Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 18, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #3,646 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again for your wonderful insight.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess you ordered the dual OPA627 from Brown Dog together with the adapter? May I know if it is this one here?

Two Pre-Mounted OPA627AU Op-amps on 020302 Adapter (p/n OPA627AU-020302S) - OPA627-020302S

If so, it seems kinda pricey. How does the LT1364 compare to the above for the DAC section?

Actually, it's not that I particularly like my headphone in my pre amp, it sounds really fine, but that's all I had before I build my speaker to headphone adapter. I think the adapter is a bit better than my pre amp. I think the sound is really fine, but I keep wondering if a dedicated amp (read LD Mk V) is better sounding.
biggrin.gif

When LT1364 is used on the amplifier section, how does it compare to LD Mk I or LD Mk V. Is the difference subtle or obvious? Especially in the sound stage and instrument separation aspect.

I have a question regarding the pre amp feature. When the right most button is pressed and there is no headphone present, does it's output toggle between full blast and volume knob regulated? If so I'd have to somehow secure that button so that I don't accidentally blast my head off.
biggrin.gif

Ok, ummm, Lawrence is selling the OPA627AU's pre-soldered on an adapter. Drop him an email and check his price: lawrencechanbig@msn.com I think his price is better.

The LT1364's in the headphone amp are a big improvement over the stock Opamps. Very worth doing.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Zero's amp vs MKV issue has been addressed before, but to summarize, the MKV is a much more refined headphone amp with better dynamics and purity of amplified signal. It should, it costs $300 compared to the Zero's whole unit cost of $139.
smily_headphones1.gif

On the pre-amp issue, the button toggles it between line-level output and variable (volume knob) output. The majority use the line-level output and control their volume on the amp, or receiver, which is safe.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #3,647 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should add it in the first post Penchum? The little kid just doesn't seem to go away.

Good idea! DONE!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #3,648 of 9,388
Penchum, as someone with both the LD MKIVse and MKV, do you feel the OPA627 is still the best choice (383 pages later
smily_headphones1.gif
) when using the Zero as a preamp for the LD amps?

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #3,649 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MinotaurUK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penchum, as someone with both the LD MKIVse and MKV, do you feel the OPA627 is still the best choice (383 pages later
smily_headphones1.gif
) when using the Zero as a preamp for the LD amps?

Yes. The only hard variable might be my use of Senn HD-600 and HD-650, but I like the end results with both phones. The DAC output using the OPA627's has worked well with everything I have tried so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #3,650 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. The only hard variable might be my use of Senn HD-600 and HD-650

Given I have exactly the same cans, I'll take your word for it
smily_headphones1.gif
Many thanks.

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #3,651 of 9,388
I got my Zero today.
I plugged everything in and turned my MK III on.
Keyed up some random songs in random genres.
After 10 minutes I had to fight off fits of laughter.
It makes my $100 soundcard sound like a cassette tape. My mouth was open for over 10 minutes.
I was a skeptic on just how much standalone DACs could improve SQ but no longer.

The headamp section is no slouch either. My K-501s struggle for a bit more power but the HD580s are powered more than competently.

I have never experienced such a stark improvement in sound quality period. It was even more impressive than my first experience with audiophile headphones after spending a lifetime listening to cheap Sony and radio shack rebadges.

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #3,652 of 9,388
Well, I just bought a w5000, a zero, opa627, LT1364. I was wondering if it was a good decision to get the zero and the opamps for the w5000 or if there was something better I could get for the same price.
I was also wondering if the usb link thats thrown in here:
ZERO NEW 24BIT 192KHZ DAC +HEAD PHONE AMP +USB PC link - eBay (item 140242467246 end time Jun-18-08 09:34:16 PDT)
is 24bit/96khz or if the resolution is actually determined by the Zero and not the usb link.

I also have an audio advantage micro and I was wondering if that would work well with the Zero.
Thanks

Jun 18, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #3,653 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Zero today.
I plugged everything in and turned my MK III on.
Keyed up some random songs in random genres.
After 10 minutes I had to fight off fits of laughter.
It makes my $100 soundcard sound like a cassette tape. My mouth was open for over 10 minutes.
I was a skeptic on just how much standalone DACs could improve SQ but no longer.

The headamp section is no slouch either. My K-501s struggle for a bit more power but the HD580s are powered more than competently.

I have never experienced such a stark improvement in sound quality period. It was even more impressive than my first experience with audiophile headphones after spending a lifetime listening to cheap Sony and radio shack rebadges.

My experience was very similar. I wondered how much better an external DAC could sound and now I’m sure I will never buy another sound card again. My X-Fi has gone unused since I got the Zero. For the price I think it’s a worthwhile upgrade for any serious PC user. My MS1s never really improved with amping but they sound a whole lot better with the Zero. You should also try hooking up any PC speakers you have. There could be a large improvement there as well. My A2s sound way better on the Zero than the X-Fi.

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #3,654 of 9,388
I see most people are using fullsize headphones with the zero, has anyone tried it with etymotic ER-4S/P? I am intending to buy both as soon as i can sell my xbox 360 to someone who'll find more use for it than i do. They will be used for gaming and music.

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #3,655 of 9,388
Couple questions:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, is there anyplace to buy this other than ebay that ships quickly?

Would I be able to hook this to my macbook for some good improvement over my bithead?

Would it connect to the macbook through USB, like an external sound card? Or does it still use my Macbook sound card?

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #3,656 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by koppite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple questions:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, is there anyplace to buy this other than ebay that ships quickly?

Would I be able to hook this to my macbook for some good improvement over my bithead?

Would it connect to the macbook through USB, like an external sound card? Or does it still use my Macbook sound card?

You can email Lawrence directly and see if you can buy it off him, his email was mentioned some where in this thread.

So this is how it works:
macbook => usb to spdif => Zero
So your sound card is totally bypassed.

But I have a couple of questions myself:

Is the Zero amp + opa627 + LT1364 a good match with the Audio Technica ATH-W5000?

and

Is the "Digital PCLink" usb to spdif any good and is it 24bit/96khz?

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #3,657 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by koppite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple questions:

Most reliable seller is Lawrence (eBay name biglawhk, I guess). You can buy directly from him (no eBay), throwing an email at lawrencechanbig@msn.com .

No, it doesn't have an USB port, but you can plug your source into it through optical or coaxial inputs. If your MacBook has coaxial or optical outputs, you'll be fine (sorry, haven't had the chance of using a MacBook). Oh, and there are some USB to SPDIF adapters that may work if your MacBook doesn't have the outputs.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #3,658 of 9,388
Also wondering about the 24 v. 16 bits. Isn't USB audio 16 bits anyways, so wouldn't it not matter that it's a 24 bit amp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can email Lawrence directly and see if you can buy it off him, his email was mentioned some where in this thread.

So this is how it works:
macbook => usb to spdif => Zero
So your sound card is totally bypassed.

But I have a couple of questions myself:

Is the Zero amp + opa627 + LT1364 a good match with the Audio Technica ATH-W5000?

and

Is the "Digital PCLink" usb to spdif any good and is it 24bit/96khz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back