Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 18, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #3,631 of 9,388
Yesterday I swapped the 5532 in the amp with the lt1364 while keeping the opa2604 in the DAC and I must say that the difference was immediately noticeable: better clarity, dynamics...well everything was better so the lt1364 were there to stay.
And then today I put the lt1358. Someone said that the lt1358 didn't have a wow factor but didn't do anything wrong, that's my opinion too. There isn't anything it really does GREAT but it does everything really good while sounding smooth and natural.
So for now I'll keep this combo: lt1358+lt1364.

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #3,632 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll love the Zero/MKIII/HD650 combination. Tube rolling,opamp rolling, Brazilian Gov rolling in D's import tax monies
biggrin.gif

Still shaking my head over the duty thing. Wow.

Peete.

LoL....
Thank you for your support Peete..... it's nice to know that were not alone on this
biggrin.gif

Everytime I come back to the list a urge will of spending money takes over me....
Well..... I'm pretty sure that will be it..... Zero(HDAM)/MKIII/HD650
on a time line....:
HD650 (August or setember)
HDAM + LT1364 (October to December)
MKIII (December to february - depending of when my family choose to go to Disney).

Now let's hope my engineering course is helping me on setting events date.
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #3,633 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do I!
mad.gif
60% is too much, and this money isn't even put to good use in this country...

Yeahhh!! Mad Brazilians... rise!
mad.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #3,634 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this helps some. It is a tender topic for some, and that is ok. The Zero doesn't cost much and neither do the Opamps, so experimenting with "Computer as a source" becomes do-able for a wider audience. I consider it well worth your time, if you like to "check things out".
smily_headphones1.gif

This is actually important for me and the reason I chose the zero -- I want my MacBook Pro to be my sole music source. Other than that, I might use my Mac Mini if I had a regular hi-fi set-up in the same manner. That I can tweak away gives me a bit of inexpensive enjoyment too.

On another note, I got my Van Den Hul Optocoupler today in the mail. Going through my usual listening collection on my MacBook Pro, there's clearly better detail and separation, with aspects of various songs appearing that I hadn't heard before - very clearly so because I wasn't expecting that much and got quite a few surprises. Quite a bit of this is because, I'm sure, there's now no crappy $2 toslink -> mini adaptor in the chain any longer, with its visibly dodgy lens. Now the Optocoupler is overkill admittedly, but I got it as payment for a job I'm doing, so for me it was worth it.

I'm going to ponder the idea of transplanting the Zero's components into a bigger box for the HDAM module in the future, though it may be beyond the lengths I wish to go to. As things stand, the SQ I have now has reached the territory that some music I'm starting to feel throughout my body in an unusually good way.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #3,635 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I swapped the 5532 in the amp with the lt1364 while keeping the opa2604 in the DAC and I must say that the difference was immediately noticeable: better clarity, dynamics...well everything was better so the lt1364 were there to stay.
And then today I put the lt1358. Someone said that the lt1358 didn't have a wow factor but didn't do anything wrong, that's my opinion too. There isn't anything it really does GREAT but it does everything really good while sounding smooth and natural.
So for now I'll keep this combo: lt1358+lt1364.

I had tested the 1358 mainly with "vocal" music (a singer and not a lot of things going on behind).
And it's true that I found the sound to be smooth and really not aggressive.
But I just listened to some rock with it and thought that something wasn't quite right. It just sounded congested on complex moments and the sound stage and details weren't all that great either, the separation between instruments wasn't clear enough, and that was compared to 2604.
Thinking that my impressions must have been wrong I put the 2604 back in place and everything I thought was in fact true
confused.gif
I find the 2604 to have better sound stage, details, and to handle complex music better than 1358 (yeah surprising I know).
It's disappointing because I found the 1358 to be less tiring than 2604 (I know almost everybody seems to think 2604 to be dull and warm but I don't, I find them to be quite bright in fact).
I also tested lt1469 in dac+1364 and it sounds fairly good, not as aggressive as 2604 while handling most kinds of music well.
Maybe I should let the 1358 burn in more but I didn't even need to do that for 1469 and 1364.

edit: i decided to give lt1358 a second chance by letting them burn in and I'll draw conclusions later

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #3,636 of 9,388
guys, Is this OPA 2107 suitable for the DAC section. found the OPA 2107 replaces OPA 2604 in some dac.

Instead of LT 1358, why not give a try to LT 1057. Very analytical DAC with tube signature.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #3,637 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is actually important for me and the reason I chose the zero -- I want my MacBook Pro to be my sole music source. Other than that, I might use my Mac Mini if I had a regular hi-fi set-up in the same manner. That I can tweak away gives me a bit of inexpensive enjoyment too.

On another note, I got my Van Den Hul Optocoupler today in the mail. Going through my usual listening collection on my MacBook Pro, there's clearly better detail and separation, with aspects of various songs appearing that I hadn't heard before - very clearly so because I wasn't expecting that much and got quite a few surprises. Quite a bit of this is because, I'm sure, there's now no crappy $2 toslink -> mini adaptor in the chain any longer, with its visibly dodgy lens. Now the Optocoupler is overkill admittedly, but I got it as payment for a job I'm doing, so for me it was worth it.

