Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 11, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #5,611 of 13,350
  To say that a sound doesn't exist because nobody hears it is like asserting there are no words in a book that isn't being read - philosophically valid perhaps but nonsensical in the real world.

That also reminds me the subjective audiophilia philisophy... "If I hear the difference - it is there, despite all objective measurements".

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #5,612 of 13,350
My statement was a joke take off from...if a tree falls in the forest, and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?

Relax people.  
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #5,613 of 13,350
Right. And that Zen koan is not to be taken too literally - even the rishis understood that sound would be generated by the crash even in the absence of a person. A koan is a sort of riddle to help one think in new ways.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #5,614 of 13,350
Although I'm not one to speak, enough of this Schiit. 
tongue.gif
 If Apple buys Schitt will it be recast as iSchiit? I think prices would go up.

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #5,615 of 13,350
  Although I'm not one to speak, enough of this Schiit. 
tongue.gif
 If Apple buys Schitt will it be recast as iSchiit? I think prices would go up.

I pray to every god ever invented that Schiit has more integrity than that

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #5,617 of 13,350
That also reminds me the subjective audiophilia philisophy... "If I hear the difference - it is there, despite all objective measurements".

Hey everyone,

I am sorry for taking this thread off topic. I was trying to be controversial and a little too philosophical. In my sarcastic way, I was just trying to say, if you don't hear it, does it exist. When something cannot be observed, how do we know it exists?

I base my thought statement in a loose interpretation of Schrödinger's cat thought theorem, where the cat is both alive and dead until observed. Upon closer reflection, I realize that my original answer was incorrect. Maybe I should have stated the answer as yes and no simultaneously until observed (heard or recorded by something) we don't know.

But enough of this Schiit. I am sorry for taking this thread off track.

I am new to Schiit and I have just purchased a Modi/Vali combo for my nightstand to power my Sennheiser HD 700. The sound is great. I am currently running it from my MacBook Air via Audirvana. I am quite pleased with the sound.

My question is twofold. Can you run this stack with an iPad via powered usb hub? And,do you have a suggestion on other software that may be a better solution than my current setup. Thanks for your Input and patience.

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #5,618 of 13,350
That's awesome.
Although I'm not one to speak, enough of this Schiit. :p  If Apple buys Schitt will it be recast as iSchiit? I think prices would go up.

It would definitely be better than if Google bought it. How would the Google marketing team present Google Schiit. :D

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #5,619 of 13,350
Hey everyone,

I am sorry for taking this thread off topic. I was trying to be controversial and a little too philosophical. In my sarcastic way, I was just trying to say, if you don't hear it, does it exist. When something cannot be observed, how do we know it exists?

I base my thought statement in a loose interpretation of Schrödinger's cat thought theorem, where the cat is both alive and dead until observed. Upon closer reflection, I realize that my original answer was incorrect. Maybe I should have stated the answer as yes and no simultaneously until observed (heard or recorded by something) we don't know.

But enough of this Schiit. I am sorry for taking this thread off track.

I am new to Schiit and I have just purchased a Modi/Vali combo for my nightstand to power my Sennheiser HD 700. The sound is great. I am currently running it from my MacBook Air via Audirvana. I am quite pleased with the sound.

My question is twofold. Can you run this stack with an iPad via powered usb hub? And,do you have a suggestion on other software that may be a better solution than my current setup. Thanks for your Input and patience.

If you have a recent iPad running ios 7 you can use the Lightning CCK (Camera Connection Kit) to a powered hub and then to the Modi. I run an iPod Touch 5G the same way to an Uber USB Bifrost and then Asgar 2, what a dream.
happy_face1.gif

If you have the iPod with a 30 pin connector there's a CCK for that as well.
Software, I'd recommend Neutron MP, which is now available for ios. This has been around on Android for ages and is highly regarded. It has a parametric EQ that works like a charm. I've used it on Android for a very long time and now with the iPod Touch.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #5,621 of 13,350
If you have a recent iPad running ios 7 you can use the Lightning CCK (Camera Connection Kit) to a powered hub and then to the Modi. I run an iPod Touch 5G the same way to an Uber USB Bifrost and then Asgar 2, what a dream.:happy_face1:
If you have the iPod with a 30 pin connector there's a CCK for that as well.
Software, I'd recommend Neutron MP, which is now available for ios. This has been around on Android for ages and is highly regarded. It has a parametric EQ that works like a charm. I've used it on Android for a very long time and now with the iPod Touch.

Thanks for the response. I already have the cck and usb for my old iphone ans new iPad mini. I am currently using this on my portable C5D setup.

Does the type of powered usb hub matter? Do you have a recommendation? What kind are you using. Again thanks StanD.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #5,623 of 13,350
Well I am the new owner of a Schiit Bifrost first gen with USB. I have a Asus Xonar STX and I have connected the Schiit to it via SPDIF. The cable doesn't "click" in like it should. The same cable connects fine to my 2 other spdif connections. 

Also given the STX has a DAC inbuilt, I presume I don't want it processed twice, so do I need to switch the STX into a specific mode please?

In the Control Panel I have it set to 2 Channel , PCM192, Analog Out is set to "headphone" and SPDIF is ticked and set to PCM.

There is an option to make it Dolby headphone which i don't think I want for music right?

Also changing the sample rate doesn't seem to change how the sound works, does this mean the current file I am playing isn't suitable?

Sorry for the newbie and confused questions :) 

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #5,624 of 13,350
  Well I am the new owner of a Schiit Bifrost first gen with USB. I have a Asus Xonar STX and I have connected the Schiit to it via SPDIF. The cable doesn't "click" in like it should. The same cable connects fine to my 2 other spdif connections. 

Also given the STX has a DAC inbuilt, I presume I don't want it processed twice, so do I need to switch the STX into a specific mode please?

In the Control Panel I have it set to 2 Channel , PCM192, Analog Out is set to "headphone" and SPDIF is ticked and set to PCM.

There is an option to make it Dolby headphone which i don't think I want for music right?

Also changing the sample rate doesn't seem to change how the sound works, does this mean the current file I am playing isn't suitable?

Sorry for the newbie and confused questions :) 

Toslink cables don't always click into place. It's ok because it doesn't need a solid connection like metal cables do. As long as the receiver can see the cable lens, it will properly receive the signal.

You only want to send PCM to the Bifrost.  Any other format will get rejected by it.

Set the sample rate to the native rate of the file.  Upsampling is a debated topic, but it does have the potential to alter the quality of the sound if it is done poorly.

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #5,625 of 13,350

Toslink cables don't always click into place. It's ok because it doesn't need a solid connection like metal cables do. As long as the receiver can see the cable lens, it will properly receive the signal.

You only want to send PCM to the Bifrost.  Any other format will get rejected by it.

Set the sample rate to the native rate of the file.  Upsampling is a debated topic, but it does have the potential to alter the quality of the sound if it is done poorly.

Thanks. How do I know what the native rate of the file is ? I have a bunch of iTunes purchases, a Bunch of Imported CD's and some FLACS I ripped from CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back