REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Feb 20, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,022 of 2,117
lol

Well, I'd love to hear how the W3 sounds compared to the IE8. Anyone have a pair in Toronto I can come by to try?
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #1,024 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I would love to meet someone with the W3's in New York. I have the IE8's and I would like to meet for coffee and we could swap and do a short listening session.

I'm your guy; I work in midtown and live in Scarsdale.

-Ed

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #1,025 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm your guy; I work in midtown and live in Scarsdale.

-Ed

Great Ed! I have the IE8's and you have the W3's. Since you work in midtown, I can travel to you. Maybe you know of a quiet cafe that is not nearly as busy as Starbucks nearby where we could have a listening session. This W3 vs. IE8 debate is killing me. : )

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #1,026 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great Ed! I have the IE8's and you have the W3's. Since you work in midtown, I can travel to you. Maybe you know of a quiet cafe that is not nearly as busy as Starbucks nearby where we could have a listening session. This W3 vs. IE8 debate is killing me. : )

Then you MUST meet today and post your findings here TODAY, so we can all survive the weekend! : )

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #1,027 of 2,117
I would if I could, but I can't--gotta' hustle off to IZOD Stadium immediately after work for a Nets game.

-Ed

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #1,028 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you MUST meet today and post your findings here TODAY, so we can all survive the weekend! : )

Oh, if I could meet today, I would. I agree with you, we "both" need to post our thoughts here and as soon as we meet, we will.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #1,029 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, now I just have to figure out if there's any way I can get a pair of IE8s for something better than $450+shipping!

-Ed

EDIT: Nevermind, I have acquired a pair for $317 shipped. Can't wait for them to come in so I can start burn-in!

Let us know how they do vs the W3. From what I have read it's not so much about better as in different areas where they excel. I was going to get the IE8 just to say I've heard them, but canceled when NICXUS lied and jerked me around. Since I already have a fantastic IEM with the W3 it was a non-issue.

It's gonna take more than a 30 minute visit swapping IEM to get the real flavor of the sound and acclimate ears and find the right tips and ear canal position and depth, so please take your time with this.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #1,030 of 2,117
A lot of this for me is a chance to sample what is considered pinacle dynamic driver IEM technology versus the first true three-way balanced armature IEM...it's interesting when you think about it that way. Of course every implementation will differ even among the same technologies, but there is still something to be said for the configurations themselves.

-Ed

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #1,031 of 2,117
Hi guys- just got my W3s after trading for a pair of IE8s

Initially I found the sibilance to be dreadful - until the person I traded with strongly recommended the triple flanges.

This is the first time I used tips so intrusive and I find the whole thing really finnicky. First off it takes me a good 2-3 mins to insert each earpiece as the the tip keeps bending and the sound keeps cutting out. Secondly inserting them in can get quiet painful and I can't really seem to push them in far enough so the whole body of the earpiece can rest inside the ear (so the body is not really touching my ear) - sorry thats quite hard to explain.

Anyway my question is am I inserting them too deep? or is this just me adjusting to using trip flanges - on the plus side sibilance is gone

One last thing I've noticed is that the moving my jaw seems to muffle the sound a bit in one ear then the other - again is this normal?

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #1,032 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's gonna take more than a 30 minute visit swapping IEM to get the real flavor of the sound and acclimate ears and find the right tips and ear canal position and depth, so please take your time with this.

Thanks HeadphoneAddict. Yes, we are planning on an extended listening session and it is something I have been looking forward to for a long time now. I have to say, I just love my IE8's and can't wait to listen to the W3's.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #1,033 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaoipower /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Initially I found the sibilance to be dreadful - until the person I traded with strongly recommended the triple flanges.

This is the first time I used tips so intrusive and I find the whole thing really finnicky. First off it takes me a good 2-3 mins to insert each earpiece as the the tip keeps bending and the sound keeps cutting out. Secondly inserting them in can get quiet painful and I can't really seem to push them in far enough so the whole body of the earpiece can rest inside the ear (so the body is not really touching my ear) - sorry thats quite hard to explain.

Anyway my question is am I inserting them too deep? or is this just me adjusting to using trip flanges - on the plus side sibilance is gone

One last thing I've noticed is that the moving my jaw seems to muffle the sound a bit in one ear then the other - again is this normal?

Well, if you look at how the triple flange is constructed, the hole is rather small, and I think at that point of having to insert them that deeply in your war, it's normal for sound to become blocked out when you move your jaw. You're most likely "pinching" the hole closed.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #1,034 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaoipower /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try trimming the stalk or base of the triple flange down shorter, but don't cut off too much or it can hurt the sound. Cut off about 1mm from the base of the triple flange (the end opposite of the flanges or mushrooms), and try the fit and listen. If it is still too long cut off another 1mm. Repeat the fit and listen steps.

In my case I have to cut 3 mm off the base of the stalk of the triple flange tip.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #1,035 of 2,117
Thanks HA and TMM - I'm going to try and avoid physically altering the tips for now as my initial impression is that I prefer the sound of the IE8s and may sell these on

but we'll see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back