Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #5,641 of 13,350

I don't get this at all. I thought NAFTA was supposed to eliminate all barriers to trade between the US, Canada, and Mexico.  Why is shipping so expensive and slow between our countries?

Because the shipping companies can...

NAFTA allows free-trade between our countries when products are made here (i.e. they won't charge 'duty').  It doesn't say how much the shipping companies can charge or how much they can charge to 'process' the customs fee.

It's robbery...

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #5,642 of 13,350
  I was all fired up until I calculated shipping to Canada.  Over $50 US!  I don't think so.  Damn, now I have to build one.  

That... just made me tear up a bit.

When I tidy up the place a touch, I might just save up and still do it even with shipping like that.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #5,643 of 13,350
When i rip from cds, there is the option whether i want it in flac or wav or aiff, etc, will there be any difference sonically if i choose wav instead of aiff? The Cd is a regular cd. To my ears, i dont really notice any difference in sound quality.

It is literally pointless to have WAV files unless you are producing/mixing/mastering music, it's like having a hard drive full of RAW photos.

Lossless formats are exactly that, compressed files in a way where no part of the file is thrown out. Are you using Exact Audio Copy?

Now, the point of storing lossless files isn't whether you can tell a difference between lossy or not, it's about archiving. Let's take the photo once again as an example. Take a high resolution photo and convert it to JPG 10 times. Go on, do it (it took 10 minutes to load for me lol)

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #5,644 of 13,350
It is literally pointless to have WAV files unless you are producing/mixing/mastering music, it's like having a hard drive full of RAW photos.

Lossless formats are exactly that, compressed files in a way where no part of the file is thrown out. Are you using Exact Audio Copy?

Now, the point of storing lossless files isn't whether you can tell a difference between lossy or not, it's about archiving. Let's take the photo once again as an example. Take a high resolution photo and convert it to JPG 10 times. Go on, do it (it took 10 minutes to load for me lol)

Ok so are you saying i should be contented with 320 kbps files in place of so called hi res wav or flac? To be frank, i find 320 to be quite sufficient,even 16/44.1

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #5,645 of 13,350
Ok so are you saying i should be contented with 320 kbps files in place of so called hi res wav or flac? To be frank, i find 320 to be quite sufficient,even 16/44.1

No I'm saying you should archive lossless files, and convert to Ogg Vorbis (better than mp3) for your portable player/phone

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #5,647 of 13,350
Received the Valhalla 2 today. Sounds good but I'm sure it will better when the tubes have settled. Unfortunately mine has a low volume hum noticeable only when I'm between music tracks and it's quiet. This must be the infamous tube amp hum.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #5,648 of 13,350
Received the Valhalla 2 today. Sounds good but I'm sure it will better when the tubes have settled. Unfortunately mine has a low volume hum noticeable only when I'm between music tracks and it's quiet. This must be the infamous tube amp hum.

Do you have a Valhalla 1 to compare it to? Interested to see if it is a worthy upgrade from SQ perspective or if it is just a functional upgrade.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #5,649 of 13,350

I'll bet that you shouldn't have this. Make sure that it isn't a ground loop. If it's the amp, contact Schiit's customer service, they are very responsive and aim to please.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #5,651 of 13,350
Yep, most probably a ground loop. You can test this with a 3-prong to 2-prong AC cord adapter temporarily, then use something like a HumX or ground loop isolator for long-term safety.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #5,652 of 13,350
I was able to eliminate a ground loop on my system (Asgard 2) by plugging my source (laptop) and the amp into the same powerstrip. Previously they were on outlets on different walls and I had a hum. My Modi DAC, of course, is just USB powered, but I also have a powered USB hub plugged into the same powerstrip.

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #5,653 of 13,350
  I was able to eliminate a ground loop on my system (Asgard 2) by plugging my source (laptop) and the amp into the same powerstrip. Previously they were on outlets on different walls and I had a hum. My Modi DAC, of course, is just USB powered, but I also have a powered USB hub plugged into the same powerstrip.

^^^ this. As long as I have all the components (source -> DAC -> amp) connected to the same powerstrip, I have no hum.
When either of them is connected to another outlet - I have the hum, hence I'm using an optical S/PDIF to connect my PC to the living room DAC, making a galvanic isolation between them.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #5,654 of 13,350
You shouldn't have a hum.  There is no infamous tube amp hum.

Tucco is correct you should not have hum, my Valhalla is silent, probably a ground loop problem.

On another note, my Lyr 2 gets here tomorrow!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back