any hum issues. Monster and others make similar, less expensive products.

Thanks for your information man. I will try it later.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #5,683 of 13,350

hi;
just joined the rank i got a MAGNI from 
Billheiser before this I was useing the cmoy  amp .
very happy thus far oh though I can tell a bad recording more now .
Ad700 headohones love it .
next is the usb dac from them.

Welcome to the family!!!

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #5,684 of 13,350

tongue.gif

Amos, you can get some relatively inexpensive Russian tubes from Mr. Tom here on the forums. Generic brands but good sounding with the Valhalla. His 6N23Ps are a very good pairing with the original Valhalla i used to own. Did wonders to the soundstage and airiness. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #5,685 of 13,350
Don't get yourself started. :p

Have you browsed mercedesman's inventory on eBay? He has a great selection of matched pairs for decent prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back