Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 20, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #8,896 of 13,350
If I could find something as comfortable as the hd600 i would.  I forgot, I also tried the Philips x1. Liked the sound,but just couldn't wear them for very long. Like the hd 600 for everything but the high end compared to the x1.

Thanks for any input,
Howard

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #8,897 of 13,350
If I could find something as comfortable as the hd600 i would.  I forgot, I also tried the Philips x1. Liked the sound,but just couldn't wear them for very long. Like the hd 600 for everything but the high end compared to the x1.

Thanks for any input,
Howard

try beyer dt990 & hifiman he400i. both are extremely comfy & similar sound quality as the hd600. treble quality is nice on both tho ive never direct compared em to the hd600.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #8,898 of 13,350

Thanks for any input,
Howard

I find the HD 700 to be my most comfortable cans.  I do not think they are bright, but there are those that do.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #8,900 of 13,350
  Hi all.
I posted a few weeks ago about receiving my HD600 and a modi/vali combo. High end seems too tame for my 60 year old ears. It was recommended I try some brighter headphones. I did. Tried a pair of Beyer and a pair of v-moda. They were brighter. Problem was I couldn't wear them for any length of time. So,I know it's admirable to make an amp neutral,but is there an amp or amp/dac combo that would be brighter than the Schiit combo?
Thanks for any input.

Howard

Did you try using some EQ? That's what hearing some aids do. An audiologist can probably measure your hearing and tell you what to do as far as EQ goes. An amp cannot do this for you.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #8,901 of 13,350
  Hi all.
I posted a few weeks ago about receiving my HD600 and a modi/vali combo. High end seems too tame for my 60 year old ears. It was recommended I try some brighter headphones. I did. Tried a pair of Beyer and a pair of v-moda. They were brighter. Problem was I couldn't wear them for any length of time. So,I know it's admirable to make an amp neutral,but is there an amp or amp/dac combo that would be brighter than the Schiit combo?
Thanks for any input.

Howard

A pair of HD700s might be your only solution.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #8,902 of 13,350
  A pair of HD700s might be your only solution.

But that might not track his hearing's curve. We don't want to beat the daylight out of his wallet. Do we? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #8,903 of 13,350
  But that might not track his hearing's curve. We don't want to beat the daylight out of his wallet. Do we? 
biggrin.gif

You caught me. LOL

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #8,905 of 13,350
  I can afford either the Hd 700 or the divorce attorney,not both
redface.gif

the beyer dt880 is brighter than the hd600, the dt880 pro has tighter clamping force, the dt880 premium has lighter clamping force. The velour pad combined with lighter clamping force is pretty nice. Maybe the one you tried was the pro version?

By the way, my new dt880 premium was also not comfortable the first week or so. I guess after a while the pad conforms to my ear and head shape, now it's my second most comfy headphones.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #8,907 of 13,350
Ah, to be single again.
Or, keep the wife and try EQ.

i find that u can improve the sound quality of wife via the purse mod. using expensive leather or slapping a brand name on the purse really decreases harshes and silibance. the expensive shoe mod also works... or just the straight up money mod

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #8,908 of 13,350
i find that u can improve the sound quality of wife via the purse mod. using expensive leather or slapping a brand name on the purse really decreases harshes and silibance. the expensive shoe mod also works... or just the straight up money mod

Once it takes jewelry, there will be nothing left for audio goodies.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #8,910 of 13,350
  Or just go with the standard: "Oh that? I've had [insert gear] forever." 
wink.gif

Yes, a uniform look and feel is very helpful.  All camera lenses look the same to my wife (okay, there are black and white lenses).   The Schiit upgrade philosophy works too.  

The drawback is that you can be quizzed about stuff you've had for years.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back