REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Feb 24, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #1,052 of 2,117
The level of high frequency attenuation is affected by how long the tips are and how far in they extend. The amount of bass is affected by seal.

-Ed

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,053 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only person who actually likes the medium gray silicones? For me the achieve a great seal and are really comfortable. Are there any other variables to consider when choosing a tip? IE, do tips actually sound different, or is it the seal that is effecting the sound?

Thanks all... first post and very new to this.

I am perfectly fine with the grey silicone tips, but they are not as good as my UM-56 tips, but still very good.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #1,054 of 2,117
still playing with tips... has anyone found the gray silicones to be too bass-y, or more specifically, a little boomy?

For me, the large gray silicones are the only ones (cut down triple flanges included) that give me a true seal... and they're really comfortable... but I believe I might be hearing a bit a veil over the music: a little murkiness and a little boominess to the bass. Granted I'm listening to an iphone, but...

Keep in mind I'm in that early, craziness stage... I might just be looking for stuff.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #1,055 of 2,117
Quote:

still playing with tips... has anyone found the gray silicones to be too bass-y, or more specifically, a little boomy?

For me, the large gray silicones are the only ones (cut down triple flanges included) that give me a true seal... and they're really comfortable... but I believe I might be hearing a bit a veil over the music: a little murkiness and a little boominess to the bass. Granted I'm listening to an iphone, but...

Keep in mind I'm in that early, craziness stage... I might just be looking for stuff.

If I use a shallower insertion where they seal at the boney entrance to the ear canal then the sound is MUCH better balanced and never veiled. The UM-56 customs tips improve on that sound, despite them being long and the opening being deep in my ear canal (which I can't explain).

It is possible if I insert the grey tips in too deep in my ear canals to make them boomy and veiled. The same issue happens to me with Image X10, SA6 or q-JAYS when inserted too deep, while the opposite happens with SE530, E4c, SE310 or ER6i.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #1,056 of 2,117
I've just started using Spyro's that he just sold me and have found the bi-flanges to be lacking in the treble department, with the same problem whilst using the large grey silicones.

The olives worked well, but were so tight, that I had to cut them off, as I didn't want to break the nozzle, which is a shame, as they were very comfortable, isolated very well, delivered great bass, as well as good treble.

I tried a set of tri-flanges from my E500 days and they are quite good, although they might need trimming a bit, which may improve the treble.

I haven't tried the Complys yet, so I'll try them over the next couple of days.

No real sibilance issues either so far, fingers crossed, so I'm pretty happy so far.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #1,057 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Kev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just started using Spyro's that he just sold me and have found the bi-flanges to be lacking in the treble department, with the same problem whilst using the large grey silicones.

The olives worked well, but were so tight, that I had to cut them off, as I didn't want to break the nozzle, which is a shame, as they were very comfortable, isolated very well, delivered great bass, as well as good treble.

I tried a set of tri-flanges from my E500 days and they are quite good, although they might need trimming a bit, which may improve the treble.

I haven't tried the Complys yet, so I'll try them over the next couple of days.

No real sibilance issues either so far, fingers crossed, so I'm pretty happy so far.

Yeah, I found cutting the triple flange down to a biflange didn't sound right IF I also cut the stalk shorter to get the W3 to fit closer to my ear. So if I use the triple flange I make sure to not cut them too short or the treble gets plasticky for me, and I just cut 2-3 mm off the stalk or base of the tips.

Enjoy!

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #1,058 of 2,117
Quote:

Me. With my UM2s, the Shure grey softips were a no-brainer. With W3s they are not a slam-dunk, but like many others I have not found another tip that is even close to working as well. I'm using Sony DAPs and have found a couple of EQ settings I can live with that tame the bass output (and that helps greatly in restoring mid presence & overall balance) but I'm finding it very recording-dependent (much like sibilance). Still, these sound very, very good and easily outclass the UM2s with their extended range. Cheers.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #1,059 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me. With my UM2s, the Shure grey softips were a no-brainer. With W3s they are not a slam-dunk, but like many others I have not found another tip that is even close to working as well. I'm using Sony DAPs and have found a couple of EQ settings I can live with that tame the bass output (and that helps greatly in restoring mid presence & overall balance) but I'm finding it very recording-dependent (much like sibilance). Still, these sound very, very good and easily outclass the UM2s with their extended range. Cheers.

Agree. The large grey Shure silicones were the best on the UM2's by far, and they are the best for me on the W3's. I also went through an early "crazy" phase where I tried everything and obsessed over the differences. I just try not to completely jam the silicones in my ear, and they sound great.

Now I'm just enjoying my music, instead of worrying about my IEM's. Much better!!

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #1,060 of 2,117
Yes, the are better than UM2's EXCEPT for vocals.

If you still have the UM2's go back in forth between W3 and UM2 with vocal driven music (something like Diana Krall). It's not even close. I was kind of shocked myself.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #1,062 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just try not to completely jam the silicones in my ear, and they sound great.

That's exactly where I am right now. I was accustomed (with other iem's) to really jamming them in there to ensure a lasting seal. With these I just kind of put 'em in and forget about it (one of the great benefits of the monitors sitting snuggly in your ear is that they keep everything in place... and they're remarkably comfortable). That over-bassy boominess I was hearing is gone.... everything is much more balanced, and sounds great.

Thanks to HeadphoneAddict for your help on this a few posts back. And thanks to everyone... this is a great forum.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #1,065 of 2,117
I noticed vocals are quite louder with my UM2 than with the Westone 3, however I haven't decided if that means better.

One thing I think the UM2s are better is that for real long hours of listening, I found my UM2s to be less fatiguing than my Westone 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the are better than UM2's EXCEPT for vocals.

If you still have the UM2's go back in forth between W3 and UM2 with vocal driven music (something like Diana Krall). It's not even close. I was kind of shocked myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back