Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 21, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #8,912 of 13,350
Hi all.
I posted a few weeks ago about receiving my HD600 and a modi/vali combo. High end seems too tame for my 60 year old ears. It was recommended I try some brighter headphones. I did. Tried a pair of Beyer and a pair of v-moda. They were brighter. Problem was I couldn't wear them for any length of time. So,I know it's admirable to make an amp neutral,but is there an amp or amp/dac combo that would be brighter than the Schiit combo?
Thanks for any input.

Howard

You could look at the Beyer T90. They are supposed to be bright and most people seem to like them with the warmness of a tube. In the US you can get some good deals from eBay stores and the like.

Like others have said, tube amps are typically warmer than solid state, but maybe you could go for the latter even with a bright headphone.

The NFB-11 (I'm not trying to push it on you, I have plenty of interest) is bright. I had a modded ATH-AD2000 for about a week and the combination was too bright for me, but I'm young enough to be your grandson. With the HD700 it's fine.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #8,913 of 13,350
I can afford either the Hd 700 or the divorce attorney,not both
redface.gif

Are you asking for opinion here?

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #8,914 of 13,350
For some reason I thought the SYS might be able to do this, but I'm really not sure. Is there something from Schiit, or anywhere for cheap that would let me switch the RCA input from the Modi 2 Uber to the Vali/Valhalla 2 without actually unplugging the RCA cables every time?

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #8,915 of 13,350
For some reason I thought the SYS might be able to do this, but I'm really not sure. Is there something from Schiit, or anywhere for cheap that would let me switch the RCA input from the Modi 2 Uber to the Vali/Valhalla 2 without actually unplugging the RCA cables every time?

Thanks!

A RCA Y adapter would work. I use this one from audioquest with good results:

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #8,916 of 13,350
A RCA Y adapter would work. I use this one from audioquest with good results:

they also make a flexible one, i've used both, both are excellant 
th

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #8,917 of 13,350
they also make a flexible one, i've used both, both are excellant 
th

The flexible one may be a better option if you stack the Vali on top of the modi. On the gold plated adapter, the RCA's from the splitter end up blocking the RCA input of the amp on top (Magni/Vali). You can turn the adapter so the RCA's are horizontal, but then the cables get in the way of the inputs on the Modi a bit. With the flexible adapter there wouldn't be these issues.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #8,918 of 13,350
Thanks for the information! Those gold ones look great, but might make stacking...interesting. Will probably go with the long ones.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #8,919 of 13,350

Thanks!

From the Schiit FAQ page on the SYS:http://schiit.com/products/sys
Hey, can you use this in reverse to switch 1 input to two outputs?
Yes, with the volume all the way up. But why not just use RCA Y-cables or splitters, like these?

or these http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042904

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #8,920 of 13,350
The flexible one may be a better option if you stack the Vali on top of the modi. On the gold plated adapter, the RCA's from the splitter end up blocking the RCA input of the amp on top (Magni/Vali). You can turn the adapter so the RCA's are horizontal, but then the cables get in the way of the inputs on the Modi a bit. With the flexible adapter there wouldn't be these issues.

Thanks for the information! Those gold ones look great, but might make stacking...interesting. Will probably go with the long ones.

that's how i ended up with the flexible ones, the hard splitters were awkward when stacking schiit

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #8,921 of 13,350

I have 2 new-in-the-box of the gold ones by Audioquest.  Got them for a preamp that I ended up not buying, so I don't use them.  They're $13 on Amazon, make me a lower offer if interested and I'll send them to you.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #8,922 of 13,350
  I have 2 new-in-the-box of the gold ones by Audioquest.  Got them for a preamp that I ended up not buying, so I don't use them.  They're $13 on Amazon, make me a lower offer if interested and I'll send them to you.

If you mean the long cable ones, maybe. Though is there any issue with using a Sys, cost aside? Would it degrade the signal at all? Not the best option due to being more expensive than an adapter, just curious.

With the cable method, would both amps work at the same time from the same source? Obviously they would play the same thing at the same time. I guess I'm just worried about any signal degradation or volume loss or something.

I also found this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042904&p_id=7186&seq=1&format=2

That might possibly fit behind the Modi. Might have to rotate them a touch. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #8,924 of 13,350
  If you mean the long cable ones, maybe. Though is there any issue with using a Sys, cost aside? Would it degrade the signal at all? Not the best option due to being more expensive than an adapter, just curious.

With the cable method, would both amps work at the same time from the same source? Obviously they would play the same thing at the same time. I guess I'm just worried about any signal degradation or volume loss or something.

I also found this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042904&p_id=7186&seq=1&format=2

That might possibly fit behind the Modi. Might have to rotate them a touch. 

i used both splitters with the modi, and modi 2u, allowing me to use two amps at the same time, one tube, one solid state, i couldn't detect any detrimental effect's at all, jason said that there may be some loss of volume, but if there was, i'd say it was VERY minimal 

i started to get the mono price adapters, if space is tight behind your schiit, they could be a better solution, the flexible audioquest splitters are 6" and kinda stiff 

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #8,925 of 13,350
  i used both splitters with the modi, and modi 2u, allowing me to use two amps at the same time, one tube, one solid state, i couldn't detect any detrimental effect's at all, jason said that there may be some loss of volume, but if there was, i'd say it was VERY minimal 

i started to get the mono price adapters, if space is tight behind your schiit, they could be a better solution, the flexible audioquest splitters are 6" and kinda stiff 

I use Y cables all the time to drive two amps from one DAC. I then use an A/B switch to connect my headphones to both amps for comparing amps. If there's any attenuation it is not perceptible. There is no loss in SQ as most DACs or line out devices have a reasonably low output impedance and line inputs have a much higher input impedance as to make the load on the DAC negligible, even if two amps are Y connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back