Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 12, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #5,628 of 13,350
When i rip from cds, there is the option whether i want it in flac or wav or aiff, etc, will there be any difference sonically if i choose wav instead of aiff? The Cd is a regular cd. To my ears, i dont really notice any difference in sound quality.

Those are all lossless formats, so they will all sound the same as long as the decoder is properly written. Choose the format that is most convenient to you. For example, you want to load them on to a portable player. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #5,629 of 13,350
Those are all lossless formats, so they will all sound the same as long as the decoder is properly written. Choose the format that is most convenient to you. For example, you want to load them on to a portable player. 

Does foobar decode it correctly? Its pretty cool one can rip lossless from a regular CD. Honestly, i cant tell the difference in sound quality from the cd itself .

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #5,630 of 13,350
Does foobar decode it correctly? Its pretty cool one can rip lossless from a regular CD. Honestly, i cant tell the difference in sound quality from the cd itself .

There is no difference, FLAC is using a lossless mathematical algorithm (like ZIP for archives).

Foobar2000 is as accurate as any player can get. Just make sure you are:

1) Using WASAPI or ASIO output module for an exclusive, bit-perfect playback.
The device output properties like sample rate will auto-adjust to a source material, so Windows setting wouldn't matter.
2) Having your volume controls at 100% (both Windows and Foobar2000).

With iTunes and other software (with no WASAPI/ASIO available), you'd have to match the output properties to a file, to avoid Windows' sample rate conversions.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #5,631 of 13,350

Foobar is as good as they come. You'll be golden.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #5,633 of 13,350
It would definitely be better than if Google bought it. How would the Google marketing team present Google Schiit. :D

Schiiiiit, if Google bought up Schiit, they would take it all and lock it away in Google X... to include Jason and Mike. We would never see Jason or Mike or any kind of Schiit until it was too late. Next thing you know, its Judgement Day and out comes millions of cybernetic humanoid robots powered by Schiit.

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #5,636 of 13,350
Jun 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #5,638 of 13,350
Thanks for the response. I already have the cck and usb for my old iphone ans new iPad mini. I am currently using this on my portable C5D setup.

Does the type of powered usb hub matter? Do you have a recommendation? What kind are you using. Again thanks StanD.

I used the one that was recommended by Schitt. It has a power switch that disconnects power from your DAC, etc without draining from your source device, great if you're using a smartphone or iPod, etc. Link below.
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B004OBZ088

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #5,639 of 13,350
  I was all fired up until I calculated shipping to Canada.  Over $50 US!  I don't think so.  Damn, now I have to build one.  

I don't get this at all. I thought NAFTA was supposed to eliminate all barriers to trade between the US, Canada, and Mexico.  Why is shipping so expensive and slow between our countries?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back