I'm going to ponder the idea of transplanting the Zero's components into a bigger box for the HDAM module in the future, though it may be beyond the lengths I wish to go to. As things stand, the SQ I have now has reached the territory that some music I'm starting to feel throughout my body in an unusually good way.

x2 on the VDH Optocoupler!

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #3,639 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Archimago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, got my OPA627's installed with LT1364 for headphone amp today as expected (yay, mail from HK)...

Very nice sound - "rounder" and smoother than the LT1469/LT1364 combo I had running, somewhat better detail as well thru my ATH-M50's. Now can I detect poorly encoded 192kbps MP3's easier :).

One quick question - I closed the case already before checking the temperature of the OPA627's after extended music playing and too lazy to open the box again... No issue with hot OPA627's right??? Still got a few heatsinks to put to service if needed!

Not enough heat to worry about. You should be good to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #3,640 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is actually a very good sign. It means satisfaction and enjoyment are meeting in the middle, and further upgrade itis will be past the point where the law of diminishing returns resides. It is very keen of you to notice this too. Many miss the signs and continue tossing money at audio upgrades.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #3,641 of 9,388
Quote:

I had tested the 1358 mainly with "vocal" music (a singer and not a lot of things going on behind).
But I just listened to some rock with it and thought that something wasn't quite right. It just sounded congested on complex moments and the sound stage and details weren't all that great either, the separation between instruments wasn't clear enough, and that was compared to 2604.
Thinking that my impressions must have been wrong I put the 2604 back in place and everything I thought was in fact true
confused.gif
I find the 2604 to have better sound stage, details, and to handle complex music better than 1358 (yeah surprising I know).
It's disappointing because I found the 1358 to be less tiring than 2604 (I know almost everybody seems to think 2604 to be dull and warm but I don't, I find them to be quite bright in fact).
I also tested lt1469 in dac+1364 and it sounds fairly good, not as aggressive as 2604 while handling most kinds of music well.
Maybe I should let the 1358 burn in more but I didn't even need to do that for 1469 and 1364.

edit: i decided to give lt1358 a second chance by letting them burn in and I'll draw conclusions later

agree about the lt1358s.

as for the 2604, i wouldnt say it sounds "bright", but slightly "harsh" or "thin".

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #3,642 of 9,388
Quote:

confused.gif

(Jazz9, the following is pointed and doesn't mean anyone is upset at you or anything like it at all. It is about a truly sad situation, that you and many others have fallen prey too.)

Actually, this is not very surprising at all. Remember where that LT1358 recommendation came from.....ANDREA. The person behind tons of aliases, who doesn't have a working Zero and never did. There is no one less qualified to make recommendations for the Zero. As PP and myself and others have said to everyone here, if you see a new poster with very few posts, giving out recommendations on Opamps or DACs or anything, IGNORE THEM. They are ANDREA EVERYTIME!

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #3,643 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agree about the lt1358s.

as for the 2604, i wouldnt say it sounds "bright", but slightly "harsh" or "thin".

Yes "harsh" is definitely the right word. Not excessively but harsh nonetheless (to me anyway).
And concerning the lt1358, I've been listening to it the last two hours and I like it in the end, it is smoother than the other opamps I have so I'll stick with it for now.
I'll get the opa627au from lawrence eventually to see if it could be even better than lt1358.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #3,644 of 9,388
Maybe you should add it in the first post Penchum? The little kid just doesn't seem to go away.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #3,645 of 9,388
Quote:

The OPA627's are very much like the sound you described that you are looking for, for the DAC output to another headphone amp/receiver. What is nice, is also changing the built-in headphone amps two Opamps to the LT1364's, which will give you a nice sounding SS headphone amp as well. Many folks with separate tube headphone amps have done this, and now they can plug into whichever one they want, or are in the mood for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again for your wonderful insight.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess you ordered the dual OPA627 from Brown Dog together with the adapter? May I know if it is this one here?

Two Pre-Mounted OPA627AU Op-amps on 020302 Adapter (p/n OPA627AU-020302S) - OPA627-020302S

If so, it seems kinda pricey. How does the LT1364 compare to the above for the DAC section?

Quote:

On a side note, because I know you like to use the headphone jack on a receiver, I also tested the Zero with OPA627's in the DAC, hooked up to my Vintage Yamaha Pre-amp. The headphone output driven by the Zero, is every bit as good if not better than listening to a CDP hooked up to the same Pre-amp. This makes the computer as a source workable and preferred for it's ease of use and quality sounds. I use lossless wav files and WMA lossless.

Actually, it's not that I particularly like my headphone in my pre amp, it sounds really fine, but that's all I had before I build my speaker to headphone adapter. I think the adapter is a bit better than my pre amp. I think the sound is really fine, but I keep wondering if a dedicated amp (read LD Mk V) is better sounding.
biggrin.gif

When LT1364 is used on the amplifier section, how does it compare to LD Mk I or LD Mk V. Is the difference subtle or obvious? Especially in the sound stage and instrument separation aspect.

I have a question regarding the pre amp feature. When the right most button is pressed and there is no headphone present, does it's output toggle between full blast and volume knob regulated? If so I'd have to somehow secure that button so that I don't accidentally blast my head off.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back