REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Nov 23, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #1,786 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey you get a lot of stuff with the W3...a T-Shirt, Gold-Plated Keychain, Paper Weight, All-Access pass for the Westone 3 that's been signed by Westone's Music team. AND AND AND THE MOST IMPORTANT, YOU GET A GOLD LOGO RATHER THAN A RED

i didnt get a t shirt,, sadly i didnt seem to like their signature,,,maybe ill give them a second chance,,, there highs weer painful and distorted, but i see how that might be corrected with long burn??????

also would there bass tighten up with long burn???

also have you dirctly compared the ie8 to the w3,, ican only say from memory that i thought the w3 had more bass( with ie8 knob turned down).

let me know what u think

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #1,787 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See my answers in Red letters.

COOL THANKS, ive done a lotta of testing since then and sitll ue5 eb bass prowess out does everything re: tfi10,w3, ie8, atrio, denon c710(which i like), and audio technica cks70.

i am sitll contemplating giveing the w3 and the ie8 another fight back to back, no holds barred, one iem enter, one iem leave.LOL

---i sold the w3 and wish i kept them for the fight,,

---ok so u said the ie8 def. has more bass than the w3??????????????

---just want to double check, as i find myself re aquiring iem's to do further testing and it is frustrating...

thanks again for your help

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #1,788 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there highs weer painful and distorted, but i see how that might be corrected with long burn??????

also would there bass tighten up with long burn???

As I said to you before: No and no. With the W3s (and most balanced-armature-driven earphones like them), burn in has a minimal effect at best.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #1,789 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
COOL THANKS, ive done a lotta of testing since then and sitll ue5 eb bass prowess out does everything re: tfi10,w3, ie8, atrio, denon c710(which i like), and audio technica cks70.

i am sitll contemplating giveing the w3 and the ie8 another fight back to back, no holds barred, one iem enter, one iem leave.LOL

---i sold the w3 and wish i kept them for the fight,,

---ok so u said the ie8 def. has more bass than the w3??????????????

---just want to double check, as i find myself re aquiring iem's to do further testing and it is frustrating...

thanks again for your help

I just felt that the IE8 bass was not as well controlled as the W3, and that the IE8 had more bass than was acceptable for the amount of mids and treble that they had - making the bass too much. The only time I felt the IE8 were fantastic, musical and properly balanced was out of my ALO Amphora amp, but with everything else they were a compromise. I couldn't keep the IE8 only for using with that one amp, but if the Amphora had been my only amp then I might have never known the IE8 weren't just right (until I plugged them into an iPod).

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #1,790 of 2,117
So hey guys, you all in this W3 appreciation thread all either have, or had them most likely, so i was looking for possible info on best tips etc..

I just bought the new Westone 2 IEMs. I know they are no W3, but thats all I could afford and I wanted some Westone sound. I know they are very different but can anyone guide me in the direction of some good tips for it. or are the 10 included enough for most. also what about the UM56 tips? any good

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #1,791 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So hey guys, you all in this W3 appreciation thread all either have, or had them most likely, so i was looking for possible info on best tips etc..

I just bought the new Westone 2 IEMs. I know they are no W3, but thats all I could afford and I wanted some Westone sound. I know they are very different but can anyone guide me in the direction of some good tips for it. or are the 10 included enough for most. also what about the UM56 tips? any good

Yes, UM56 are the best. Search this thread for "UM56" and see.

Otherwise, just try them all and stick with the tips that make you the happiest. I got to play with the W2 for a while this summer and was impressed with them, especially their soundstage. I suspect they will sound good with many tips, and I liked the Complys that I tried with them.

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #1,792 of 2,117
Does anyone know which Comply's come with the W3: the regular or the platinum? I've settled on the M Comply tips as my favorite and want to get a replacement set. On the Westone and Comply website there are 2 different models.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #1,793 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by stringgz301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know which Comply's come with the W3: the regular or the platinum? I've settled on the M Comply tips as my favorite and want to get a replacement set. On the Westone and Comply website there are 2 different models.

Thanks

We use the platinum series on the earphones. The only difference is the color between the standards and the platinum.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #1,794 of 2,117
I just received my new W3s via USPS this afternoon - finally got a chance to try them out today. I popped them on using the tips that were on the phones when they shipped (Complys I assume, but I haven't even read the literature yet). This is my first set of iems, so I'm not sure what I should have been expecting.
While I've gotten a good seal / isolation with the with tips, I have to say that, so far, I'm not blown away. Based on what I've read on the forums (and given the cost), I expected to be musically "transported", but so far I've gotten ok, but not spectacular results.
So far, I've tried them out with the following:
  1. Nik Bartsh's Ronin - Modul 32
  2. Gustav Host - Mars, Bringer of War
  3. Yes - Turn of the Century
  4. John Williams - The Five Sacred Trees - Io Mugno
  5. Arvo Part - Fratres (off of Tabula Rasa)
The sound just isn't airy or particularly extended - either highs or lows. What I'm getting is a lot of mids, which still sound somewhat recessed to me. I CAN hear some of the emphasis in the upper bass, though - but without a really solid, deep low end.
I suspect that I'm going to need to do a good deal of experimenting with the different tips supplied in order to improve optimize the sound.
I hope to be posting back relatively soon with better news once I've had a chance to play around.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #1,795 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by WJK59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my new W3s via USPS this afternoon - finally got a chance to try them out today. I popped them on using the tips that were on the phones when they shipped (Complys I assume, but I haven't even read the literature yet). This is my first set of iems, so I'm not sure what I should have been expecting.
While I've gotten a good seal / isolation with the with tips, I have to say that, so far, I'm not blown away. Based on what I've read on the forums (and given the cost), I expected to be musically "transported", but so far I've gotten ok, but not spectacular results.
The sound just isn't airy or particularly extended - either highs or lows. What I'm getting is a lot of mids, which still sound somewhat recessed to me. I CAN hear some of the emphasis in the upper bass, though - but without a really solid, deep low end.
I suspect that I'm going to need to do a good deal of experimenting with the different tips supplied in order to improve optimize the sound.
I hope to be posting back relatively soon with better news once I've had a chance to play around.

I'll tell you what everyone else will say here - you must try different tips and ear canal depth to find the right combo for your ears. I'm sure you will find that out on your own without reading it here, but I wanted to help speed up your journey if it will help you.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #1,796 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by WJK59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I share the same opinion about the complys, based on my sound preferences. The comply tips don't cut it.

Try the yellow shure foamies, I am sure you will like them.

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #1,798 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll tell you what everyone else will say here - you must try different tips and ear canal depth to find the right combo for your ears. I'm sure you will find that out on your own without reading it here, but I wanted to help speed up your journey if it will help you.

Thanks, guys - I figured as much. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the tips over the weekend a bit. I'm sure I'll know I've found the right ones when I hear them.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #1,800 of 2,117
Comply has a system that tells you exactly which earphone uses which model. The ones that come with the W3 i believe is the P series. However the T100 and TX100 also works with the W3. W3 fits a bit more snug though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back