Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 26, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #8,926 of 13,350
  I use Y cables all the time to drive two amps from one DAC. I then use an A/B switch to connect my headphones to both amps for comparing amps. If there's any attenuation it is not perceptible. There is no loss in SQ as most DACs or line out devices have a reasonably low output impedance and line inputs have a much higher input impedance as to make the load on the DAC negligible, even if two amps are Y connected.

i saw where you posted earlier concerning the a/b switch, good idea, i have only one amp right now, the LD mkiii, but i'm sure that'll change at some point, i like having a solid state amp in addition to a tube amp, i may get another magni 2u, or an a2

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #8,927 of 13,350
  i saw where you posted earlier concerning the a/b switch, good idea, i have only one amp right now, the LD mkiii, but i'm sure that'll change at some point, i like having a solid state amp in addition to a tube amp, i may get another magni 2u, or an a2

I'm driving five amps from two DACs using y-cables and two Schiit SYS. Absolutely no degradation in SQ or S/N. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #8,928 of 13,350

The Magni 2U is fantastic deal, they didn't just stick a couple of opamps in a plastic box and call it a day. This amp has some real quality power.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #8,929 of 13,350
  The Magni 2U is fantastic deal, they didn't just stick a couple of opamps in a plastic box and call it a day. This amp has some real quality power.

couldn't agree more

i've had a couple of "big gun" ss amps, and i'd pick the magni 2u rather than go back to one of them, 
being primarily a tube guy, i'd rather save some money there and spend more on a tube amp

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #8,930 of 13,350
  couldn't agree more

i've had a couple of "big gun" ss amps, and i'd pick the magni 2u rather than go back to one of them, 
being primarily a tube guy, i'd rather save some money there and spend more on a tube amp

A good pure tube amp is going to run a bit more money, especially if you want to drive low impedance cans that need some measure of power. At the end of the day, using a good tube amp, if you compare using an A/B switch, you might not hear much if any difference. Have fun with the journey.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #8,931 of 13,350
  A good pure tube amp is going to run a bit more money, especially if you want to drive low impedance cans that need some measure of power. At the end of the day, using a good tube amp, if you compare using an A/B switch, you might not hear much if any difference. Have fun with the journey.

i agree, the bryston bha-1 had was outstanding, and as good as if not better than any tube amp i've had

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #8,932 of 13,350
Hey guys,

I have just upgraded my stuff a bit - main current config.: Bifrost (with both upgrades) + Valhalla 2 + Senn. HD 600.

As for the source side (VAIO notebook), is it better to keep a media player volume at 100% and regulate volume using Valhalla 2 knob or is it just doesn't matter?

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #8,933 of 13,350
  Hey guys,

I have just upgraded my stuff a bit - main current config.: Bifrost (with both upgrades) + Valhalla 2 + Senn. HD 600.

As for the source side (VAIO notebook), is it better to keep a media player volume at 100% and regulate volume using Valhalla 2 knob or is it just doesn't matter?

Thanks.

Keep your source maxed and control with the Valhalla.  

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #8,936 of 13,350
Expected to join this unite tommorrow. My fulla is on the way.

Really interested in how it will sound. I have recently bought AD2000X, need a good DAC/AMP for entry level use replacing my laptop outpu.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #8,937 of 13,350
And now for something a bit different:

Ok all, it is time for me to address the issues of Windoze vs Mac and a major overlooked solution for some very common problems. At Schiit, we have a significant sample size of users of both OSes.

The statistics: Windows users are about 60% of our users and they represent over 95% of our customer service bandwidth. Customer service costs money; this is reflected in the prices we charge. Therefore Schiit Mac users are subsidizing Schiit Windoze users by a significant margin. Below are some reasons different people may choose either OS:

Why Mac:

You have just completed your male to female sex change, and you want a socially acceptable computer within your new community.

You view a computer as an accessory rather than a tool.

You are a trust fund child of limited intellect but with unlimited computer budget.

You think that since they are so often used in movies, they must be the right brand.

You work professionally in the audio industry and need absolute reliability.

Why PC:

You have a small business and therefore properly have a PC to run Microsoft Office. You are way too cheap to get a good audio machine.

You like to dress up only in your underwear, funny hats, and capes in order to game.

You are an engineer used to working with buggy development software with childlike UIs. You do not mind the challenge of risking malware by downloading and installing drivers of questionable compatibility with your system.

You are unsophisticated and do not realize that no one in the audio business utilizes Windoze for any purpose except to develop drivers for other unsophisticated Windoze users.

You like working with fiddly, troublesome files and formats, i.e. DSD.

You actually like dealing with customer service.

You like to live on the edge with a dangerous, insecure OS and enjoy slow and unreliable servers.

You like to impress your friends and flex your geek muscles by making unreliable drivers work with operating systems designed with audio as an afterthought.

You are so worried what people may think of you that you could never entertain the notion of getting a Mac.

Take heart, there is a solution! You can become a Linux user. Get a copy of the latest Stable Ubuntu on a thumb drive, or DVD if you are a traditionalist. Boot up the Drive, read a tutorial or two, and try it out without installation. Voila! No drivers, reliable operation, no need for a rubber when you get on the net. All the software is free! By and large, it just works. Fart around with it and if you like it, install so it dual boots on your PC. There are at least 10 popular music players which have widely varied feature sets.

A caveat: Schiit customer service is not a Linux tutorial service. If you are a mensch, give it a go. It is far better mojo than draining customer service with the same old stupid Windoze issues. Although I cannot personally endorse certain claims, many users report better sound as well.

Stop fiddling with random unreproducible problems. Enjoy your music! Have fun! This is a hobby after all.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 27, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #8,939 of 13,350
  You have just completed your male to female sex change..

Mac owner here, since the '80s. The best I can do is speak in a high-pitched voice, sorry. 
wink_face.gif

True story: I used to run a Mac-related IRC channel, among the membership of which were a number of friends who indeed had had a male to female sex change. They owned Macs before that though.  

Re: Ubuntu: If the install screws up, how do you recover it? 
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #8,940 of 13,350

Mac owner here, since the '80s. The best I can do is speak in a high-pitched voice, sorry. 
wink_face.gif

True story: I used to run a Mac-related IRC channel, among the membership of which were a number of friends who indeed had had a male to female sex change. They owned Macs before that though.  

Re: Ubuntu: If the install screws up, how do you recover it? 
tongue.gif

Go to the ER.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back