Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 19, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #3,661 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by P_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently emailed Lawrence about this and he confirmed that this one:
PCLINK USB-SPDIF FOR AUDIO 24BIT , UDA1321 / CS8405A - eBay (item 230262707764 end time Jun-23-08 09:46:43 PDT)
is 24 bit.

Also I was wondering if I need dual LT1364 on a pcb or if its just one for the headphone output, since it seems that we need dual opa627's on the DAC

For the dac you need one dual opamp: the opa627 being a single one you need two of them on an adapter.
For the headamp you need two dual opamps, one for each channel: the lt1364 is already a dual opamp so you only need two of them.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #3,662 of 9,388
And just for the record, I have no problem whatsoever with the lt1358 anymore like I said in an earlier post. I have it in the Dac with the lt1364 and i enjoy the combo very much. I don't know why I disliked it at first, maybe because it was different than opa2604 or lt1469...
And I didn't try it because of andrea's recommendation but because of those:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tks to those who introduce LT 1358 for DAC section, a big THANK YOU. The LT 1358 beats LM 4562 hands down.

Initial LT 1358 review is awesome. Compared to LM 4562, LT 1358 is very silky smooth, mellow and warm. LT 1358 is more polish at the mid and high edges, while the LM 4562 is too revealing and sharp. LT1358 low freq attack and punch is controlled and not the sort to shake the glass.

This LT 1358 makes my listening so soothing, that I almost doze off.

Next on my list review list 2x LT 1028 on browndog and DY2000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: About the LT1358:

I have used it for a while today and have to say that I really enjoy it's rather natural midrange. The voices sound very clear and natural, moreso than OPA627 (if my pair is legit, but I can't see how they could not, as I find them to have every feature they should have sonically). The OPA627 is more laid back and with a little bit bigger soundstage.

My perfect op-amp would probably be:
The transparancy of LME49720 (LT4562)
The natural/neutral midrange of LT1358/OPA627 but with the clarity of LME49720
The soundstage of OPA627
The bass of OPA627
A middleground of OPA627 and LME49720 treble.

I really like everything about the LME49720 EXCEPT... the rather small soundstage and the slightly "dark purple/dark blue" coloration. Every time I use it I first get very excited about the transparancy, but soon get very annoyed by the rather dark coloration, similar to the DT880 but without the warm midrange. No headphone I've tried with it yet have "clicked" with it. I did find synergy between Zero dac (LME49720) and LD MKIII (Mullard EF92 CV131).

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #3,663 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And just for the record, I have no problem whatsoever with the lt1358 anymore like I said in an earlier post. I have it in the Dac with the lt1364 and i enjoy the combo very much. I don't know why I disliked it at first, maybe because it was different than opa2604 or lt1469...
And I didn't try it because of andrea's recommendation but because of those:

No problem at all, and I hope you understood the "pointed" bit was for the sake of our Zero thread "readership", not you.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for being tolerant of me, I was pretty upset at the time.
redface.gif

There was a discussion at one point, where the LT1364's in the amp, seemed to work well with any unity gain stable, full frequency and dynamic Opamp in the DAC section. I still don't know if that was totally proven or not, but it did sound logical at the time. Now with it working well in combo with the LT1358 in the DAC, maybe the theory holds a little more water.

How long did it take for your LT1358 to "mature"? I just found mine (lost in with the other static bags), so I was thinking about testing the DAC output with my separate amps, to see how well it does. If it "matures" quickly, I might get it done right away.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks!

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #3,664 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by koppite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple questions:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, is there anyplace to buy this other than ebay that ships quickly?

Would I be able to hook this to my macbook for some good improvement over my bithead?

Would it connect to the macbook through USB, like an external sound card? Or does it still use my Macbook sound card?

If you have a MacBook like me then use your optical out. Your options for optical out I believe are the following (in order of price and in this case SQ)

1. Use optical cable provided with a cheap mini to toslink adapter ($2)

2. A glass optical cable with same adapter ($15 + $2 = $17)

3. A Van Den Hul Optocoupler MKII Toslink to miniplug ($100(?))

I have the VDH and have no complaints but it is also not the cheapest option!

