Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 20, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #5,341 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually in his email he suggest me replace all of D669/B649 and K170 after I show him the inside photo of zero.
About D669/B649: He think because the D669/B649 has be stopped production for more than 10 years already so most likely the zero is using fake one which cost 1 RMB and the real one is difficult to find and cost 15 times more. That's why I am think about upgrade D669/B649 at my next step.

Interesting......what would be a good quality modern replacement for these ? In light of that info I'd like to replace these as well. Might as well if good ones can had for a little bit of money. Shouldn't cost more than 5-10 dollars US I would think.

Thanks for this info BTW...great inside info to say the least...

Peete.

Aug 20, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #5,342 of 9,388
Kingwa emailed with tracking number for my HDAMS...shipped via DHL...doesn't show up yet on the tracking page...not surprised by that
smily_headphones1.gif

They are on the way
smily_headphones1.gif

Alex I found a cross reference for the regulators (mje344 and mje350 at this link http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/home. ) but I'm not sure they are exactly right. Stuff is all new to me and it's like walking through a mind field at night wearing a blind fold
biggrin.gif

Have a look and see if I got lucky.

The original reference was for 2SB649 = mje350 and 2SD669 = mje344 found on DIY Audio linky.. diyAudio Forums Archive - Equiv. Parts: 2SD669, 2SB649

Peete.

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #5,343 of 9,388
It looks fine.
Now I try to read some book about Electricity circle - last time I touched it was in university - LOL.
Mr He's suggestion is I should find all of replacement and try them one by one to find out the sound I like.

It is time for crossing hand now:
If I go ahead to do this find/replace/test project I have some concern:
1. cost. It will need a lot of pouches.
2. Solder job - I do not think too much solder job on the board is good idea.
3. What I can get at last - does it worth? I mean if the headphone amp design is bad ....

So before anything started I am doing some research:

Take a look at this one:
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1
DAC-IBM4.GIF

It called IBM - and they are used in the headphone amp
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1
HD3.jpg

I am not sure whether it will works yet. I just want to make sure which way is better now.

Anyway it will be done on my 2nd Zero. The zero I have now will be done when earth/sun in and move to my office.

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #5,346 of 9,388
hey everyone I was just wondering but how much of an improvement has this upgraded Zero been compared to a stock Zero. Also with all the money spent on a zero couldn't you use that money to start off with something better instead of getting something cheaper and upgrading it or does this upgraded zero just gets drastically better or is the Price/performance still better than anything in this price range?

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #5,347 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey everyone I was just wondering but how much of an improvement has this upgraded Zero been compared to a stock Zero. Also with all the money spent on a zero couldn't you use that money to start off with something better instead of getting something cheaper and upgrading it or does this upgraded zero just gets drastically better or is the Price/performance still better than anything in this price range?

One major factor here, for me at least, is just how easy it is to upgrade the ZERO. If you can handle a screwdriver, but not a soldering iron, you can still tweak the ZERO greatly and at reasonable cost.

To be honest, I can't think of too many other DACs at the price point (stock ZERO + HDAM) that matches it without spending silly money. I'm a big fan of the Monica DAC and have recently modded one, which has required the delicate use of a soldering iron, to the point that it sounds fantastic. The final cost of the Monica plus mods is way above that of the tweaked ZERO.

Given that the ZERO also gives you have a semi-decent headphone amp, that can also be easily tweaked, I think it's a winner!

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #5,349 of 9,388
Quote:

Well I will be using the Amp for both speakers and headphone so are you saying its not really worth using as a headphone amp?

Nope. It's an OK headphone amp and you can roll the opamps to improve it.

FWIW I have 2 tweaked ZEROs, one is used to feed a tube amplifier and the other to drive my HD650 headphones.

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #5,350 of 9,388
should be interesting seeing how to get 3 just to fit inside the zero. if possible

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #5,352 of 9,388
Gee with all this HDAMs talk, I am tempted ...

Quick questions ... if I swap the DAC OPAMP with the OPA-Earth in the Zero, can I still close the case ? What is the optimal length in terms of extension cable for the OPA-Earth, the standard extension cable from Audio-GD is 5cm is that long enough ? With the extension cable, it looks like it is soldered on the HDAM, so if I buy the OPA-Sun and get the free OPA-Earth, I will have to pay for 2 extension cables, correct ?

Thanks

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #5,353 of 9,388
My Earth and Sun arrived today. I've gone for Sun to start with and easily there's an improvement in sound. Lately I've felt that the Zero is a little cloudy in its sound and this upgrade seems to have fairly removed that.

I'm waiting on another pair of cans then I'll do a comparison with my Apogee Duet. The upgraded Zero was fairly close to the Duet in SQ, but had the warmer sound with the 627's in place.

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #5,354 of 9,388
Quote:

Hey I have hd650's too. How does the Zero sound with the hd650's?

The Zero configured with OPA627AU's and LT1364's in the head amp, sounds great with HD-650's. If you decide to get the HDAM for the DAC section, you will see big improvements both in DAC output to your speaker rig, and the internal headphone amp. Those LT1364's in the headphone amp love a good clean signal coming from the DAC's HDAM, and the final output to your HD-650's will sound much better than you would expect, for such a small change.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #5,355 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedSmith123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gee with all this HDAMs talk, I am tempted ...

Quick questions ... if I swap the DAC OPAMP with the OPA-Earth in the Zero, can I still close the case ? What is the optimal length in terms of extension cable for the OPA-Earth, the standard extension cable from Audio-GD is 5cm is that long enough ? With the extension cable, it looks like it is soldered on the HDAM, so if I buy the OPA-Sun and get the free OPA-Earth, I will have to pay for 2 extension cables, correct ?

Thanks

I would recommend paying the little bit extra for the longer extension cables. It is the method with the least worries to it. You are right, if you put the HDAM directly into the socket, you can't close the lid.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back