REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Feb 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #391 of 1,290

Quote:
Ah, what shame. Obviously, fit and sound are the most important aspects, but still.. I mean, you pay quite a substantial amount of money for CIEMs so you kinda want it to be done right.

Really odd that I always had the impressions that UM always had top notch builds and lately it seems everyone is experiencing some sort of issue with theirs.

Yes I must say I'm very happy that mine turned out perfect after the refit. I'm almost convinced that they were done by two different people because the build quality was significantly better the second time around. But it really is unfortunate though that they've been messing up so often, even something as simple as not reading the order form properly and getting the color completely wrong. For the price you pay, everything should be perfect. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #393 of 1,290
Borrowed a macro lens from a co-worker to do some close-ups:

2 of the 4 BA driver in the left monitor

The two soundtubes (treble/midrange + bass)

The text on my left monitor. Click to see a bigger version, or get an even better view here. The text is uneven, looks like there's a few specs of dust and there is quite a few bubbles there as well. This is simply not good enough for a £575 CIEM. UM UK seem to maintain radio silence so I'll have to see if UM Global feels like answering emails tomorrow. I am not happy about this and ignoring me won't make me go away, it'll only make me even less pleased. Unique Melody, I know you're watching the thread: Get in touch with me!

Artwork on my right monitor. Again uneven, but better than the text. More than a few bubbles tho. Bigger pic here.

An impurity or scratch on the right monitor. Looks like a piece of lint caught in the red shell. Not a huge and glaring error, but it should NOT be possible for stuff like this to happen in a pro CIEM lab. 

I'm pretty damn torn on what to do. I LOVE the sound and the fit is nice so waiting for a reshell (and risking they come back even worse) is not my top priority. On the other hand, I don't feel like I've got a £575 product here. The disintegrating display case isn't helping either.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #394 of 1,290
I'd say just keep it and enjoy the sound. I'm sort of regretting sending mine to get reshelled in the correct colour. I could have lived with 2 green earpieces but instead I'm having to wait another month to get them back.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #395 of 1,290
Hey,

It's extremely hard to do those laser artworks with paint as you can imagine, and I do believe that UM lab tries to make it nice for everyone. 

Also, I apologize for the uncommunicativeness of UM UK. 

If you are still unhappy, please contact them to work something out. 

Cheers,
Stephen

Quote:
Borrowed a macro lens from a co-worker to do some close-ups:

2 of the 4 BA driver in the left monitor

The two soundtubes (treble/midrange + bass)

The text on my left monitor. Click to see a bigger version, or get an even better view here. The text is uneven, looks like there's a few specs of dust and there is quite a few bubbles there as well. This is simply not good enough for a £575 CIEM. UM UK seem to maintain radio silence so I'll have to see if UM Global feels like answering emails tomorrow. I am not happy about this and ignoring me won't make me go away, it'll only make me even less pleased. Unique Melody, I know you're watching the thread: Get in touch with me!

Artwork on my right monitor. Again uneven, but better than the text. More than a few bubbles tho. Bigger pic here.

An impurity or scratch on the right monitor. Looks like a piece of lint caught in the red shell. Not a huge and glaring error, but it should NOT be possible for stuff like this to happen in a pro CIEM lab. 

I'm pretty damn torn on what to do. I LOVE the sound and the fit is nice so waiting for a reshell (and risking they come back even worse) is not my top priority. On the other hand, I don't feel like I've got a £575 product here. The disintegrating display case isn't helping either.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #397 of 1,290

Quote:

Just flicked you an email Soren, please disregard any foundationless justifications comparisons above.  They do not represent our company beliefs.

Email received and replied to, thanks for taking the time to get in touch 
smile.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #398 of 1,290
As I have posted earlier, I am madly in love with the sound of my Merlins - I will attempt to elaborate a bit on that statement here. This will be my first "review" here on Head-fi and English is not my first language, so go easy on me 
smile.gif

I listen to all (literally, maybe excluding jpop) kinds of music and I use in-ears for at least 6 hours a day. Yesterday I hit the 9-hour mark in one sitting so I need an IEM that goes well with a lot of different music AND is perfectly comfortable for long sessions. I like my music to have energy and nerve, a sense of presense rather than a clinical presentation of the sound so I guess I was looking for something "musical" rather than analytical. I had the Future Sonics Atrio a while ago and I loved their kick and energy but detail retrieval left a lot to be desired. Awesome bass tho, when I turned up the EQ on my J3 I could literally SEE the bass because my eyeballs were vibrating. After scouring the net and especially Head-Fi for The Perfect CIEM I came acrosse the Merlin. 4 BA drivers for treble and midrange - I wanted that. I was using the W3 as my daily headphone and I really liked midrange and treble those two BA drivers produced so double that should sound pretty nice I figured. While the W3 is the "fun" Westone, the bass still had me wanting more, the Atrios had spoiled me I guess. The Merlin had a dynamic driver like the Atrio, but just for the bass. Oh man, W3 treble and midrange with Atrio bass? Stuff was sold and I ordered the Merlins.

