Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
Aug 8, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #556 of 847
It gets hot, but I can still touch it.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #557 of 847
i got a reply from David.

What he said was that i may have an earlier revision of the circuit board which contains differently rated resistors and that i am missing some extra filtering capacitors which are included in a newer design.

He gave me several options including replacing the resistors with 5W versions (?) of the 150k and 180k Ohm resistors which can be purchased and repaired locally.

the other option would be to send it back to factory where they will upgrade the circuit board and resistors etc. All i gotta do is pay for the shipping both ways.

What do you guys think i should do?

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #559 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismohks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got a reply from David.

What he said was that i may have an earlier revision of the circuit board which contains differently rated resistors and that i am missing some extra filtering capacitors which are included in a newer design.

He gave me several options including replacing the resistors with 5W versions (?) of the 150k and 180k Ohm resistors which can be purchased and repaired locally.

the other option would be to send it back to factory where they will upgrade the circuit board and resistors etc. All i gotta do is pay for the shipping both ways.

What do you guys think i should do?

If your budget is tight, then the local fix might be the least expensive.
I have to say though, if the shipping doesn't bother you, getting the latest board and components installed sounds very tempting! If you consider your MKIVse to be a keeper, then send it in. I think I would do this (if shipping wasn't a problem).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #560 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so which components is the chassis serving as a heatsink to? looking at some pics, the components are mounted on PCB - i doubt those would be it as the PCB would also heat up and burn up the traces in the process.

Tubes? but the bases are isolated from the chassis.

Ow, I caused confusion.
smily_headphones1.gif
My bad.

Heat from all the components and some from the tubes and some from the transformer (via transference), is trapped inside the unit. The aluminum case helps transfer this trapped heat to the outside. Only the transformer and the board are directly bolted to the case (thank goodness).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #561 of 847
yer ill most probably be sending the unit back in.

he says there are new filtering caps as well as the updated resistors so taht will help in the long run i guess :p the labour and parts costs will be free as well! so all i gotta do is pay for shipping both ways... which is probably like $100US i THINK....

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #562 of 847
hey guys, i just ordered my 3 days today. David sent me the reference guide. I have a few things i'm not sure. They talked about the Gain Control. What does it do? I have the Sen Hd650, what gain should i put 10, 5,4,3? Also I have the AV Reciever Onkyo TX-NR 801 which has the preamp output. Can i connect them to my mkivse? does it damge the amp? Will it improve sound quality?

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #564 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinvisionm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, i just ordered my 3 days today. David sent me the reference guide. I have a few things i'm not sure. They talked about the Gain Control. What does it do? I have the Sen Hd650, what gain should i put 10, 5,4,3? Also I have the AV Reciever Onkyo TX-NR 801 which has the preamp output. Can i connect them to my mkivse? does it damge the amp? Will it improve sound quality?

Hi KV,

The gain control is for adjusting the amp to your headphones. In the case of the HD-650's, a gain of 10 is usually used.

The best way to hook up your MKIVse to the receiver, is by using one of the tape loops. Let's say Tape 2. REC OUT would go to the input of the MKIVse, and the PLAY would go to the output of the MKIVse.

This will allow you to listen to any source connected to the receiver, with the MKIVse, and it will also allow you to listen to speakers, with any source playing, and the MKIVse adding a "tubed" sound to it, if you want, by monitoring Tape 2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #565 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi KV,

The gain control is for adjusting the amp to your headphones. In the case of the HD-650's, a gain of 10 is usually used.

The best way to hook up your MKIVse to the receiver, is by using one of the tape loops. Let's say Tape 2. REC OUT would go to the input of the MKIVse, and the PLAY would go to the output of the MKIVse.

This will allow you to listen to any source connected to the receiver, with the MKIVse, and it will also allow you to listen to speakers, with any source playing, and the MKIVse adding a "tubed" sound to it, if you want, by monitoring Tape 2.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks Penchum, i thought the output of mkivse is only function for preamp which i dont need. My reciever got the preamp output so i would use it as preamp and then connect to input of the mkivse. I'm sorry but i do'nt get the part where you said rec OUt and Play. Can't i just use the preamp from my reciever instead of the the REc you said? Thanks Penchum again

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #566 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinvisionm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks Penchum, i thought the output of mkivse is only function for preamp which i dont need. My reciever got the preamp output so i would use it as preamp and then connect to input of the mkivse. I'm sorry but i do'nt get the part where you said rec OUt and Play. Can't i just use the preamp from my reciever instead of the the REc you said? Thanks Penchum again

The input on the MKIVse is meant for line level signals. The output is variable with the volume knob, so it can act as a pre-amp for a separate amplifier, if needed.

On your receiver, look to see if it has Tape 1 and Tape 2 selections. If it does, and you look at the rear of the unit, you'll find the REC OUT and PLAY RCA jacks there.

I don't know of anyone who is using the receiver's pre-outs to the input of the MKIVse. It would be like having 2 pre-amps, when only one is necessary.

The idea of using the tape loop, has advantages. One, the REC OUT signal is a line level signal, which you would have going to the input of the MKIVse. Two, the MKIVse's output would be going to the PLAY or input of the receiver. All you would have to do is turn the MKIVse's volume knob up far enough, to match the level of the other "line level" sources you have hooked up to the receiver. If you listen to speakers at all (I'm assuming you do), you can select a source on the receiver, and press to monitor Tape 2, and you will get the sources signal enhanced by the MKIVse, and hear it over your speakers. If you want to listen with headphones to any of those sources with the MKIVse, you would select the source, and plug your headphones into the MKIVse, and turn up it's volume. Very easy and simple to do. This is worth trying, if your receiver has the tape loop(s).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #567 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The input on the MKIVse is meant for line level signals. The output is variable with the volume knob, so it can act as a pre-amp for a separate amplifier, if needed.

On your receiver, look to see if it has Tape 1 and Tape 2 selections. If it does, and you look at the rear of the unit, you'll find the REC OUT and PLAY RCA jacks there.

I don't know of anyone who is using the receiver's pre-outs to the input of the MKIVse. It would be like having 2 pre-amps, when only one is necessary.

The idea of using the tape loop, has advantages. One, the REC OUT signal is a line level signal, which you would have going to the input of the MKIVse. Two, the MKIVse's output would be going to the PLAY or input of the receiver. All you would have to do is turn the MKIVse's volume knob up far enough, to match the level of the other "line level" sources you have hooked up to the receiver. If you listen to speakers at all (I'm assuming you do), you can select a source on the receiver, and press to monitor Tape 2, and you will get the sources signal enhanced by the MKIVse, and hear it over your speakers. If you want to listen with headphones to any of those sources with the MKIVse, you would select the source, and plug your headphones into the MKIVse, and turn up it's volume. Very easy and simple to do. This is worth trying, if your receiver has the tape loop(s).
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool, i get it now. thanks very much

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #568 of 847
so i just received my repaired mkivse yesterday, and one of the things i noticed was that this unit does not get as hot as my previous unit!

without too much testing, this newer unit only gets lukewarm at best, whereas my previous unit got quite warm to the touch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back