REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Feb 20, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #1,036 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaoipower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks HA and TMM - I'm going to try and avoid physically altering the tips for now as my initial impression is that I prefer the sound of the IE8s and may sell these on

but we'll see

Now, this is just my opinion, but if you've read this thread and the other big W3 thread then you know the sound can make noticeable changes with different tips, cutting triple flanges or changinging the depth and ear canal position. If you're not going to give them a fair shake in this thread, I'd rather not hear about it. Don't go into this half-baked.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #1,037 of 2,117
HA, I read xiaoipower's comparison between the IE8 and TF10, and it was very thorough and well written.

I'm sure he'll give the W3 a suitably fair trial before posting his views.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #1,038 of 2,117
hehe - I can feel your frustration/passion for the W3's HA - I'll certainly give these a fair listen

Soozieq:

thanks for the support!
did you have any luck with the trip flanges?

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #1,039 of 2,117
Quote:

hehe - I can feel your frustration/passion for the W3's HA - I'll certainly give these a fair listen

Soozieq:

thanks for the support!

out of the supplied silicone tips I found the modded triflange to be the best. I cut the stalk and the top flange off, but try just the flange first, because some people find that they can start to experience sibilance once they make the tip too short. so any advantage they get from trimming the top flange is void when they do the stalk. then you have to order a whole new pack of them. I actually liked the shure triflanges more also modded. that being said I use UM56 now 99% of the time. I tend to use the silicones only when in bed because I read HA's horror story of sleeping with UM56 and snapping the stem off his SE530.

Good luck!! I would actually recommend getting the UM56 anyway as you can use them with either IEM and you will be giving both IEM's the best chance and the tips will be taken out of the equation

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #1,040 of 2,117
Quote:

Thanks HA and TMM - I'm going to try and avoid physically altering the tips for now as my initial impression is that I prefer the sound of the IE8s and may sell these on

but we'll see

thats the big thing with W3 you MUST find the right tip and sometimes that means modding one.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #1,041 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats the big thing with W3 you MUST find the right tip and sometimes that means modding one.

Agreed. and sometimes it means finding none.
tongue.gif
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #1,042 of 2,117
Quote:

Soozieq:
thanks for the support!

No. I didn't have any luck with them at all. They felt way too big and they really hurt my ears. So I tried the 'mod', but after 10 scissor-happy minutes, I turned the triple-flange into a 'half-flange', with a jaggedy edge and one side shorter than the other
biggrin.gif

Be very cautious with those scissors!!! Do it bit by bit. I thought I was being so careful as I gently 'trimmed' a little here and there, but the end result was still R.I.P triple-flange gel! So go easy on them. And I look forward to your impressions between those and the IE8/TF10
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #1,043 of 2,117
Quote:

out of the supplied silicone tips I found the modded triflange to be the best. I cut the stalk and the top flange off, but try just the flange first, because some people find that they can start to experience sibilance once they make the tip too short. so any advantage they get from trimming the top flange is void when they do the stalk. then you have to order a whole new pack of them. I actually liked the shure triflanges more also modded. that being said I use UM56 now 99% of the time. I tend to use the silicones only when in bed because I read HA's horror story of sleeping with UM56 and snapping the stem off his SE530.

Good luck!! I would actually recommend getting the UM56 anyway as you can use them with either IEM and you will be giving both IEM's the best chance and the tips will be taken out of the equation

Actually, the W3 with UM56 tips tuck into my ear much more tightly than the SE530 did, so I have NO fear of snapping off a sound nozzle with the UM56 on the W3 if I sleep with them in my ears. See my photo album for pictures of me wearing the W3 with the UM56 tips and you'll see how snugly and well tucked-in they fit into the ear.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #1,044 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the W3 with UM56 tips tuck into my ear much more tightly than the SE530 did, so I have NO fear of snapping off a sound nozzle with the UM56 on the W3 if I sleep with them in my ears. See my photo album for pictures of me wearing the W3 with the UM56 tips and you'll see how snugly and well tucked-in they fit into the ear.

umm HA I happen to know how snugly they fit into the ear from personal experience hehe unless you just want me to check you out big boy
tongue.gif
I just remember you had a bad experience with SE530 and i've avoided sleeping with them mostly because of that.

edit: I guess you werent talking to me maybe??? damn and I thought I was in for a chance

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #1,045 of 2,117
Quote:

umm HA I happen to know how snugly they fit into the ear from personal experience hehe unless you just want me to check you out big boy
tongue.gif
I just remember you had a bad experience with SE530 and i've avoided sleeping with them mostly because of that.

edit: I guess you werent talking to me maybe??? damn and I thought I was in for a chance

Wow, I sure felt awkward reading that.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #1,046 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I sure felt awkward reading that.

that was the idea; you dont really think I was being serious do you?? obviously you've never spent time in OZ to know the sense of humour

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #1,047 of 2,117
While I know I've been down this road before, I have finally heard the W3s living up to their potential - without owning the custom sleeves, that is. It's been two months, and there have been so many of these "false positive" reports from me, I run the risk of sounding like a broken record. However, for the past two days, I have devoted myself to trying even more combos of sleeves with the W3s, and now, finally, I think I have hit paydirt.

