REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Nov 17, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #1,276 of 1,290
Lol, just realized that there weren't a lot of IEMs, more headphones ( but as I mostly listen in the office, I skipped them).

As of IEMs, there were only two which I actually bought:
- Earsonics Velvet - great bass, but highs boosted too much and the mids are kinda strange (don't know how to describe it - something's off in the upper mids region)
- Aurisonics ASG-2.5 - fantastic subbass (that power!), but less clarity and separation than Merlins, some slight sibilance (I'm quite sensitive to that), slightly more dark

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,277 of 1,290
  Lol, just realized that there weren't a lot of IEMs, more headphones ( but as I mostly listen in the office, I skipped them).

- Earsonics Velvet - great bass, but highs boosted too much and the mids are kinda strange (don't know how to describe it - something's off in the upper mids region)
- Aurisonics ASG-2.5 - fantastic subbass (that power!), but less clarity and separation than Merlins, some slight sibilance (I'm quite sensitive to that), slightly more dark

you listened to um mentor?

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #1,278 of 1,290

I read great things about the Velvet at the time they came out. How does their soundstage compare to the Merlins? I am all about soundstage :p

I don't have too much to spend on gear at the moment, and the last headphones I bought were Vsonic VSD5 which were around $60 and they have an incredible soundstage and great seperation. What they lack is a more realistic sounding treble.

I should have the fairly new ATH-E40 begining of next week. Heard great things about them and wanted to try the push-pull DD tech since the AT CKR series came out.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #1,279 of 1,290
  you listened to um mentor?

Unfortunately not.

I read great things about the Velvet at the time they came out. How does their soundstage compare to the Merlins? I am all about soundstage :p

It's been a while since I had them, but I don't recall being amazed. From what I remember, the sound seems to be a bit distant (due to the slightly recessed mids, at least in comparison to bass and treble), hence the soundstage can seem to be quite big. But it's definitely not bigger than Merlins, although they have a more intimate sound (at least to my ears, but I'm not all about soundstage, as long as it's not too narrow).

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,283 of 1,290
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #1,285 of 1,290
Hi!

Like to have some opinions. Currently, i have UM Martian and i was thinking of getting another UM custom as Martian cannot be reshall to custom. I am thinking of UM Merlin V2 or Miracle V2. Which one is close to Martian?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #1,287 of 1,290
Does anybody know the correct type of replacement cable for the UM Merlins? Mine is starting to deteriorate where the ear guides meet the connectors.

Since I can't find anywhere that sells UM spares in the UK, I was looking at these...

https://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/shop/ultimate-ears-custom-ear-monitor-replacement-cable-for-ue-custom-ears-made-before-sept-1st-2010/?attribute_colour=Black&attribute_length=48"/120cm

I've replaced my cable a couple of times, they use the same 2-pin connector that's common on UE/Westone/loads of others :)

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #1,288 of 1,290
Nov 28, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #1,289 of 1,290
Do you have a direct link to a UK seller of such a cable? I want to be sure as there seem to be different types of 2-pin CIEM cable.

This for example wouldn't fit...

http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co....e-cables-for-custom-iems-in-ear-monitors.html

RIght, yea you need the exposed pin type... I got a Norne Audio cable that eventually died too, now I've got one of these Westone ones and I'm very happy with it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Westone-Bl...d=1511862910&sr=8-3&keywords=westone+es+cable

Nice flexibility, lightweight, quality and robust, good strain relief on the connections, sounds great! the connectors are sliiiiightly looser than the cable that ships with the Merlins, but I've never had them disconnect from mine when in use.

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #1,290 of 1,290
RIght, yea you need the exposed pin type... I got a Norne Audio cable that eventually died too, now I've got one of these Westone ones and I'm very happy with it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Westone-Bl...d=1511862910&sr=8-3&keywords=westone+es+cable

Nice flexibility, lightweight, quality and robust, good strain relief on the connections, sounds great! the connectors are sliiiiightly looser than the cable that ships with the Merlins, but I've never had them disconnect from mine when in use.

Perfect, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back