Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 18, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #5,702 of 13,350
  New Member to the site and beginner to all of this. This community is the best thing I stumbled upon :D

Currently running Foobar, Xonar D2X, Coaxial to Bifrost Uber, Valhalla, DT880/600 ohms. I use them with the gel pads that got discontinued.

I love this setup but was hoping for opinions on whether my setup is actually correct and perhaps some suggestions for other headphones to horde as well. Don't really want to get a HD650 - I tried them and didn't care for them.

Fan of trance with female vocals. Love electronica as well as post-rock. Also a gamer at heart ^_^ so sound stage is very important to me.

You might want to give a listen to the HD600's. You might like the HE-500's, but on a different amp due to impedance and power requirements.

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #5,703 of 13,350
  I love this setup but was hoping for opinions on whether my setup is actually correct and perhaps some suggestions for other headphones to horde as well. Don't really want to get a HD650 - I tried them and didn't care for them.

Don't see anything wrong with your setup, really.

And welcome to the club!

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #5,704 of 13,350
Yes they use the same tubes

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #5,705 of 13,350
Am enjoying myself a lot with my modest Schiit stack - Vali/Modi driving a pair of HD800 on stock cables. Wondering if I should get the Magni to drive my LCD-XC (just to complete the mini-Schiit stack). Anyone have impressions on the Magni/XC combo?

Vali/XC sounds decent but a bit thin - clearly Vali is insufficient to drive the XC well but commendable effort nonetheless.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #5,706 of 13,350
  Am enjoying myself a lot with my modest Schiit stack - Vali/Modi driving a pair of HD800 on stock cables. Wondering if I should get the Magni to drive my LCD-XC (just to complete the mini-Schiit stack). Anyone have impressions on the Magni/XC combo?

Vali/XC sounds decent but a bit thin - clearly Vali is insufficient to drive the XC well but commendable effort nonetheless.

Why do you want to get the Magni to drive the XC? It is able to drive planar though.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #5,707 of 13,350

No experience with the Magni and XC but the Magni certainly drives my planars (Alpha Dogs) quite decently for a little amp :)

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #5,711 of 13,350
  Hopefully the sound with the XC will be full bodied..not sure if 1.2W is sufficient for the XC.

I drove my HE-6 with the magni(max) to a decent volume and by this, I think it is sufficient for the XC. But the XC will benefit from a much more powerful amp. Using with the magni will have a very thin bass. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #5,712 of 13,350
Well life threw a curve ball and I'm back into the hobby sooner than I thought I'd be (what a bummer, lol).  I left off with HD650's, Gen 1 Lyr, and Gen 1 Bifrost, and I'll be returning a notch or two higher with the LCD-X, Mjolnir, and Gungnir.  Hopefully they'll pair well with the LCD-X.  I've seen several other Head-Fiers with the same setup, so it must not suck too bad.
smile.gif

Proud to own some Schiit again!

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #5,713 of 13,350
  I drove my HE-6 with the magni(max) to a decent volume and by this, I think it is sufficient for the XC. But the XC will benefit from a much more powerful amp. Using with the magni will have a very thin bass. 

Precisely my concern. Despite the XC's relatively high sensitivity, they should ideally be paired with a more powerful amp. But at $99, do you think it's worth a try?

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #5,714 of 13,350
  Well life threw a curve ball and I'm back into the hobby sooner than I thought I'd be (what a bummer, lol).  I left off with HD650's, Gen 1 Lyr, and Gen 1 Bifrost, and I'll be returning a notch or two higher with the LCD-X, Mjolnir, and Gungnir.  Hopefully they'll pair well with the LCD-X.  I've seen several other Head-Fiers with the same setup, so it must not suck too bad.
smile.gif

Proud to own some Schiit again!

Did you order the Mjolnir & Gungnir from Schiit directly ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back