Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
Apr 4, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #346 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danika k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, whats the word on the mobile audio GE 6AK5 tubes? I looked at all the threads but couldnt find an impression...

I'm sorry, I forgot what other tubes you said you have, so I'm not sure where these would stand in your line up.
redface.gif
I do know that the GE Mobiles could easily become "everyday" listening tubes, because they lack nothing and cost very little.
smily_headphones1.gif
I seem to remember they were pretty good with all types of music too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Looks like Ethebull called it right on the nose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #347 of 847
Is it normal for the LD MK IV (SE) to make a kind of "light bulb filament" noise through the headphone when everything is turned on? It only happens when I knock on the side of the unit, or the desk shakes slightly.

The sound only comes through the right side of my headphone, btw.
confused.gif

I'm guessing that a tube on the right side is prone to vibrating, and thus sends it along to what I hear?

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #348 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Occidio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this may be the end? I'm sure glad I picked one up while I had the chance!

I agree. It was a very good option deal and will be missed. Thank goodness the MKIV standard is no slouch! This will allow others to get in on the excellent MKIV sound and they can upgrade tubes and such whenever they like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #349 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it normal for the LD MK IV (SE) to make a kind of "light bulb filament" noise through the headphone when everything is turned on? It only happens when I knock on the side of the unit, or the desk shakes slightly.

The sound only comes through the right side of my headphone, btw.
confused.gif

I'm guessing that a tube on the right side is prone to vibrating, and thus sends it along to what I hear?

Yes, that is pretty normal for NOS tubes. Some of that might diminish with more hours on them, and sometimes it won't. It is microphonics, but it is ok unless the tube is making the sound all by itself. I have a set of Hytrons that are so sensitive due to microphonics, I can't even touch anything on the amp or near where the amp is sitting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #350 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that is pretty normal for NOS tubes. Some of that might diminish with more hours on them, and sometimes it won't. It is microphonics, but it is ok unless the tube is making the sound all by itself. I have a set of Hytrons that are so sensitive due to microphonics, I can't even touch anything on the amp or near where the amp is sitting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah phew, thank you for alleviating my fears of a return.
cool.gif

BTW, you have a quick PM coming your way, if you don't mind.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for replying...I primarily use Grados, so they won't really work out for me or my ears.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #351 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah phew, thank you for alleviating my fears of a return.
cool.gif

BTW, you have a quick PM coming your way, if you don't mind.
biggrin.gif

No problem! I'm always here to help if I can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #353 of 847
hi
this is one of 4 amps i am considering to buy.
i have 40ohm cans, would the power output of the amp have good volume for these?
cant find them on ebay so cant find price for amp and shipping to uk?
how would it compare to a dv332?
i have read many specs on different amps on here and elsewhere. it seems that ss amps offer greater power output to lower imp cans than tube units!
why is this or am i missing the point?
my cans are closed (ath-a900) and many say have a "warm" sound, as in that associated with tube amps! would i be better going with tubes or ss to compliment them?
i have been researching now for a good couple of months, and while i have leant a lot, i dont feel any nearer to deciding on which amp to go for! (or dac for that matter! though i think it will be a keces 131)
any input welcome.

btw my amp shortlist is:
SS LDmkv or GS solo intro
tube LDmk 4se or DV332

Apr 5, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #354 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi
this is one of 4 amps i am considering to buy.
i have 40ohm cans, would the power output of the amp have good volume for these?
cant find them on ebay so cant find price for amp and shipping to uk?
how would it compare to a dv332?
i have read many specs on different amps on here and elsewhere. it seems that ss amps offer greater power output to lower imp cans than tube units!
why is this or am i missing the point?
my cans are closed (ath-a900) and many say have a "warm" sound, as in that associated with tube amps! would i be better going with tubes or ss to compliment them?
i have been researching now for a good couple of months, and while i have leant a lot, i dont feel any nearer to deciding on which amp to go for! (or dac for that matter! though i think it will be a keces 131)
any input welcome.

btw my amp shortlist is:
SS LDmkv or GS solo intro
tube LDmk 4se or DV332

Thats a pretty good short list. Here is something that might help a little. With an SS amp, you are pretty much locked into how your source sounds. If you have a good source, the SS amps will do their thing with very little changes to the sound. Tube amps are only locked into which tubes you have installed. They are much more forgiving when it comes to the sound of your source. You can change tube sets and make a completely different sound output. This is a very attractive "variable" to have at your command.
smily_headphones1.gif

All Little-Dot tube amps have variable gain adjustments, so there will be plenty of output for your phones. The MKII, MKIII and MKIV all share the same tube family usage (EF95 & EF92), and this is a plus in many ways. Postings by users who find a new tube set and like it, will most likely give you similar results on any of the three models of tube amps. This makes tube rolling a community affair and has helped hundreds of users save money on tube rolling.

The MKV dual mono SS amp is an amazing headphone amp. It does require a good clean source (most quality SS amps do) in order to appreciate it's finer points. It is a steal at it's price point, and hard to dismiss.
smily_headphones1.gif
Those who have one consider it to be one of the best SS headphone amp they have ever had. It is super clean, quiet and dynamic with all types of music. It works well with almost all headphones and doesn't seem to have any issues with more or less demanding headphones.

