REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
May 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #616 of 1,290
I was pretty happy with oblong case I got for my first UM IEM. It didn't look as flashy as red one which UM used (or still) add to Merlin. All right guys... I really don't want to whine about some cheap detail. If any one need case they are sold for $2 shipped w/w on ebay.

[Edit] Have you tried reverse polarization? Sound is slighlty different. Less mids and more midbass for me.
[Edit2] Photo:

I'll post photo on UM's facebook after I finish my silver cable

Hey, nice colour scheme!

Why did you choose non-recessed sockets?

May 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #617 of 1,290
@discombobulation I listened only to the last song. Let's say if you want to look like the guy in the picture - merlins are for you lol

Basically the song pushes Merlin to the lowest of lows. You feel like different parts of your brain shake :D

After my today listenings I would make careful assumption that UM Merlin is a combination of Audeo 1xx widedness, TF10/232 (or more) depth, soundstage imaging and instrument placement of SE535 and W4 highs. I try think of earphones that has similar mids and vocals but nothing comes to my mind. Some vocals seemed a bit dry, though. As for bass I'd say it's like more emphased FXT90 with sub-bass feel.
Overall siganture is typical UM-bright but mid-centric with great dynamic low-end

May 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #619 of 1,290
Quote:
If you guys want to try something fun (electro) for your Merlins, get a hold of the track "Chameleon" by Trentemøller... 
wink.gif

Trust me, it's quite the experience. Lots and lots of layers on top of a constantly changing deeeep bassline.

Ha yeh that was made for the merlins lol. My merlins actually have a really similar feel to how i've got my desktop setup tuned.. except if i were to listen to that track on my stereo everything in the room vibrates and ruins it.

May 8, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #620 of 1,290
My Merlins are now in transit and FedEx tracking has them pegged in the glorious city of Almaty, Kazaksthan. 
etysmile.gif

May 8, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #621 of 1,290
darn. i still have no news from my merlins. sent it back last late february. and i still doesn't have it. can't be furious enough cause nothing will change eventually. still trying to be patient.

May 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #622 of 1,290
Quote:
darn. i still have no news from my merlins. sent it back last late february. and i still doesn't have it. can't be furious enough cause nothing will change eventually. still trying to be patient.

Get in touch with Matt from UM Global, mine were returned on march 15th.

May 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #624 of 1,290
Quote:
@discombobulation I listened only to the last song. Let's say if you want to look like the guy in the picture - merlins are for you lol

Basically the song pushes Merlin to the lowest of lows. You feel like different parts of your brain shake :D

After my today listenings I would make careful assumption that UM Merlin is a combination of Audeo 1xx widedness, TF10/232 (or more) depth, soundstage imaging and instrument placement of SE535 and W4 highs. I try think of earphones that has similar mids and vocals but nothing comes to my mind. Some vocals seemed a bit dry, though. As for bass I'd say it's like more emphased FXT90 with sub-bass feel.
Overall siganture is typical UM-bright but mid-centric with great dynamic low-end

Haha excellent, thanks a lot for your time.

Sounds exactly like the upgrade I'm looking for. Don't have the cash for them yet, but am saving up for them (it's going to take a long time
tongue.gif
). W4 sound signature with perhaps a bit more sparkle in the highs and forward bass, better soundstaging and most important of all, that natural dynamic driver bass sound that tickled me so much when I spent some time with the GR07.

May 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #625 of 1,290
Anyone happen to know the going rate for used Merlins? From the offers I have received so far, I would only save about $100 after all is said and done and not sure if that's worth it. (After the 169 remold and all.)

May 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #626 of 1,290
Quote:
Anyone happen to know the going rate for used Merlins? From the offers I have received so far, I would only save about $100 after all is said and done and not sure if that's worth it. (After the 169 remold and all.)

On average take 400-500 dollars off the new price and voila.  Miracles should go 500-600, Merlins should go for less obviously I would say 400-500.

May 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #627 of 1,290
Quote:

A warranty is a Very Good Thing with a custom earphone. Armatures can fail, acoustic filters can get clogged or moisture damaged, all sorts of stuff can break.

May 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #628 of 1,290
Quote:

On average take 400-500 dollars off the new price and voila.  Miracles should go 500-600, Merlins should go for less obviously I would say 400-500.

Ya I got offered $500 for a pair of Merlins and after the 169$ for reshell it puls me at around 700. Thats only 100 from the brand new and seems kind of...silly to say the least.

Quote:
A warranty is a Very Good Thing with a custom earphone. Armatures can fail, acoustic filters can get clogged or moisture damaged, all sorts of stuff can break.

Agreed.

May 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #629 of 1,290
My Merlins arrived yesterday, and I'm pretty happy with them. One issue I've had is that there is a clicking sound when I move my jaw around or push in on the IEMs, I'm thinking this could be the diaphragm on the dynamic driver being moved with the change in air pressure in my ears. Can anyone else confirm whether they can make a clicking sound by moving the IEMs?

This is not my first set of UMs, I had a pair of remoulded SE500s for over a year, and they never made a peep when moved in-ear.

May 9, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #630 of 1,290
My Merlins arrived yesterday, and I'm pretty happy with them. One issue I've had is that there is a clicking sound when I move my jaw around or push in on the IEMs, I'm thinking this could be the diaphragm on the dynamic driver being moved with the change in air pressure in my ears. Can anyone else confirm whether they can make a clicking sound by moving the IEMs?

This is not my first set of UMs, I had a pair of remoulded SE500s for over a year, and they never made a peep when moved in-ear.

I get the same when i waggle my jaw, i figured that it was inevitbale as a solid material was unlikely to form a perfect seal as i changed the shape of my ear canal? The right is more pronounced than the left as it is a looser fit.

The bottom line for me is that the iems never lose the seal with my outer ear canal and therefore no noise leak out/in so i am happy. Together with the horrendous waiting times (3 months for me!) i decided not to get a re-fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back