REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Aug 22, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,246 of 1,290
  Make sure whatever source you use has a very low output impedance. 

The Merlin only has an impedance of 10ohms, so it can be a little bit "fussy" with sources. 

On the frequency response chart that was given with mine the impedance is listed at 15.3 Ohm. Is this a design change or is the variability between different Merlins this big?

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #1,247 of 1,290
I am so undeniably happy I finally found my lost Merlins. I thought I lost 'em somewhere on my flight back to home country. Been almost over 1 year now.

I searched through the luggage bag but couldn't find it. Turns out I searched the wrong bag. It was right there along with my clothes in the other bag. Right there for all these 12 months !

Haha...it's so much fun listening to this. It adds the fun in the music.

In the sweet reunion of my orangered Merlin's
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,248 of 1,290
  On the frequency response chart that was given with mine the impedance is listed at 15.3 Ohm. Is this a design change or is the variability between different Merlins this big?

The website lists them as 12ohm.

To be honest, 10-16ohm is negligible to us end-users. At any rate, it's difficult to measure precisely, but we buyers should be aware of it when choosing a source for our babies. 

Choose a source with a very low output impedance! 

Here are two of my favourite Merlin sources:

FiiO E12A IEM edition:

Galaxy Note 4:

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,249 of 1,290
My Merlins (universal not custom) have always been loose on any cable - to the point where they would fall off when I take them out of my bag or pocket, or the cable would pull out when I wrap it around my ear. Have sent them to UM for repair (in Shanghai, I believe). Will report back when they return.

On the plus side, I'd like to pay tribute to the customer service person. Rachel, if you are reading this, you do a great job and it really does make a difference to us customers.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #1,252 of 1,290
Has anyone tried using the Fiio E18 with the Merlins?  I'm wondering how well they pair.

Thanks!

The E12/E12A has a deep soundstage. The center stage is pushed back a bit. The Merlin's vocal is a bit recessed for some people, that can lead a to recessed vocal. The E12A itself is a very good amp, more treble details and more neutral than E12.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #1,255 of 1,290

The website lists them as 12ohm.

To be honest, 10-16ohm is negligible to us end-users. At any rate, it's difficult to measure precisely, but we buyers should be aware of it when choosing a source for our babies. 

Choose a source with a very low output impedance! 

Here are two of my favourite Merlin sources:

FiiO E12A IEM edition:

Galaxy Note 4:

do you like it?

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,258 of 1,290
  Do you guys think that the treble can get a bit too harsh with a silver cable? been thinking of getting one.

You may consider silver + gold which in our experience reduces the harshness commonly found in pure silver.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Aug 27, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,259 of 1,290
Do you guys think that the treble can get a bit too harsh with a silver cable? been thinking of getting one.

Never noticed any harshness from my songs thus far but the quality, depth, and punch is so much better w an 8 core silver than a 4-core version. With gold and silver I found its more like an improved copper version, so still like the silvers better..ymmv though it's a very subjective matter :)
Play around w the source to ascertain.. I found the differences is minimal but noticeable depending on the source as well. (E.g. iPhone-cable-merlin vs dap-cable-merlin, iPhone/dap-amp/dac+amp-cable-merlin)

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #1,260 of 1,290

Sometimes a little tiny, but you have to be very sensitive to harshness (like I am) and the album has to be badly recorded. In 90% of cases everything is perfectly fine and I can hear with the Melins for hours without noticable fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back