REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Mar 12, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #422 of 1,290
Ah cool. I was confused by all the UniqueMelody's around here
redface.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #424 of 1,290
When I first got my Merlins I loved the sound and the fit. But I couldn't shake the feeling that the sound was somehow out of balance... Like it was shifted to the left. At first I thought I got a better seal from the left monitor, but the attenuation of outside sounds was equally good on both sides and the imbalance wasn't present on all my music...

But today it struck me: The low bass is completely absent on the right monitor. If I shift the balance on the source all the way to the right, It sounds like my next door neighbor is hitting a cardboard box. If I shift it to the left, I get deep, hard-hitting bass. This is naturally flat out un-acceptable and I have emailed UM Global as well as UM UK. Both of them doesn't seem too keen on replying to emails though, so I'll be calling them in a few minutes. 

I am VERY anxious to see how their customer service handles this.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #425 of 1,290
I'm sorry to hear that Sorensiim. I would prepare yourself for a long, frustrating wait in getting the issue resolved though. It's been over a month now since I sent my earpiece back to get it changed to the correct colour. 
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #427 of 1,290
I sold off my Westone 3 just last week... 

I have no idea how I'll make it through a day at work without IEMs, I need them to block out the office noise or I'm completely unable to focus on my tasks. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #428 of 1,290
Quote:
When I first got my Merlins I loved the sound and the fit. But I couldn't shake the feeling that the sound was somehow out of balance... Like it was shifted to the left. At first I thought I got a better seal from the left monitor, but the attenuation of outside sounds was equally good on both sides and the imbalance wasn't present on all my music...

But today it struck me: The low bass is completely absent on the right monitor. If I shift the balance on the source all the way to the right, It sounds like my next door neighbor is hitting a cardboard box. If I shift it to the left, I get deep, hard-hitting bass. This is naturally flat out un-acceptable and I have emailed UM Global as well as UM UK. Both of them doesn't seem too keen on replying to emails though, so I'll be calling them in a few minutes. 

I am VERY anxious to see how their customer service handles this.

You've tried swapping the L<->R cable connection with the IEMs to confirm that it follows the IEM, not the channel?

I had a problem with distortion with my SE530x8 and (luckily!) I got mine via Stephen Guo of Custom-IEM. He was extremely helpful in getting UM to fixing it 'cos my 1st attempt in sending it back, UM said they couldn't find the issue. It took 2 attempts (and as such over 8 weeks) to resolve the issue.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #429 of 1,290

Quote:

You've tried swapping the L<->R cable connection with the IEMs to confirm that it follows the IEM, not the channel?

I had a problem with distortion with my SE530x8 and (luckily!) I got mine via Stephen Guo of Custom-IEM. He was extremely helpful in getting UM to fixing it 'cos my 1st attempt in sending it back, UM said they couldn't find the issue. It took 2 attempts (and as such over 8 weeks) to resolve the issue.

Had the same issue.  Try switching the polarity of the cable, as in the turning the cable around on the same side.  That should do the trick.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #430 of 1,290
No distortion, the right side is completely lacking bass. Swapping the cables does nothing for it, only makes the rest of the sound spectrum all wonky. 

*Sigh* Matt from UM Global is still the only one replying to emails. Not a peep from UM UK despite me calling them - the woman answering the phone told me that someone would call me right back... 5 hours ago. 

I understand that all companies will have errors and stuff happens - but this should really have been picked up in the QC. And when it somehow slips through the QC on a pair of expensive customs like these, you set the world in motion to get it fixed. So far the experience of getting my first set of customs has been a mixed one. I love the sound from them, but the hassle involved with actually getting them is far worse than I ever thought it would be. I hope I'll hear back from UM UK tomorrow and that they have some sort of good news for me.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #433 of 1,290
Do keep us posted on what they do.

I am currently in the UK, looking eagerly at buying Merlins. I'm a starving student, but audio is the only thing that I really care about - so I'm saving up to buy these.

These reports of really inexcusable mistakes do make my heart jump a bit though, I just don't have money to waste, but the Merlins seem to be "the IEMs" for me based on everything I have read.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #434 of 1,290
Just got my refit after a ~2 month wait anddddd... it's a no go. Fit is average - left side is too "full", right side not full enough - that by itself would have been fine, but the left earpiece seems to have a blown driver or something. 150-300Hz makes it buzz/emit static and rise/dip in volume.

Sent an email, hope there's a fix without another 2 month wait + 40$ shipping cost. If there isn't, might have to go for a refund...

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #435 of 1,290
My personal advice to anyone returning their UM IEMs for sound quality repair (distortion, not up to standard, etc).

Unless its blatantly obvious that UM can pick up the fault immediately or quickly (i.e. under few mins of general testing), work through your distributor & get their backing before sending it back to UM China. They get a much better trust from UM China & therefore greater credibility to your problem than you working with UM China direct.

I sent back my SE530x8 for distortion issues & they sent it back saying there was no problem. With the volume of sales they're getting from their promo and group buy deals, I think they hardly spend much time testing quality faults.

Only when I recorded the distortion & sent the file to Stephen Guo (& he confirmed it was a genuine fault after a bunch of cable & channel swaps) did UM China take it more seriously & it was fixed 2nd time around. All up including sending it twice, I was without a working IEM from early October to late December.

That's 3 months (budgeting Chinese Labour holidays, etc) out of a 12 month warranty that's not within my hands (note "upgrades" have 1 yr warranty unlike complete products like Merlin's/Miracles).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back