Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 20, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #5,372 of 9,388
My "Sun"and "Earth" HDAMs arrived today. I swapped out my 627s in the DAC for the Sun module...wasn't expecting too much change in SQ because frankly, in the past, mods have usually resulted in subtle changes at best. I've been playing some very familiar music for the last two hours and the Sun is very definitely a nice improvement over the 627s. Not subtle at all....color me a believer....

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #5,373 of 9,388
So far the HDAM in the Zero's DAC section is batting a 1000........not a single disappointed customer......I'm glad you guys are enjoying the discrete stages, makes me feel like a proud older brother or Uncle for some silly reason
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #5,374 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, that's the same exact thing my brother said, but I've already soldered everything in and I'm way too lazy to desolder : P. Anyhow, I've always wanted a golden volume knob ; ).

You don't have to desolder. Use a jigsaw with a fine cut for metal blade and go slow. It'll cut through that shaft like butter. The larger gold knob is cool though...your call E
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #5,375 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Penchuum cant resist the temptation to do comparisons with other DAC. I was at first reserved with the ZERO DAC and OPA Earth/Sun.

For the Price that you pay for, I bet no other DAC can sound that great. I also heard PP has some mod to make the ZERO/Earth go one mile further.

I started with the speaker system, I dont even want to go back to OPA 627 for the moment.

I hope Gavin can give us some review on the buffer.

Hi ccschua, The buffer 3 is on order and he's building it now , said he'll need a 100 hours with test etc before sending .. So looks like it gets a decent burn in too ..

Message from Kingwa

Because Buffer3 is a new products, we need some time to make and running 100 hours,
I beg you can give a few days to us,
can we send it Aug 25.?
Thanks
Kingwa

So can't wait to try it out , appearently practically all cheap to medium priced Cd , DVD players ,
DAC's output a high output impedance 200 + ohms . Does anyone know what the Zero output's from the RCA's ? The buffer drops it down to 22 ohms and suppose to be much better for the preamp . I'm going to put this buffer in between the Zero and preamp .. This could also be good between the Zero and the Little Dot i've read heaps about in the forum . Just do a google search Burson buffer and you'll get a list of interesting reading ..

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Gavin ...

P.S. Yes I do make my own beer at home , been brewing since 1991 ..
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #5,376 of 9,388
Got this e-mail from the guys at audio-gd, and English is definitely not their strong suit.

Quote:

Dual OPA-SUN price is USD33, extension lead,
Postage is USD23.5 by express.
Paypal's handling charge is 4%,

SUM=58.76
Thanks.

Paid the $58.76, and I assume that they do come with the extension lead? The wording makes me kind of doubtful. Thanks!

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #5,377 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got this e-mail from the guys at audio-gd, and English is definitely not their strong suit.

Paid the $58.76, and I assume that they do come with the extension lead? The wording makes me kind of doubtful. Thanks!

Sure do...the cost without the extension is $30

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #5,380 of 9,388
Nor me. And I'm supposed to be out tomorrow test-driving a Stax rig! Oh... whatever will I do...

wink.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #5,381 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point. Thanks.

Yeah fear not - my response was very very similar and though I didn't hear anything after the confirmation, I got mine today, less than 1 week after my order. About to go drop the Sun in...

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #5,382 of 9,388
I'm battin' O at the mail box too......supposed to get power cables today, maybe the HDAMs as well....I dunno.....tracking pages are useless sometimes..

Peete.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #5,383 of 9,388
Ok I got home swaped out my 627's with the OPA-EARTH. My first impressions are just simply WOW
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
that made a difference. Everything sounds better , better soundstage better highs better mids etc. Well gota go for now, time to listen
icon10.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #5,384 of 9,388
Has anyone had a chance to try the Earth directly against the Sun module?

~Phewl.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #5,385 of 9,388
Well poo... I'm bummed.

I don't know if I just have bad luck or am just REALLY bad with my hands or what (maybe both) but well...

I went to put the Sun unit in and noticed one of the wires on the lead (on the Sun end) was not connected. It then dawned on me how fragile the whole lead seemed to be. So I figured oh well I still have the earth, so using the sun as practice I set up a little stage for it to sit on and everything. Grabbed the Earth and went to connect it, being as gentile as possible - and one of the wires popped off the connector end this time. I didn't even touch it! So anyway, the space is VERY tight and the lead is just barely long enough to fit - it seems it will need some pull to be able to work - which means the soldering needs to be stronger. How did you guys get these things in there. And, more importantly, can I fix this, and how difficult is it? I've never soldered anything.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back