Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 27, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #8,941 of 13,350
Go to the ER.

I think I ate that dish at the Japanese restaurant last night :D

MAC user since 2006. Came from a nightmare Alien machine. I had to threaten to write Michael Dell with the 7 month saga and they finally issued a full refund. Had my MACpro for 2 days and bought the stock right away as I knew MAC OSX and the quality of the machine is good.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #8,942 of 13,350
Mac makes perfect sense...unless you can build your own machine...or if you want to play games...or if you want to run any productivity software :wink:

I can definitely see the appeal of OSX/iMac/Macbook, but I play PC games, which pretty much rules out Mac and Linux entirely, and I like having control over my hardware. Linux might work out better for me in the long run, but it's only free if your time has no value, and I'd rather just set up Windows once and not have to manage workarounds.

By the way, OSX and Linux had more security vulnerabilities in 2014 than any recent version of Windows. IE is the most vulneralbe application, but if you're using IE in 2014, you have bigger problems.

/tech ranting

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #8,943 of 13,350
Hilarious post.  I fall into the second category, though I was a *NIX admin some years ago.  It's fun to mess around with Linux, and your points are well-made.  Sadly, running Ceton InfiniTV 4s for TV viewing, esp. copy-protected channels, requires Windows Media Center.  I just did some research about running the Cetons on Linux, and while it will work for most things, it won't for those channels:

"Linux does not support the copy protection that may be assigned to channels by a cable operator. Channels which are Copy Freely (CCI 0x00) will be viewable under Linux. Channels that are flagged Copy Once (CCI 0x02), Copy No More (CCI 0x01) or Copy Never (CCI 0x03) will not be viewable under Linux. Some cable operators, such as Verizon FiOS and Comcast mark most channels Copy Freely."

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4#Copy_Protection

As a Cramcast customer, I can attest to the fact that almost everything is Copy-Free.  That makes it easy to record something on one of three PCs (I'm sharing a couple tuners over a 5 GHz wireless network; works like a champ) and copy it to any other PC to watch it.

So while I'd love to convert the PC in the Lab to Linux, assuming it could still access the shared tuners, I'm tethered to WMC.  There are ways to exact revenge, but I can say no more
wink.gif
  Regardless, I'm enjoying the listening experience via my Stack O' Schiit

beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #8,948 of 13,350
osx is unix based is what he is trying to say.

or you could install an ubuntu based distro like Xubunu or Mint.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #8,951 of 13,350
  Hilarious post.  I fall into the second category, though I was a *NIX admin some years ago.  It's fun to mess around with Linux, and your points are well-made.  Sadly, running Ceton InfiniTV 4s for TV viewing, esp. copy-protected channels, requires Windows Media Center.  I just did some research about running the Cetons on Linux, and while it will work for most things, it won't for those channels:

"Linux does not support the copy protection that may be assigned to channels by a cable operator. Channels which are Copy Freely (CCI 0x00) will be viewable under Linux. Channels that are flagged Copy Once (CCI 0x02), Copy No More (CCI 0x01) or Copy Never (CCI 0x03) will not be viewable under Linux. Some cable operators, such as Verizon FiOS and Comcast mark most channels Copy Freely."

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4#Copy_Protection

As a Cramcast customer, I can attest to the fact that almost everything is Copy-Free.  That makes it easy to record something on one of three PCs (I'm sharing a couple tuners over a 5 GHz wireless network; works like a champ) and copy it to any other PC to watch it.

So while I'd love to convert the PC in the Lab to Linux, assuming it could still access the shared tuners, I'm tethered to WMC.  There are ways to exact revenge, but I can say no more
wink.gif
  Regardless, I'm enjoying the listening experience via my Stack O' Schiit

beerchug.gif

Nice. What are those wire wrapped rubber things around your tubes? Antivibration addon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back