REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Mar 28, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #1,216 of 1,290
How do they fit?

Good question. The actual IEMs fit well, but I've already been through three pairs of tips that came with the Merlins, and have wound up using double flange tips from my Earsonics Velvet box. it seems that half of the supplied tips with the a Merlins don't fit at all.

Unfortunately there was also a loose connection on the left earpiece. I switched the stock cable for an aftermarket cable that I use with my Earsonics S-EM6, and they sound amazing. So I've emailed UM to ask about replacing the cable.

PS agree with posts above that the bass is less than I'd expected (which isn't a problem for me), but the bass is nevertheless very tight and punchy.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #1,217 of 1,290
Oh, I thought they were customs. So the problem is with the cable, not the 2 pin slot on the Merlin itself? I wonder how these differ from your Denons.

And yeah, every time I put these on I am hit first with the insane detail and fleshing out of the sounds and immense seperation. After 20 seconds of my initial excitement when everything settles into place, I'm like "damn bass, I like the way you touch me".

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #1,218 of 1,290
Well said! The separation is fantastic.

Yah I think it's the cable. They are amazing with my aftermarket Effect Audio cable through iP6 and Hugo.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,219 of 1,290
  The best part about the bass on the Merlin is how well it responds to EQ.

Even with huge bass-boosts, they won't struggle at all to deliver a true basshead performance. 

Totally agree! Probably for some audiophiles I have a ridicoulous bass boost on my Rockboxed H320, but the Merlins keep up with no big issues.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,220 of 1,290
Don't get me wrong, these are not bass light CIEMs. It seems that I'm getting adjusted to the type of bass boost or perhaps my mind is messing with me, but on my reference bass test track I now notice an increased bass presence compared to when I first listened to the Merlin. I chose the Merlin to get a an IEM that combined the performance of the IE80 (bass) and the UE900s (clarity). And I have to say so far it seems that the Merlin is exactly that. I might write a review on the Merlin and compare them to those two universals (when I have the time to do so and when I've spent more time with them!)       

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,221 of 1,290
That track is pretty damn cool. Most of the bass in that song is mid bass focused, and where the Merlins really have a big boost is in the sub bass.

Check out this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0qwGPpimic

Delicious and soothing.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #1,222 of 1,290
Any views on best tips for universal Merlins? I'm using the white double flange tips that came boxed. Not sure if I'm getting the full effect - all seems a touch trebly (not bad by any means, but not as good as I remember from my demo). I appreciate mileage varies based on one's ear shape etc, but good to know if there's an accepted winner.

I'm also using a non-stock cable, as the stock one was damaged on arrival. Tried an Effect Audio one which was nice but still a bit trebly, and now using Headphone Lounge silver litz-type thing, balanced rather than single ended. Again, will be impacting the tone, but it should be affecting them positively.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,224 of 1,290
Trebly? Hmm.. My impression of the (custom) merlin is "rounded", I don't find it particularly spiky.

I wonder if it is indeed the tips, or the enclosures themselves? 

Might just be that I'm not getting a good enough seal, in which case I suppose the treble would seem more if I lost a bit of bass from an imperfect fit?

Just this minute switched from Earsonics Velvet into iP6 > Hugo (single ended) playing Tidal tracks, to the Merlins with balanced cable in AK120 (16/44.1 and 24/192 quality) and they are definitely more upper-middly. Perhaps I'm just getting more detail at the top end of the mix - it's certainly incredibly crisp-sounding.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #1,225 of 1,290
  Trebly? Hmm.. My impression of the (custom) merlin is "rounded", I don't find it particularly spiky.

I hear sometimes some little spikes (or shoutiness) in the upper mids, but I guess that's coming rather from worse mastering. In general the Merlins are pretty smooth, although still very clear.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,226 of 1,290
I hear sometimes some little spikes (or shoutiness) in the upper mids, but I guess that's coming rather from worse mastering. In general the Merlins are pretty smooth, although still very clear.

"shoutiness" - That's a great description! And yes I think some of these IEMs really exacerbate that style of production on certain albums.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,227 of 1,290

Treble on these is smooooth. I very rarely get fatigue listening and I attribute that more to the sometimes excessive bass.

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,229 of 1,290
Anybody from the Merlin owners had the possibility to compare them to the universal Mentors?

I have auditioned the Mason, Mentor, Merlin and JH Roxanne, all universal fit. The Mason has a different tuning than Mentor/Merlin, the highs energy is reduced. The Mentor/Merlin are much brighter. I see HD800 vs LCD3 analogy here. The Mentor is a fun sounding iem, great in technicalities too. The Mason is more geared towards live reproduction of acoustic. I think they are both of about the same SQ, but very different tuning. When I first heard the Roxanne together with the 846, I thought wow, the Roxanne was much better, I thought this was almost fullsize headphone-like. But next to Mason or mentor, the Roxanne sounded muffled, no kidding, Roxanne, muffled! The clarity and air in these UM cans are absolutely unbelievable. Between the Merlin and Mentor, the Mentor has a somewhat up front or intimate presentation. The Mentor had more details from top to bottom and sound more coherent too. I ended up buying the Merlin as I thought it has the best value for money and I prefer a more relaxed presentation.

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,230 of 1,290
I have auditioned the Mason, Mentor, Merlin and JH Roxanne, all universal fit. The Mason has a different tuning than Mentor/Merlin, the highs energy is reduced. The Mentor/Merlin are much brighter. I see HD800 vs LCD3 analogy here. The Mentor is a fun sounding iem, great in technicalities too. The Mason is more geared towards live reproduction of acoustic. I think they are both of about the same SQ, but very different tuning. When I first heard the Roxanne together with the 846, I thought wow, the Roxanne was much better, I thought this was almost fullsize headphone-like. But next to Mason or mentor, the Roxanne sounded muffled, no kidding, Roxanne, muffled! The clarity and air in these UM cans are absolutely unbelievable. Between the Merlin and Mentor, the Mentor has a somewhat up front or intimate presentation. The Mentor had more details from top to bottom and sound more coherent too. I ended up buying the Merlin as I thought it has the best value for money and I prefer a more relaxed presentation.

Cool comparison bro and welcome to the family :p

Id'e like to ask a few questions out of curiosity. 

Do you feel the Merlin was technically in the same league with the bigger guys?
Which had the largest sound stage?
Do you feel there is something special about the dynamic driver presentation of bass of the Merlin compared to the TOTL BA configurations of the other IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back