A few pages ago (or on another W3 thread, not sure) someone (thank you) posted that they had hit their paydirt by using the small black olives with their W3s, and that was after not being happy with the mediums. I tried some smalls I had sitting around, and thought, "Hey, that's it!" But still, I could not get a good seal in my right ear, which is smaller than my left, but still requires a larger tip for a good seal. Must be something about shape. What else could it be?

So, I left the small olive on the left, and tried a medium on the right. Still, didn't feel snug/right. I inverted the olive in my right ear, the medium, an old trick some of us used with the Atrio M5 a couple of years ago when they came out. I also do it with the PFEs sometimes. And bang, that was it!

Having made that discovery, it all came together. The robust, deep, clean bass (the mid-bass hump nowhere to be heard), the clear, clean mids, and the detailed and crisp highs. Finally, this is that the W3s are supposed to sound like, right? With all the other tips I tried, I either had dulled highs/mids, too much harshness, or a congestion that just made complex music sound, well, congested (which is why I favored the PFEs over the W3s during this tip trial).

I used a simple setup, my Zune80, no amp, no LOD, no EQ (not possible with the Zune). Of course, there is SQ variance based on some tracks, but on the higher quality masters (even at 192k), the W3s really sounded like the amazing IEM they were supposed to be when I got them.

Now, for the much-debated sibilance. It's not completely gone, but on the few tracks it rears its ugly head, I can live with it. I think some tracks are gonna have some harshness, no matter what. It may be dissipated, even eliminated, with dynamic phones (IE8s, Turbines), but it is there with the W3. As I noted a long time ago, I can eliminate the harshness completely with the modded tri-flanges, but they also veil the mids and highs to me, as well as make my head feel like a stuffed turkey.

The bi-flange mods sounded okay, but again, I feel pressure from them that doesn't exist with the olives. Also, about the same level of spotty harshness.

So, after two months (got them for Xmas), I can now say the W3s are doing what I hoped/thought they would do when stuck firmly in my ears. Can't wait to try them out with my Minibox and Touch LOD again.

As for the PFE/W3 comparisons, I still treasure the Phonaks, especially for specific types of music (female vocals, acoustic guitar, and other similar genres), and the two phones will co-exist in my collection for a long time to come. I will not pick a favorite, because they are so different. But all I can say is I am lucky to have them both, from my recent listening experiences.

Oh, I will say that unamped with the same DAP, no EQ, I do much prefer the Westones, which deliver excellent SQ without an amp. To me, the PFEs really need at least the E5 bass boost to start hitting their stride, in terms of meeting the type of SQ that my ears favor. Doesn't mean they can't sound very good without an amp, but for me, they only excel ampless with my Touch HP out. For some reason, I just can't get enough heft from them with the other DAPs I own, especially the Clips.

I realize this is not a very technical post, but it's the best I can do. I have never claimed to be one of the more tech-savvy Head-Fi'ers. I leave that to others.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #1,048 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I left the small olive on the left, and tried a medium on the right. Still, didn't feel snug/right. I inverted the olive in my right ear, the medium, an old trick some of us used with the Atrio M5 a couple of years ago when they came out. I also do it with the PFEs sometimes. And bang, that was it!

Having made that discovery, it all came together. The robust, deep, clean bass (the mid-bass hump nowhere to be heard), the clear, clean mids, and the detailed and crisp highs. Finally, this is that the W3s are supposed to sound like, right? With all the other tips I tried, I either had dulled highs/mids, too much harshness, or a congestion that just made complex music sound, well, congested (which is why I favored the PFEs over the W3s during this tip trial).

I'm glad you have seen the light, or should I say, "heard the sound". I really respect you for being able to post things like this. As Yoda would say, "Being an honest and respectable head-fier, it does make!"

PS: It's very acceptable to like more than one IEM or headphone, look at me!

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #1,049 of 2,117
Am I the only person who actually likes the medium gray silicones? For me the achieve a great seal and are really comfortable. Are there any other variables to consider when choosing a tip? IE, do tips actually sound different, or is it the seal that is effecting the sound?

Thanks all... first post and very new to this.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #1,050 of 2,117
actually, meant to say large gray silicones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back