The MB optical out sound into external DACs has been compared to CD players costing $5000 with no or little difference. It is definitely a great source for high end audio (using Apple Lossless or aiff of course)!

James

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #3,665 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem at all, and I hope you understood the "pointed" bit was for the sake of our Zero thread "readership", not you.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for being tolerant of me, I was pretty upset at the time.
redface.gif

There was a discussion at one point, where the LT1364's in the amp, seemed to work well with any unity gain stable, full frequency and dynamic Opamp in the DAC section. I still don't know if that was totally proven or not, but it did sound logical at the time. Now with it working well in combo with the LT1358 in the DAC, maybe the theory holds a little more water.

How long did it take for your LT1358 to "mature"? I just found mine (lost in with the other static bags), so I was thinking about testing the DAC output with my separate amps, to see how well it does. If it "matures" quickly, I might get it done right away.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks!

Don't worry I completely understand what you did
wink.gif
Concerning the lt1358, it was really a weird experience for me.
At first playing some rock it sounded completely muddy, congested and undetailed, even compared to the stock opamp.
I re-opened the box to put the 2604 and then the 1469 in the dac to compare it to my first impression of 1358 and found that there was indeed something not right with lt1358.
So I put lt1358 back in the dac (1364 always being in the headamp) and let the unit run for two hours.
When I came back to listen the "compressed" sound wasn't there anymore but I really can't bring myself to believe that a mere two hours of burn-in could have changed it like that. Maybe I didn't put it quite right in the dac the first time and that made it behave badly (is that even possible???).
Well now I have the lt1358+lt1364 combo in the zero and like ccschua said I find the sound to be really smooth while still being detailed, it's really pleasant.
Penchum I (and maybe some others) would really appreciate it if you could make a comparison with opa627 in the dac, I'm really on the fence of buying opa627s so a comparison would be really welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #3,666 of 9,388
Quote:

For the dac you need one dual opamp: the opa627 being a single one you need two of them on an adapter.
For the headamp you need two dual opamps, one for each channel: the lt1364 is already a dual opamp so you only need two of them.

Are there two sockets for the headamp section or do I need an adapter?

edit: nvm I looked at the pics there are two sockets.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #3,667 of 9,388
I now have two extra OPA627aus. I was using them in the amp section (they fit absolutely fine because they're roughly the same size as a normal opamp) and now the 1364s have replaced them being slightly better all round. (still have the essential 627 in the DAC)

I would like them to go to trusted people in this thread first before going to the for sale forum!

PM with any offers. UK/EU head-fiers would benefit most I believe because of proximity.

James

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #3,668 of 9,388
Hi all:

My Zero just arrived today, and I must say that even right out of the box this thing sounds really good. I had been driving my k701s with a mid 90's Spectral pro audio AD/DA converter, which I thought sounded really good (at least when compared to anything else I had around, Creek OBH-11, Tascam DA-P1, etc). The Zero really makes the AKGs sing. I can't wait to see how the sound develops as it burns in. Thanks Head-Fi!

-Noah

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #3,669 of 9,388
Quote:

Don't worry I completely understand what you did
wink.gif
Concerning the lt1358, it was really a weird experience for me.
At first playing some rock it sounded completely muddy, congested and undetailed, even compared to the stock opamp.
I re-opened the box to put the 2604 and then the 1469 in the dac to compare it to my first impression of 1358 and found that there was indeed something not right with lt1358.
So I put lt1358 back in the dac (1364 always being in the headamp) and let the unit run for two hours.
When I came back to listen the "compressed" sound wasn't there anymore but I really can't bring myself to believe that a mere two hours of burn-in could have changed it like that. Maybe I didn't put it quite right in the dac the first time and that made it behave badly (is that even possible???).
Well now I have the lt1358+lt1364 combo in the zero and like ccschua said I find the sound to be really smooth while still being detailed, it's really pleasant.
Penchum I (and maybe some others) would really appreciate it if you could make a comparison with opa627 in the dac, I'm really on the fence of buying opa627s so a comparison would be really welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Opamps can be strange sometimes. I've had them sound really bad, and only a few hours later, sound much better. Others, can take 40-50 hours, like the OPA637's I just tested. I thought they'd never get done!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think a comparison is do-able, but I'll have to "mature" the LT1358 first, say maybe 50 hours? or so. I too will keep the LT1364's in the amp for this. If I start now, I could have it done during the weekend, "knock on wood".
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll go drop in that LT1358 right now, and get it cooking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #3,670 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now have two extra OPA627aus. I was using them in the amp section (they fit absolutely fine because they're roughly the same size as a normal opamp) and now the 1364s have replaced them being slightly better all round. (still have the essential 627 in the DAC)

