REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 3, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #211 of 2,117
Well, I haven't been around much since my last purchases of the Atrios and Cowon X5L. Then a week ago, I stopped by and immediately got caught up in the W3 hysteria. Now, I am the proud owner of a "soon to be received" set of W3's. Got the 10% Ebay coupon coupled with 30% MCashback, so I couldn't resist that deal. Reading all the impressions and reviews has me really amped to hear these for myself. I can't wait to find out how they "mate" with the Cowon. Thanks to everyone who has previously listed their experiences on this thread, you now have another convert (hopefully). Atrios will become my workout iems now. Can't wait to compare them.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #212 of 2,117
Does someone have compared the sound of the UM3 VS UM2 ?
I own an UM2 (i'm very please with) but think to "upgrate " with UM3.
Does it worth the value ?
Thank.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #213 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend them if they weren't comfortable. I actually tend to get itchy ear canals with silicone tips (except for Klipsch ear gels), and these vinyl tips have never done that to me either, ever.

Thanks again Larry.
My 3's just arrived at the local fedex.
Called & put a "hold at location" on them - will pick them up in an hour or so! (wipes drool from corner of mouth).

Your sage advice has convinced me to pull the trigger on the vinyl UM56's (so many colors to choose from); especially in light of all the comments about muted hi-freq response with comply tips, and DIY engineering required on the triple flange tips.

In for a penny ($399 for the 3's), in for a pound (another $195 for the vinyl UM56 tips).

Thanks again Larry.
Don't know what I'd do without this place, and you guys.
(Oh yeah; I'd probably buy a big-honkin' boat with all the $$$ saved!)

Notwithstanding the posts here about them falling off (in-ear), I will try the Shure Olive Tips on the 3's. They are extremely comfortable on the 530's (but they do tend to attenuate the high frequencies somewhat).

When my Mustang arrives, I will post impressions on W3 / Mustang synergy, and a comparison to the SE530 / Tomahawk rig.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #214 of 2,117
I just ordered a pair and they should be at home by Friday.
If these IEMs turn out to be everything I've read about them then I am promptly going to start selling all my home gear (full size cans, dac....)

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #215 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank.

The W3s sound is fuller, richer, and more detailed than the UM2s. The low end is tighter and punchier. At times, the mids seem more recessed; it's like I want to grab the vocalist and pull them forward in the sound stage.

I sold off my UM2s to justify getting the W3s. I am considering picking up some UM2s as a beater pair :wink:.

Worth the upgrade - YES! Especially considering the upgrade cost me $100 ($260 less the $160 I sold my UM2s for).

-Pony

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #216 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jwm6780: Thanks for mentioning the $150 price tag.
Looks like I'd better shop around.
First quote for UM56's in N. CA was $185 (silicon) and $195 (vinyl).

Never heard of vinyl tips.
Anyone have any experience / comments on silicon vs. vinyl?

Go with silicone. They last longer. The vinyl will start to harden and shrink after a few years. This "can" cause the seal to not be as good. I switched this year from vinyl to silicone for my set.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #217 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank.

Westone 3. There is no UM3. :)

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #219 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beardy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that is true, why do so many of the eBay listings say UM3?

Because Flavio used the UM3 for search engine results (very smart man!). He is removing them per our request.

Other folks prolly the same reason.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #220 of 2,117
My W3s should be here tomorrow...I might sell them though.

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #222 of 2,117
Yeah, sorry.

My parents got them for me as a christmas gift. I've got bills to pay, though...

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #223 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with silicone. They last longer. The vinyl will start to harden and shrink after a few years. This "can" cause the seal to not be as good. I switched this year from vinyl to silicone for my set.

Interesting. I will keep that in mind for when my UM56 get too old. For now they are about a year old and seem just like when I got them. Is there a best way to store the vinyl tips to make them last longer?

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #225 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I will keep that in mind for when my UM56 get too old. For now they are about a year old and seem just like when I got them. Is there a best way to store the vinyl tips to make them last longer?

Not really. It comes down to the skin chemistry of each person. I've heard of people needing new ones after 1 year and others going 4+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back