When they turned up 8 weeks later I was beyond excited to finally listen to what on paper looked like my perfect headphone. The fit was very good, so they just slipped right into my ears and stayed there. The sound, however, was not as I had expected. It was MUCH better! I was expecting that deep, powerful bass that only a dynamic driver can deliver and I sure got what I wished for - and then some! On Rammsteins track "Ich Tu Dir Weh" the bass drum has amazing weight and depth to its sound, but manages to maintain the crisp, dry punch as well. Cymbals stood out crystal clear and just floated effortlessly and immensly detailed above the soundscape. I can tell that it's brass getting hit with a drumstick, not just random noise in the treble region. Even with (at times) fast paced and complex, somewhat "noisy" music like Rammstein I can easily pick apart the individual instruments. Only after getting the Merlin have I been able to tell the two (synchronously playing) guitars from eachother. The most amazing part is that all of this is done without the Merlins ever getting analytical or dry like the HD800. I can't help bopping my head and tapping my feet when listening to the Merlins. All those details and nuances are clear cut but somehow presented as a whole. No other headphone I have ever hear has managed to do that - except the Stax SR-009, but that's a bit out of this league (and lacks bass). 

The Merlin is a fun, enjoyable headphone but it's fun and enjoyable no matter what music you listen to. It has me rocking out and playing the air-drums to Rammstein and Metallica at work but is equally capable of portraying every single fine nuance of Allison Krauss' voice when I feel like listening to her music. Bon Iver is downright amazing on the Merlin as well, as is my old favorite crazy-bitch-rockers Skunk  Anansie. Their lead singer Skin has the hands down greatest voice I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy live (Don't believe me? Check this out) and all the finely grained detail and emotion in her voice is flawlessly reproduced by the Merlins while the guitar, drum and bass from the band lays down the almost punk-ish rocking foundation their music is built on. 

To sum up the sound of the Merlins in one word, I would describe their sound as effortless. No matter what I trow at them, be it classical, speed metal, rock, pop, choir, female vocals or acoustic performances, they just deliver beautifully detailed and rich sound without ever breaking a sweat. Off course, that huge dynamic driver (see the pics I posted earlier) means that electronic music really shines with superb treble clarity on top of a bass that you can literally feel in your throat and chest - but unlike other heavy hitters in the bass section, it never bleeds into the midrange or in any way disturbs the sound. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #399 of 1,290
So you get from your Merlins an Atrio-like bass? Strange, that's not what I hear/feel and I have great fit.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #400 of 1,290

Quote:
So you get from your Merlins an Atrio-like bass? Strange, that's not what I hear/feel and I have great fit.

I get the same loooooow bas and awesome punch as I did from the Atrios, yes. But the Merlins are soooo much more refined. If the Merlin is a Ferrari 430 Scuderia the Atrio is a 69 Vette: They're both damn fast in a straight line but the Ferrari can do SO much more than just that...

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #401 of 1,290
Do you get it straight from your J3? Or do you use an amp? I have to use the Fiio E11 with my iRiver H320 to get the Atrio-like bass. Maybe my Merlins are harder to drive than I expected?

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #402 of 1,290

Quote:
Do you get it straight from your J3? Or do you use an amp? I have to use the Fiio E11 with my iRiver H320 to get the Atrio-like bass. Maybe my Merlins are harder to drive than I expected?

I'm running them off the HRT HeadStreamer - sorry I forgot to post that! No EQ or bass boost used, just FooBar -> ASIO -> HeadStreamer -> Merlin.

But I've been considering a balanced amp like the RSA SR71B or the Protector, just to see how they would respond to a balanced setup.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #403 of 1,290
If you do try the SR-71B, do let me know if you hear a bad "rumble". I posted my findings on this last week :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566965/review-unique-melody-merlin-hybrid-dynamic-balanced-armature-custom-iem/360#post_8172915

I don't know if it's -my- Merlins or if in general the SR-71B & Merlins don't mix.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #404 of 1,290
Hey Sorensiim, glad that you are really diggin the Merlin, I knew you wouldnt be dissapointed with this beast....Wrapped for ya, as I know this was not an easy descision for you.
Love the Colour you chose also, very arty indeed. Is it All Clear Red or do i detect a smoke black faceplate?

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #405 of 1,290

Quote:
Hey Sorensiim, glad that you are really diggin the Merlin, I knew you wouldnt be dissapointed with this beast....Wrapped for ya, as I know this was not an easy descision for you.
Love the Colour you chose also, very arty indeed. Is it All Clear Red or do i detect a smoke black faceplate?

They're both translucent dark red (blood red actually) with a smoke black faceplate. Those shots make them look lighter than they really are, I'll see if I can get some shots that show the colors better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back