REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 4, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #241 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks p0wderh0und.

Sounds like you may have Headphone Addict thinking about switching to silicon from his beloved vinyl UM56's, too.

Did you notice any SQ changes, when you switched from vinyl to silicone?
-anything at all?

I wont change until mine are too hard and shrunken to use anymore.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #242 of 2,117
Don't forget it takes 60 days to get the cashback. I heard Jaben might be selling these for a good price, doesn't he ship to aussieland down under whatchamacallit?

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #243 of 2,117
Faster than a speeding bullet.
More powerful than a locomotive.
Able to leap tall music in a single bound.
Westone 3. (It's alive!)

Forget specs: frequency response curves, THD, milliamps, and milliwatts.
Alone, together, divided by Pi to the N'th power - it doesn't matter - they are all insufficient metrics, to fully characterize the psychoacoustic image that the "3's" generate.

Somebody at Westone (IMHO) had to realize, that the way humans perceive acoustic images, only starts with these parameters. It is also materially dependent on how each of these parameters change dynamically, alone and together - millisecond by millisecond.
(Westone probably put an acoustic cognition research guy in charge of development, instead of an electrical engineer)

After all, when you plug them in, the 3's are playing into one big honkin' Neural Net - your brain. And what your brain does for a living, is "recognize, characterize, and integrate, complex dynamic hierarchical patterns". Patterns with huge amounts of fan-in / fan-out (interdependencies), percolating through huge numbers of neurons (brain cells).

It's now dawning on me that the 3's were designed to maximize realism of the acoustic image they generate. Nothing else.

I suspect we are all "counting angels on a pinhead", when it comes to the spec game. I'm done with it! (LOL)

Perhaps that's why this forum is so valuable: I submit there is no better indicator of real "psycoacoustic image" quality & texture (and its variance among the population), than the subjective, yet well considered, "rantings and ravings" shared among the members of this community.

Back to the 3's:

- Can't even begin to think of A/B testing - I will NOT take these things out!

- I've never (ever) heard a sound transducer of any sort, that so realistically simulates being in the same room with the musicians - period. Not even my Definitive BP2000's! (with the 3's, everything synergizes in ways that I can't hope to fathom, to create the best illusion of "being there" that I've ever heard).

-High volume - no problemo. Had to crank them down from "concert levels" to keep from bleeding. Yet they weren't even close to being out of breath.

- low volume. This one was a big surprise. They "stay alive" even at very low listening volumes.

- "Liveness": that's the one word description of the 3's.

- example: David Gilmour: Live at Gdansk
Before, I thought the engineering on this live performance was just OK. With the 3's, I came to appreciate the masterful recording & mixing done on this album (to say nothing of the performance itself). Couldn't stop thinking that "this is exactly what it sounded like in the mixing studio, with umpteen thousands of dollars worth of signal train and the best monitors money can buy. It sounds just like you are in the studio! No other way to describe it.
(PS: Gilmour's guitar solo on A Great Day for Freedom - wow!)

- example: Bella Sonus
the imaging and precision on this one is just downright scary. Rock solid tight bass, right down to the bottom. But most of all, it's spacial imaging, combined with sweet precision (scalpel like attack, yet sweet & uber-natural multi-path sounding decay). Again: sounds exactly like being in the mixing studio, to me.

-Craig Chaquico: Just Friends. His amplified acoustic guitar on this one absolutely sings with the 3's. It didn't with anything else.

- Def Lepard: Hysteria: Deluxe Edition 2006 (not just a remix - new, highly engineered performances of old favorites). This one was like night and day. With the 3's, the vocals simply jump into your head - sounds like they're 10 feet away - every breath, every nuance is "real".

- Scorpions: Humanity
The 3's seem to dynamically adjust, between the melodic / acoustic intro portion, followed by the power metal chorus. It's almost like they programmed a conductor into them - it's like he's constantly telling each musician to "bring it up a bit" or "take it down a bit".

-iPhone: after using them extensively on the phone today, I can attest that products like the PK2's and SE530's don't come anywhere close to generating the "image" of the person being "right there".

More to follow...

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #247 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was hoping to see some pico centric comments :p

They are fantastic with Pico and very good with Predator, although I have been using the Pico more with my laptop and so I haven't fully formed an opinion of the them with the Predator. They are not bad with the D2 Boa, but it is not my favorite and I might slightly like my 54 hour Nuforce Icon Mobile more than the D2 with them as it is more forward and reminds me of the Meier amps, and doesn't have some of the coloration of the D2 Boa. That is as far as I have gotten.

PS: Don't forget, I am placing links to other people's impressions and reviews at the bottom of the first post.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #248 of 2,117
Has anyone had a chance to use them with the iBasso D3?

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #249 of 2,117
Here is how well they tuck into the ear with Westome UM-56 custom sleeves. The clear thing sticking out is the handle to remove the tip should the earphone become disconnected from the custom tip:

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1085-westone3left.jpg

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1089-westone3right.jpg

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #251 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your review and impressions, HA. Although, I did expect you to be a little more...green.
biggrin.gif

I'd like to be a little less grey!

Ooh look GREEN...eyes!

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #252 of 2,117
ha are you using the custom tips? I think I remember reading you did anyways I just ordered my westone 3's and I already have some impressions but I want to know what their turn around time is on the tips before I sent them off

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #253 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is how well they tuck into the ear with Westome UM-56 custom sleeves. The clear thing sticking out is the handle to remove the tip should the earphone become disconnected from the custom tip:

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1085-westone3left.jpg

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1089-westone3right.jpg

I think these pictures solved all fears I had about the iem sticking out too much so now I am definitely going to be looking into those tips....

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #254 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget it takes 60 days to get the cashback. I heard Jaben might be selling these for a good price, doesn't he ship to aussieland down under whatchamacallit?

almost all of my MS Live cash backs have been posted to my PayPal account withing 24 hours. Some taking a few days and some a bit longer. I am not sure what the deal is on how they decide. I ordered some panels and memory etc for my kids computers and the cash back posted the same day!

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #255 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think these pictures solved all fears I had about the iem sticking out too much so now I am definitely going to be looking into those tips....

See, I'm psycho and thought of your question before you did! Er, I mean psychic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back