I would like them to go to trusted people in this thread first before going to the for sale forum!

PM with any offers. UK/EU head-fiers would benefit most I believe because of proximity.

James

Good for you! Nothing better than keeping them in the "family".
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #3,671 of 9,388
My first impression with LT 1358 in the DAC is also sorts of funny. I compare the LT1358 with the Marantz and found LT 1358 being warm, wider soundstage (the vocal comes out to you at wider angle) but at the expense of transparency. Mid is very much emphasized and smooth. I can hear the singer lips 'twisting' more clearly. But at the mid way of burning, I found funny tones of Aaron Neville as if he aged. sorts of like brown voice.

If you find fatigue in listening to music, give LT 1358 a try.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #3,672 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first impression with LT 1358 in the DAC is also sorts of funny. I compare the LT1358 with the Marantz and found LT 1358 being warm, wider soundstage (the vocal comes out to you at wider angle) but at the expense of transparency. Mid is very much emphasized and smooth. I can hear the singer lips 'twisting' more clearly. But at the mid way of burning, I found funny tones of Aaron Neville as if he aged. sorts of like brown voice.

If you find fatigue in listening to music, give LT 1358 a try.

Hummm i wouldn't want that...For now I like the lt1358 but they've been running for less than 10 hours, they're smooth enough as it is I wouldn't want them to become muddy. We'll see what happens I guess.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #3,673 of 9,388
with the hd600s for lt1358s (compared to opa627), there is a little too much midbass and a slight lack of lowbass, especially noticeable because of the midbass emphasis. soundstage is also considerably smaller than opa627. these are my 2 biggest complaints with it. Although it is less tiring than the opa627 and has a nicer/smoother midrange, i find myself going back to the opa627s. opa627s just sound alot less "compressed" and more natural/3D with the bigger soundstage and greater sound spectrum in both directions.

if i didnt have the opa627s the lt1358s would probably be the first choice in the dac though.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #3,674 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with the hd600s for lt1358s (compared to opa627), there is a little too much midbass and a slight lack of lowbass, especially noticeable because of the midbass emphasis. soundstage is also considerably smaller than opa627. these are my 2 biggest complaints with it. Although it is less tiring than the opa627 and has a nicer/smoother midrange, i find myself going back to the opa627s. opa627s just sound alot less "compressed" and more natural/3D with the bigger soundstage and greater sound spectrum in both directions.

if i didnt have the opa627s the lt1358s would probably be the first choice in the dac though.

I only tried opa2604, lt1358 and lt1469 in the dac so I can't talk about opa627.

I don't find lt1358 compressed anymore, I don't know what happened the first time but right now I find them dynamic enough, detailed (more than the 2 others) while being smooth and warm.
With opa2604 and lt1469 after just a few minutes my ears feel "pressured", it's as if I'm not listening to people singing but screaming (I'm probably going too far but you get the idea
tongue.gif
).

LT1358, while maybe not the best "technically" (and I don't even know about that, stat sheets and I don't speak the same language), seems to be effortless in the way it sounds, really musical.
But that's just me and my ears and I could be totally wrong "objectively"
biggrin.gif

And of course you have to take into account the fact that I haven't listened to a lot of opamps (an impressive total of 3 for the dac), and opa627 could very well be way better.

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #3,675 of 9,388
Will the Zero be able to function as a source for small desktop stereo speakers? Is this feasible at all?

Also, how hard is it to open up the case, replace the amp opamps and return everything to working order? I understand there's no soldering involved, but I'm hesitant to do something like this to a new piece of hardware.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back