REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 6, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #1,802 of 2,117
Hey everyone that has westone 3. I was wondering if multiple people could commer, or even show pictures on where about on there ear the W3 sits. Is it flush and not sticking out at all. Does it a little. Can u lay on ur side with them??

If anyone wants to take a picture of it that would be great also. My w2 are my first real IEM so I'm new to things in my ear. Any advice would be great

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #1,803 of 2,117
Oops double post. I blame my iPod touch

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #1,804 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone that has westone 3. I was wondering if multiple people could commer, or even show pictures on where about on there ear the W3 sits. Is it flush and not sticking out at all. Does it a little. Can u lay on ur side with them??

If anyone wants to take a picture of it that would be great also. My w2 are my first real IEM so I'm new to things in my ear. Any advice would be great

I had some in my photo album on head-fi.

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1085-westone3left.jpg

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1089-westone3right.jpg

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #1,805 of 2,117
Thanks for the photos. Small Difference is your ears are much larger than mine. Lol. But then I'm only 23 sir!

I got some small complys on the way. Maybe those will help. I'm worried about going custom cuz my ears will change

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #1,810 of 2,117
I know this question has been answered probably way too many times, but I'm going to ask again anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

W3 vs IE8?

Every post I read about these two, I'm constantly switching my mind. As of right now, I have absolutely no idea which one I want and would probably be happy with either one. Coming from the Sleek Audio SA6, which one is best for me? I listen to mostly rock, hip-hop, and a bit of techno on my Cowon S9. These will also be used for gaming and watching movies if that makes a difference, but listening to music is my main concern.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #1,811 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by DontMakeMEEatU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this question has been answered probably way too many times, but I'm going to ask again anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

W3 vs IE8?

Every post I read about these two, I'm constantly switching my mind. As of right now, I have absolutely no idea which one I want and would probably be happy with either one. Coming from the Sleek Audio SA6, which one is best for me? I listen to mostly rock, hip-hop, and a bit of techno on my Cowon S9. These will also be used for gaming and watching movies if that makes a difference, but listening to music is my main concern.

I own both and they are my top 2 pair of IEMs for sure. I prefer the laid back and huge sound stage of the IE8s, but you do get better noise isolation and attack with the W3s. There is no wrong choice here, just what matters to you.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #1,812 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by DontMakeMEEatU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

W3 vs IE8?

I still prefer the W3 over all other universal IEM, and I traded my IE8 for another W3 at RMAF in October when I lost mine this summer. As a matter of fact, I now have #082/333 of the W3 limited edition. I don't think there is a stronger way to endorse the W3 than that.

The W3 will sound even better with the UM56 custom tips, which I also had to replace when I lost my original W3. It does a nice job of balancing out the sound a little more and increasing the isolation and comfort. I think I like my new silicone UM56 more than my old vinyls ones too. The nice thing about the UM56 tips, is they also improve the W2 and W1 sound, and also worked well with my X10 and SE530 which are now gone because the W3 are better.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #1,813 of 2,117
I think I would agree.

Among ER4P, SE530, TFP10, UM2, UM3X that I have owned for long periods, I have to say W3 has the fewest faults of them all and I don't even use UM56 tips. I have not tried the IE8 but I suspect it will be too laid back and bass heavy for me.

W3 overall sound blends the 3 frequecies very admirably. I also find it has almost Ety like transparency but with a big, full sound and no amp required.

UM3X would be a close 2nd.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #1,815 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys think a w3 with the custom tips would beat the jh5 pro or another "entry level" custom?

In my review I felt they edged out the Livewires 2-way and Freq Show 3-way customs. I had the Freq rebuilt by Alien Ears, and while improved they still don't catch up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back