Avoid the "equipment for a specific headphone" trap if you can. You will be saving yourself from a bunch of grief. In your situation, I don't think you could go wrong with either the MKIV or the MKV. Maybe you could get one now, and the other later? I have both and can't imagine selling either one. They both bring a different presentation to my music and I like both presentations very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #355 of 847
Quote:

Thats a pretty good short list. Here is something that might help a little. With an SS amp, you are pretty much locked into how your source sounds. If you have a good source, the SS amps will do their thing with very little changes to the sound. Tube amps are only locked into which tubes you have installed. They are much more forgiving when it comes to the sound of your source. You can change tube sets and make a completely different sound output. This is a very attractive "variable" to have at your command.
smily_headphones1.gif

All Little-Dot tube amps have variable gain adjustments, so there will be plenty of output for your phones. The MKII, MKIII and MKIV all share the same tube family usage (EF95 & EF92), and this is a plus in many ways. Postings by users who find a new tube set and like it, will most likely give you similar results on any of the three models of tube amps. This makes tube rolling a community affair and has helped hundreds of users save money on tube rolling.

The MKV dual mono SS amp is an amazing headphone amp. It does require a good clean source (most quality SS amps do) in order to appreciate it's finer points. It is a steal at it's price point, and hard to dismiss.
smily_headphones1.gif
Those who have one consider it to be one of the best SS headphone amp they have ever had. It is super clean, quiet and dynamic with all types of music. It works well with almost all headphones and doesn't seem to have any issues with more or less demanding headphones.

Avoid the "equipment for a specific headphone" trap if you can. You will be saving yourself from a bunch of grief. In your situation, I don't think you could go wrong with either the MKIV or the MKV. Maybe you could get one now, and the other later? I have both and can't imagine selling either one. They both bring a different presentation to my music and I like both presentations very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Penchum
thanks for the advice.
after reading your reviews i am set on something from the LD family!
i still have a shortlist of, mk3 , 4se and mk5.
i will be using pc as source only initially. then later adding a dac (keces 131 or zero).
my pc has onboard sound(ac97) . this has optical output. when i come to add a dac would i be wise to add a better sound card also, ie prelude?

i assume from your reviews my mp3 collection (all 320kb) would be a bit naff for the mk5?
so as i see it i have 2 options.
re-rip my collection to lossless for the mk5, or buy the mk4se!
trouble is the mk4's seem scarce at the moment!?!?
wish i could buy both, but no chance.
thanks again
simon

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #356 of 847
Quote:

Penchum
thanks for the advice.
i will be using pc as source only initially. then later adding a dac (keces 131 or zero).
my pc has onboard sound(ac97) . this has optical output. when i come to add a dac would i be wise to add a better sound card also, ie prelude?

i assume from your reviews my mp3 collection (all 320kb) would be a bit naff for the mk5?
thanks again
simon

Well, you have a good point about the lossless vs 320s. With the MKV, you would notice a big difference between the two. I have this same problem. I haven't had time to re-rip my collection either.
smily_headphones1.gif
But, now that I have both the MKV and MKIVse, I know that investing the time to re-rip them will not be a waste. I think you would draw the same conclusion whether you had the MKV or MKIV. The MKIV is going to be more forgiving if you do play some 320s to get you by, until all of them have been re-ripped.
smily_headphones1.gif

On the MKIVse, it looks like the "se" option is all done. You could email DavidZ and ask him for sure on this, but others have posted about the end of the "se".

The MKIV is an excellent amp and it is compatible (driver tube wise) with the MKII and MKIII. It is also an OTL designed amp like the MKIVse was, so you don't really loose anything SQ wise. It doesn't have the same stock tubes the MKIVse had, but most users plan on buying better tubes anyway, so this isn't really a bad thing.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #357 of 847
Hey all. I've been loving my MKIVse for the last month, but today all is not well with the little guy. Sudden large decrease in volume across the board -- turning up the pot doesn't help, just starts to grossly distort the sound.

This is my first ever tube component, so I'm clueless here. All the tubes still light, but I'm guessing one is going bad? How do I tell which? I have the EHs and Mullards.

Glum.
frown.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #358 of 847
Quote:

Penchum
thanks for the advice.

thanks again
simon

Be sure to order LME49710 opamps with your KECES. You're in for a treat. Really amazing. :wink: BTW I have the LDMKIII and K601. With the KECES a very good combination indeed.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #359 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all. I've been loving my MKIVse for the last month, but today all is not well with the little guy. Sudden large decrease in volume across the board -- turning up the pot doesn't help, just starts to grossly distort the sound.

This is my first ever tube component, so I'm clueless here. All the tubes still light, but I'm guessing one is going bad? How do I tell which? I have the EHs and Mullards.

Glum.
frown.gif

If it was in one channel, I would suspect that channels EH power tube. But, if it's both channels, you should email DavidZ with complete details and see what he says. It could be a number of different things if both channels are involved.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #360 of 847
Quote:

If it was in one channel, I would suspect that channels EH power tube. But, if it's both channels, you should email DavidZ with complete details and see what he says. It could be a number of different things if both channels are involved.

Thanks. Will do. It is affecting both channels equally.

Should add that up until now I've really enjoyed the amp and think it's a great little piece for the money. Hope to have it back up to 100% soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back